Menu

WWE1 for 6y/o?

OregonNative

Guest TheBugsMom

My opinion is yes. I personally think they should be able to read the sentence they are going to copy. If he cannot read well he might have trouble with the sentences he copies.

Hoping someone else with more experience will answer your question.

I am using WWE1 with my 6 year old dd this year. She can read CVC words, but still struggles with writing lower case letters. I decided I just wanted her to be exposed to it. Sometimes I will write out her copy work and then let her trace my sentence before trying it on her own.

I would wait until he is able to write all of his letters fairly legibly, including lower case letters. I am using WWE 1 with my 1st grader (6 1/2), but she has very neat handwriting (sometimes better than her 4th grade brother! LOL!) and has no trouble doing any of the copywork or dictation in WWE1. Could you maybe spend the first semester of this school year working on letters and phonics and then start WWE1 for the second semester?

I don't think he needs a spelling book. My younger son finished all 8 books of Explode the Code and now I'm giving him spelling related to history or science.

If you think he needs more work, you could look up the Drost (?) sight word lists. There are some lovely printable flash cards at the Jan Brett website with those word lists. They start with the very high frequency words (a, an, the, etc) and go out from there.

If you want to do the reading comprehension aspect of WWE, you could just make up a couple of questions related to whatever picture book you're in the mood to read.

My opinion is yes. I personally think they should be able to read the sentence they are going to copy. If he cannot read well he might have trouble with the sentences he copies.

I agree with those that said her DC should be able to write a bit more legibly, but isn't the point of copywork is so that they get familiar with new words. My DS6 is using WWE1 this year and doing wonderful with it. He is able to answer all the questions and tell me what the one thing is that he remembers from the story.

With WWE1, they are not even required to know how to spell their name yet or the date as it is instructed for the parent to do so as the child watches. This also helps a child that can't form all his letters correctly yet.

My ds6 is about 1/2 way through OPG reading and we have started on WWE1. We also have spelling (MCP Spelling Workout A) but are waiting to start until he is reading better. ALSO, doing Zaner-Bloser handwriting. I only have him copy the shorter sentences in WWE at this point and he is doing well with it. He has always had neat writing though, even though he is not reading well yet. You could always start it and slow down or stop if it is too frustrating or not working out. Doesn't hurt to put it off a bit anyway. My d10 is working on WWE4 (a year behind "grade level").