Menu

What size Le Creuset dutch oven should I get?

I don't have an answer for you about the size.

But, I wanted one of these for YEARS (at least 5). I fantasized about them - the colors, the sizes, shapes. :) I imagined how my life would be changed.

Then I got one a year and 1/2 ago (an oval, 6 or 7 qts, I think). I've used it exactly once. :001_huh: And I scratch-cook a lot.

Right now I have room in my kitchen cabinets for it, so there it sits. But if we ever move...it's gone.

Just something to think about.

A 3.5 quart French oven will hold a meal for a family of 4.

If you fix more than that at one time, I'd get a 6+ quart or bigger. Mind you, IMO the bigger the better because I cannot increase the size of a pot that is too small.

I've had the oval and round ones, and it didn't make a difference to me, but I didn't use the cookware to store food in.

I had a complete set of their cookware and I loved everything about it, except for using it. I gave to Salvation Army when we moved.

Edited by RoughCollie

Guest mrsjamiesouth

I have a complete set and I love it! I would go with the biggest size as it is almost winter and you can make soups and stews. I prefer round to oval. I think 9Qt. would be a good 1st piece.

My mom doesn't like that they are so heavy. Also, they heat up faster and all over, so it is easier to burn things at first.

I love my 5 qt dutch oven. It is perfect for our family of 4. We do have leftovers, but my kids a 7 and 3.5, so I would probably count them as one mouth :) I also have a 2.5 and I think 7. I almost never use those. You have to ask yourself what you'll be using it for and what other pots you already have and then decide which size you need. And keep in mind that the bigger the size, the heavier they are. I am not sure I would be able to handle an empty 13 qt, let alone a full one.

Why did you not like it?

I didn't find it easy to use.

It was too heavy and I either needed 2 hands to lift most of the pieces or I had to remove the lid and put it somewhere so I could pick up a pot with one hand. That was fine until I had the boys because after that, I rarely had more than one hand empty at a time.

I had to keep a closer eye on the food I was cooking than I did with other cookware, so it wouldn't start to burn. This was much more of a hassle because I had an electric stove.

I didn't like wrestling with the heavy pots when I had to clean them.

The set took up way too much storage space.

I had a complete set of their cookware and I loved everything about it, except for using it. I gave to Salvation Army when we moved.

:svengo:

I have two pieces and they are almost all I ever use anymore: the 5 qt round french oven (in cherry - her name is Cerise) and an 11 1/2 inch cherry with black enameled interior frying pan.

:svengo:

I don't like using this cookware. I know I'm in the minority, because the company is still in business. It is a shame I didn't buy one pot, so I would have discovered this before DH bought one of each type Bloomingdales had.

I love looking at it. I adore some of their specialty pieces. I salivate over it. I love the colors, the materials it is made from, the quality, everything about it except for using it.

Right now, I like using hard-anodized aluminum cookware, which I bought to replace my nonstick cookware after Calphalon Commercial nonstick pans' coating flaked. It is lightweight, easy to clean, and can hang on a hook from my pot rack. But, my favorite set of cookware is now 34 years old and still going strong -- it is stainless steel. I destroyed the dutch oven when I let it boil dry when I used to it sterilize the boys' bottles, but it will cost $500 to replace so that's not feasible.

Edited by RoughCollie

I have a complete set and I love it! I would go with the biggest size as it is almost winter and you can make soups and stews. I prefer round to oval. I think 9Qt. would be a good 1st piece.

My mom doesn't like that they are so heavy. Also, they heat up faster and all over, so it is easier to burn things at first.

:iagree:

I have the 7"ish" and 9"ish" quart sizes. The smaller is fine for our family of four, but I use the larger one more often because when I'm making soups/stews/roasts/etc., it's nice to make more and have leftovers. I use mine often; less in the summer though. I especially love how easy they are to clean!