Menu

s/o on PSAT frustration thread

WHY is it that the PSAT is SO much more difficult for homeschoolers to take? Why is the registration done through the school instead of through the College Board? I don't get it. :glare:

We are not at this point yet, but reading posts like the OP's sends my heart to fluttering!

Edited by Hoggirl

WHY is it that the PSAT is SO much more difficult for homeschoolers to take? Why is the registration done through the school instead of through the College Board? I don't get it. :glare:

Sadly, registering for AP exams is a similar experience in that one needs to locate a school giving (or willing to give) the exam one needs. And it's even more challenging as far fewer schools offer AP exams than the PSAT.

Regards,

Kareni

I will be registering my daughter this coming Monday at a local high school, and, at this point, I'm not anticipating any problems.

I spoke with the Guidance office a few weeks ago, they gave me the date to sign up, and informed me there would be no fee since my daughter is a 10th grader.

Hoping for smooth sailing :001_smile:

Sadly, registering for AP exams is a similar experience in that one needs to locate a school giving (or willing to give) the exam one needs. And it's even more challenging as far fewer schools offer AP exams than the PSAT.

Regards,

Kareni

:iagree: We're having a really tough time going the AP route around here because so few schools within reasonable driving distance offer them. I've only found Calc at a nearby private school. My last hope is convincing the school I work for to order and give some others specifically to/for my son. Otherwise, hubby and I were talking last night and pretty much figuring we're going to have to go the cc route at $600 - $800 per class. AP would have been much more friendly to our budget. Our only other option are SAT II tests, but those only test high school level knowledge.

Signing up for the PSAT was simple - not AS simple as the ACT or SAT, but definitely not difficult around here. I feel for those with less friendly ps's.

and informed me there would be no fee since my daughter is a 10th grader.

WOW! I wonder why they are offering it free to sophomores??? That certainly isn't normal! I wonder if the school is eating the test cost fee in order to encourage more of their sophomores to take it (musing)? If so, that's a really nice district!

It costs our school $13 per student that takes the test (any grade) and they charge students $15. The difference is to cover the extra staffing costs they need for that morning.

WOW! I wonder why they are offering it free to sophomores??? That certainly isn't normal! I wonder if the school is eating the test cost fee in order to encourage more of their sophomores to take it (musing)? If so, that's a really nice district!

It costs our school $13 per student that takes the test (any grade) and they charge students $15. The difference is to cover the extra staffing costs they need for that morning.

Our school district pays for all 10th graders to take the PSAT, too.

It's probably because the PSAT is mandatory for all 10th graders in our district (excluding homeschoolers, of course).

My last hope is convincing the school I work for to order and give some others specifically to/for my son. Otherwise, hubby and I were talking last night and pretty much figuring we're going to have to go the cc route at $600 - $800 per class. AP would have been much more friendly to our budget.

You might try offering to pay the proctoring fee (which would be much less than a cc class ...). Our local HS was hesitant at first to give my kids an AP exam they weren't otherwise offering, until I said I'd pay. They said they have to pay an extra person the substitute teacher rate. Even without the local budget crunch at schools, it didn't seem unreasonable. There's something at the College Board AP website about paying extra:

Once you locate a school willing to administer the exams, that school's AP Coordinator is responsible for ordering your exam materials, telling you when and where to appear for the exams, and collecting your fees (note: the school may elect to charge a higher exam fee in order to offset additional proctoring or administration costs). That school must administer the exams for you; it cannot forward them to you or your school for handling.

(http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/ap/reg.html)

Anyway, the local HS's attitude became much more friendly when I offered to pay for the proctor. They basically said they could order any test for us! I'm not planning to do much CC, even though it's free for high-schoolers, b/c of the poor quality, overcrowding, and time required to haul oneself out there several times a week (there's a bus, but still ...). APs are cheaper, more standardized, and so much less time-consuming ... and flexible -- my kids don't even *have* to take the AP exam if they don't feel ready. BUT there's the hassle factor of dealing with the local schools ...

~Laura

You might try offering to pay the proctoring fee (which would be much less than a cc class ...). Our local HS was hesitant at first to give my kids an AP exam they weren't otherwise offering, until I said I'd pay. They said they have to pay an extra person the substitute teacher rate. Even without the local budget crunch at schools, it didn't seem unreasonable. There's something at the College Board AP website about paying extra:

Once you locate a school willing to administer the exams, that school's AP Coordinator is responsible for ordering your exam materials, telling you when and where to appear for the exams, and collecting your fees (note: the school may elect to charge a higher exam fee in order to offset additional proctoring or administration costs). That school must administer the exams for you; it cannot forward them to you or your school for handling.

(http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/ap/reg.html)

Anyway, the local HS's attitude became much more friendly when I offered to pay for the proctor. They basically said they could order any test for us! I'm not planning to do much CC, even though it's free for high-schoolers, b/c of the poor quality, overcrowding, and time required to haul oneself out there several times a week (there's a bus, but still ...). APs are cheaper, more standardized, and so much less time-consuming ... and flexible -- my kids don't even *have* to take the AP exam if they don't feel ready. BUT there's the hassle factor of dealing with the local schools ...

~Laura

Thanks for that thought! It might, indeed, make the school more willing. The worst they can do is still say, no, but it's definitely worth a shot. My plan had been to use AP for the courses they have tests for (Bio, Chem, Calc, and maybe Stats) and our cc (which sounds better than yours) for a couple classes they don't - like the Microbio and Public Speaking classes my son is taking now. Subs get paid $95/day here, so yes, even adding that fee to the testing fee is still cheaper than $600 - $800 per class.

I'm dreading dealing with my local high school.

I think I am going to check out the local private schools first. I have a feeling they will be much more home school friendly.

Plus I am in a state where I not have to report anything to the school district about being a homeschooler. I don't want to suddenly show up on their radar.