Menu

Is Teaching Textbooks Geometry better than Algebra? Any other suggestions?

We have FINALLY finished Jacob's Algebra with my math reluctant daughter. She did "okay." We were going to start Jacob's Geometry 2nd edit., but after looking through it, my husband and I are wondering if it is really "doable" for her (my older daughter who is gifted in math, did fine).

In looking at alternatives, I originally did not consider Teaching Textbooks after all the negative reviews. But more recently I have heard that their Geometry program is actually pretty good--much better than Algebra I and II. From those of you who have used it, what do you think? My husband (an engineer) is the primary math teacher, but he travels a lot. TT might be great for when he's out of town, but if it isn't rigorous enough then we don't want to waste our money.

Do you have any other suggestions? I've heard MUS is not rigorous enough, but I'd like your opinions. What about Life of Fred Geometry? After we do Geometry, we plan on using Lial's Intermediate Algebra--we've had good luck with BCM in the past. Thank you all SO much! Sorry to add YET ANOTHER TT post. :) Looking forward to hearing what you have to say!

TT's Geometry does have a LOT of proofs (if you like such things!)... it is a bit lite on problem solving when they teach the formulas... TT's program is based on the SAT/ACT tests--so it covers the material to the level of those tests--nothing past that.

While I'm a Math teacher--Geometry is not my personal favorite--but in the past few years I've actually started to like TEACHING it... My choice of Geometry programs are 'algebra' based... teaching proofs--but not spending half of the year on them... I like to use Geometry to reinforce Algebra 1 skills.

Lial's Intermediate Algebra is good about 'refreshing' concepts before diving into the deeper levels--so I would not worry about 'forgetting' Algebra 1...

I chose the Holt 2007 edition to use with my online classes this year.

Dr Burger of Thinkwell is the author--he also made free online videos to go with each example in the text... it does not completely replace a teacher--but it is a great supplement.

Geometry is about logical thinking and logical processes... you can't teach logic--but you can foster it-- in my opinion Geometry needs to be taught or tutored by a 'real' person who can answer the student's unique questions... if done independently, the student is forced to try to understand the logical reasoning of a person (author/video teacher) who may think completely different from them (and learning style plays a lot into logic)... When it comes to those pesky proofs, the text will only show ONE of the MANY possible ways to work them.... this frustrates students AND their parents who are trying to help!

I would only recommend the Holt program IF the teacher supplements were also purchased... the 'One Stop Planner' is the teacher resource cd set that contains the TE, SOLUTIONS, excellent worksheets, quizzes, tests, teaching helps... the HARDEST part of this program is planning--there are a LOT of options given to the teacher--and the text may not be the best choice for each lesson... I LOVE this because I can tailor the course to the needs of my students--and not try to fit them into a tidy box. This text makes a great Honors text--and it the program can also be easily stripped down to bare basics if needed.

Just wanted to add that my son found TT geometry to be very hard b/c of the proofs. They stick with pretty low level proofs for a while, but he found it very, very confusing--I think his Asperger's played into his lack of logic skills. It would have helped tremendously for him to have a mom or teacher that knew how to help him, too.

There are no constructions, either. Some folks find these to be old-fashioned, but I like them, or would have liked them, for my son. He probably needed lots of avenues to foster his familiarity and make all those theorums and such stick.

We supplemented with some Key to... and a Geometry Made Easy book, but really wasted so much time with TT. Not that it's a bad program, just that it's a bad program for my son.

My oldest used Jacobs Geometry, 2nd edition. I didn't think that one would work well for my Aspie dd, so I got Jacobs Geometry, 3rd edition for her. She needed a lot of hand-holding for the first third of the book, then she started to get it. By the second half of the book, she was able to do it independently.

Kinetic Books is coming out with a geometry program next month. I expect it to be just as good as their other math programs (have used their Algebra I and Algebra II).

If my youngest could deal with a computer-based math program, I'd have her working in Kinetic Books prealgebra this year. I'm trying out MUS Prealgebra for her because it has the black print on white paper with no color, uncluttered layout, and plenty of whitespace that she needs. It just arrived yesterday, so we haven't actually started it yet.

Life of Fred Geometry isn't necessarily easy. It is good at simplifying some of the explanations, but not in a dumbed down way, and excellent at relating Geometry to real life. There are 2 column proofs and some of the learning is done in the problems. However, there aren't as many practise problems as there are in many books. What I didn't like about it is that you don't have to name which Algebra postulate is the one that supports a step in your proof. OTOH, if a dc is not strong in math and not interested in going into a math based area, that might be okay for you. DD used another Geometry text where she had to name the Algebraic postulates in her proofs. That one was the 1973 Dressler.

I'm not a math teacher, but my dd who likes math loves LOF. I make her do two since LOF is still so new.

DS now 14, 9th grade

started pre-algebra TT last year and completed by Jan! We were rejoicing. Woo HOO!!

TT-Algebra 1, zoom zoom zoom for 1/2 of the book, then BAM! He slowed down to a normal pace. It was hard, but he worked it through. Sometimes, him and I and the CD, listening over and over til one of us finally found where he had missed. Aha moments!! He struggled through, but finished. We did school over the summer and he finally finished TT-Algebra in July.

This year, TT Geometry. Going well, up to chapter 18, but I have him on a slower pace, more emphasis on remembering the vocabulary at first. We also use a computer on line Math ALEKs, for geometry, and he says that is a big help, it isn't right on with TT, but it is going over in a different way, the concepts and he can feel the difference?