Menu

CPO science fans---adapting the earth science labs

Luckymama

I've successfuly used household equipment to adapt two of the CPO Earth Science labs----Investigation 2B (Modeling a River) and 3A (Convection in Earth's Atmosphere). So far, so awesome for us geeky science types :D

Here is a picture-heavy (understatement, sorry to those on slow connections) blog post showing our very own stream table made from a paint tray liner.

I have to finish uploading the pictures from yesterday, then I'll write up a blog post about our "GeoBox" made from a really old Rubbermaid clear box and two plastic cups :001_smile:

These are great. We ended up skipping those labs due to lack of innovation on my part. We will, hopefully, do Inv. 4A on Tuesday which is the salt vs fresh water experiment. I bought 2 identical clear Lock&Lock containers to do it. My only problem, which I am not going to worry about too much, is because the volume of water is different the amount of salt added to represent the ocean needs to be recalculated. My algebra is so rusty that I cannot figure it out from the salinity equation in the TM. I will probably have them calculate the new volume and we will adjust the salt to it. I don't have a digital scale to measure it out anyway.

Keep the updates coming. It is inspiring.

• 1 year later...
Luckymama, I know this is an old thread, but THANK YOU for sharing how you adapted CPO Earth Science. I am in the planning stages for next year and I just know this will be very helpful!

If you have any other advice or direction to point me in I would love to hear it!

Ohh, these were good. Looks like Luckymama quit blogging and quit visiting us. Our loss.