Menu

Serious question: *IF* you wanted to count legos and puzzles as academic exercises

MomOfOneFunOne

what would you count them as?

Let's say it's only a moderately complex lego construction for your kid, say an Imperial Star Walker as opposed to a Death Star. And let's say you were wondering what kind of academic credit you might log that as in your learning log. And let's say that your general categories are

Religion -- please don't say that one!

Math

Latin

Logic

History GK/AM

Fine/Domestic Arts

Language Arts

Science

P.E.

but you'd be open to considering some other "misc." category.

Let's further say that you're wondering what a mystery puzzle (one that comes with a short mystery booklet but does not show the picture -- if that matters) would count as. Same categories as above.

Just sayin'. ;)

I like to consider Legos engineering... You could use Legos like tangrams (is that how you spell it?) and then it'd be more logic oriented (figuring out how to replicate a certain shape, but using legos instead of tangram pieces).

I would definitely categorize mystery stuff as logic, assuming that they have to figure out "who dunnit".

Logic, math and science. The other day my son (age ) came to me and he had built a drive shaft out of legos. A functional one! He explained the intricacies of it and everything. I had not idea that he knew about drive shafts. If that doesn't count for some sort of school credit I don't know what does.

Logic, math and science. The other day my son (age ) came to me and he had built a drive shaft out of legos. A functional one! He explained the intricacies of it and everything. I had not idea that he knew about drive shafts. If that doesn't count for some sort of school credit I don't know what does.

Seriously. My 8 year old has decided he wants to be an inventor. He describes the inner workings of the machinery to run the devices he imagines and I just smile and nod. Smile and nod. :lol:

American Girl mystery puzzle spoiler toward the end. Stop now if you don't want to know.

Awwww, I just love you guys! I always thought of Legos as good, wholesome, fun and practically educational but never really counted it as school. Yesterday, pretty much all we did all day was Latin class, Latin hmwk, math class, and play with the legos and puzzles. I really wanted to count it as something educational!

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the puzzle was of an historical character (Kaya from American Girl) but the mystery was kind of a putz. Instead of having the clues revealed in the picture and my girl using the clues to figure it out, the actual answer was revealed. Meh . . .:glare:

I had done a mystery puzzle before in which the puzzler reads the accompanying booklet, puts together the puzzle, analyzes the clues, decides who dunnit. I thought that would be what we were getting but it wasn't. Instead, a paw print and the word "wolf" just give it away. No trying to figure out the clues.

I wouldn't count it for an 11yo. Not unless I just needed to count *hours* and she had completed all of her other work. Then I'd make up some elective course name. Or if she had severe fine motor delays and then I would consider Legos therapy.

But unless she's really problem solving or creating on her own (for instance, creating solutions to tasks using Lego NXT), I wouldn't count Lego play as "school" for a child past about 7-8 years old. Especially not simply following the directions to assemble a project.

I'd consider it a worthwhile use of time, certainly! But school? No.