Menu

Indian maths?

I've downloaded these thanks to Stripe who brought them to this forum's attention. I got them at the "other website" (http://ncertbooks.prashanthellina.com/) as the Indian government site was "down."

I will caution that not all the math levels are complete in their "zipped" packages, and have to be downloaded as individual files as components of a full years textbook. It is a "mild pain" but the books are charming, and especially fun if you are a Cricket fan (as we are :D)

They look awesome on an iPad BTW.

Bill

I

I've posted before that the Indian education ministry (NCERT) has made their entire set of textbooks available online for free, and another website has organized them. (Please see the other thread if you have trouble with the Environmental Science book; I found the links at that time.) This includes Science and Math, as well as English, Social Studies, Business, Hindi, Urdu, and Sanskrit. Several people on this board have advised me that they are using these books for language learning.

I've downloaded these thanks to Stripe who brought them to this forum's attention. I got them at the "other website" (http://ncertbooks.prashanthellina.com/) as the Indian government site was "down."

I will caution that not all the math levels are complete in their "zipped" packages, and have to be downloaded as individual files as components of a full years textbook. It is a "mild pain" but the books are charming, and especially fun if you are a Cricket fan (as we are :D)

They look awesome on an iPad BTW.

Bill

Thank you very much. :)

You're not missing anything from not going to the Indian govt ministry website. It was almost impossible to figure out, at least for me.

The ZIP thing is new. They are also available for download as single chapter downloads, most of which work fine.

A warning: the shapes for Year 1 Maths are not available in the English books as there are no Teachers' Notes in English on the website. If you download the Teachers' Notes in either Hindi or Urdu, you will find the shapes for cut out at the end.

• 2 weeks later...
These look like something my boys would love. Thanks for the links! Can someone tell me how the grade levels match up with American levels? Class 1 looks very easy, so I'm guessing it isn't equivalent to grade 1.

I would think it is perhaps a grade below "grade level". My son Is 6 and in First Grade, but doing Second Grade math (Singapore-MEP-Miquon) and we are working through level 3 (and enjoyed level 2) in the Indian math.

Anyway, one can download it and decide for oneself. The series in gentle, includes many stories, asks the children to express themselves, brings in another culture in an enjoyable way, is artfully done, with cultural interesting examples for "patterns" and the like. We have used the books almost as bed-time stories.

Worth a look as a supplement.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

These look like something my boys would love. Thanks for the links! Can someone tell me how the grade levels match up with American levels? Class 1 looks very easy, so I'm guessing it isn't equivalent to grade 1.
In Indian schools here, they run numbers-wise a year ahead. So my 7th grader in the American system would be an 8th grader in the Indian one, going by his age.

Also the Indian national syllabus is online, so you can see what they expect at different stages.

http://www.ncert.nic.in/html/pdf/syllabus/syllabus_vol1/06Math%20%28I-V%29.pdf

is for Mathematics at the Primary Stage (class 1 to 5)

Also in some things, they have different priorities, e.g. they want children to understand the concepts of time (inc sequencing and so forth) before the actual telling of time from a clock, so discussing seasons and days of the week is in class 2 and using a clock doesn't come up until class 3 (to the hour), and to the minute in class 4. Whereas many American programs work on hours then :30, then :15 and :45, but the Japanese syllabus has time to the minute in grade 1.

I've just realized that the Indian curriculum has addition up to 50 in class 1, but much less emphasis on subtraction. Obviously this is a difference too.

Edited by stripe

Thank you! I've downloaded the first few classes and we're going to just start using it as a supplement to our other studies. He is a first grader, so I'm going to start with Class 2 and see how it goes. My son really prefers to use many different sources for math to keep things interesting. He also loves stories and colorful texts, so I know he's going to enjoy this!

• 4 weeks later...