Menu

Another chapter book question...

MissKNG

I'm looking for another series of chapter books that are about the same level as The Magic School Bus and Arthur (shorter chapters with pictures). *Not Magic Tree House or My Weird School or "reader" chapter books.*

Is there anything else?

Of course there are other options...

Nate the Great

Mercy Watson

Judy Moody

Stink

Ivy and Bean

There are lots more too... ones I'm less enamored with, like Roscoe Riley, Pet Fairies, Cam Jansen, Captain Underpants...

If she's really into science (a la The Magic School Bus) there's the Andrew Lost books, which aren't much harder.

This is for your dd in your siggy? What's she into? Other than reading level, what do you want?

Edited by farrarwilliams
typo

This is for your dd in your siggy? What's she into? Other than reading level, what do you want?

Yes, for my big girl. I want a read aloud for bedtime and we are going through 2 MSB chapter books a week. We read more advanced books before but I like the shorter chapters. I want a series that is like Arthur - one or two whole pages of words then maybe a picture. The MSB is set up like that too.

I found "The Pony Pals" on the Scholastic website and thought about trying #1.

I'll check into the Andrew Lost books too...yes, she is a science nut!

Thanks!

I ordered this Pony Pal book from PBS! Has anyone read The Pony Pals?

My girls have read all the Pony Pal books at our library (only maybe 10? at our small town place). I would say they are slightly longer & with less pictures per chapter than what you are looking for. My horse-crazy girls like them (oldest as an easy-read & youngers as a read-aloud). Reading level about the same as the Magic Treehouse, I would say (roughly).

My father read the Wizard of Oz series to me when I was about 6-years-old. I'm currently reading it to my son. Most versions have pictures (but not on every page). My library actually had about four versions to choose from for the 1st book in the series.

My son will look at the book for the pages with pictures and just stare off into space for the pages that don't. He does seem to be still paying attention, because he can tell me what's going on in the book. I think the chapters may be longer than Magic Tree House, but they aren't bad--we read two chapters in a sitting.

My kids have enjoyed the Stepping Stones books. They have a set of Classics which include: Peter Pan, Treasure Island, Tom Sawyer, etc. They have other titles as well, not just abridgments of classic literature. Also, Scholastic has a junior classic reader series as well. I picked these up because my son was dying to read Tom Sawyer himself, but wasn't ready for the original.

HTH,

Leah