Menu

Shakespeare Fridays?

Beth in SW WA

We are! I'm keeping it simply also. My plans for the year look something like this...

We read several books about Shakespeare's life and the Globe theater and created notebooking pages at the beginning of the year.

Read versions of the plays from Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare or Lamb's Tale's from Shakespeare.

While I'm reading, the kids color in their Shakespeare Coloring book from Bellerophon.

I've tried to get library books on the two plays we've covered so far as well. My son likes to read them and compare the versions.

Then we try to find them to watch or listen to. We've listened to Jim Weiss' Shakespeare for Children (Midsummer Night's Dream & Taming of the Shrew) and I want to get his Romeo and Juliet recording. We've watched Taming of the Shrew with Elizabeth Taylor and I'm still looking for a good Netflix version of Midsummer Night's Dream.

The kids are also going to memorize Sonnet 29 and 116 (the goal is one per semester).

I'm just aiming for an introduction but the kids are loving it!

If all goes well, I'm hoping my 6th grader will read a No Fear Shakespeare play this spring.

We're doing Shakespeare later in the year, but my goal is to get a bunch of kids together for a performance. People in my homeschool group have expressed an interest. It's probably totally nuts to get a bunch of K-3rd graders together to do Shakespeare, but we're going to give it a shot.

That's probably the definition of NOT keeping it simple though!

In addition to some of the above listed things, we do readers theater because I am a huge fan of the benefits of readers theater. I found a book called Simply Shakespeare: Readers Theatre for Young People by Jennifer Kroll and it's wonderful. Not only is the reading aloud great for their reading and vocabulary development, but learning to project and enunciate is also developed. Plus, my dc (esp. dd9) love doing plays.

Be sure to read the corresponding story first so they have a grasp on what they are acting out.

We also love, love, love the Shakespeare books by Bruce Coville. They are beautifully illustrated and, although abridged, have maintained (mostly) the integrity of the language.

In addition to some of the above listed things, we do readers theater because I am a huge fan of the benefits of readers theater. I found a book called Simply Shakespeare: Readers Theatre for Young People by Jennifer Kroll and it's wonderful. Not only is the reading aloud great for their reading and vocabulary development, but learning to project and enunciate is also developed. Plus, my dc (esp. dd9) love doing plays.

Thank you for that!

I posted here asking for this exact resource and no one responded! I had found another that looked promising, but that one looks even better. Thanks :)

• 1 month later...

When my oldest was younger, we would always read the Nesbit version first then we would make puppets (out of wooden spoons, socks, stuffed animals, etc.) and put on the play so she would be more familiar with all of the characters. Then we would read Lamb's version to cement it all in.

I haven't done this with my two youngers, hmmm, maybe we should go back to this. :001_smile:

I would have loved to have been introduced to Shakespeare so young.

I was first introduced to him in 9th grade, sadly. Romeo and Juliet.

In tenth grade while reading Julius Caesar, I would always say "I don't understand any of this silly language" but whenever the teacher asked a question about making connections or character flaws I would be one of the first to answer.

Anyways, just stopped by to say I wish I'd done this that young so I could get used to the language and have admired it more.

I'm actually in the middle of Henry V though :lol: