Menu

knowledgeable about orthodontics?? Advice needed

Guest luv2learn

Guest luv2learn

Hi all!

I could really use some advice. I have three children, one who already has braces (age 16) and one that needs them (according to the orthodontist).

She has a tooth that has not erupted and it has been over six months. The ortho showed me xrays and the tooth is growing crooked. He showed me pictures of how her gums will thin over time (if the tooth problem is not corrected) and there is nothing he can do once gum thinning occurs. The pictures were horrible and of course I would never want her mouth to look like that!

The problem is we are still paying on my son's braces and will pay off the full balance in February. We can't afford more braces without borrowing money that we really do not have (we try to be responsible with our money).

My question is, does anyone have any experience with this? Can we wait until Feb. or is he just rushing us to get our money?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

My daughter had two teeth that were coming in crooked (per the x ray).

I put braces on her as planned and the orthodontist put in spacers next to where the crooked teeth were coming in to give them plenty of space.

It took months and months for the crooked teeth to come in.

I don't think it is going to be drastic if you wait several months. What does your dentist say?

GET A SECOND OPINION. Sorry for the shout. We just recently had a very similar situation. 2 different orthos gave us 2 totally different treatment plans.

:iagree:

We didn't have the exact situation you're in regarding the erupting tooth, but WOW! Three orthodontists gave us 3 totally different stories. Well, one didn't give us much of a story unless we paid about $150 for a fancy consultation with impressions. But the other 2 were totally different in their treatment plans and probable outcomes.

:iagree:

We didn't have the exact situation you're in regarding the erupting tooth, but WOW! Three orthodontists gave us 3 totally different stories. Well, one didn't give us much of a story unless we paid about $150 for a fancy consultation with impressions. But the other 2 were totally different in their treatment plans and probable outcomes.

Gail--are you currently looking for an orthodontist? I think you're in my general area, and there is an AWESOME ortho in St. Peters that I can give you the name of if you want.

Gail--are you currently looking for an orthodontist? I think you're in my general area, and there is an AWESOME ortho in St. Peters that I can give you the name of if you want.

We ended up going with one of the 3, and she's already been all the way through the braces -- only had to have them on for 16 months because of the SureSmile computer imaging.

But thanks so much for mentioning it. I"m fighting the urge to totally highjack the thread with questions about other recommendations you'd have for other stuff in the area....:tongue_smilie:

Same thing for 3 of mine. One had braces. One I knew would have too much trouble dealing with them, lo and behold, her tooth came in and straighted itself over time. One we are waiting...his teeth are straightening on their own too. They may not be perfect, but they are not bad.

Guest luv2learn

Thank you everyone who responded. I really appreciate it! My dentist thinks I should go along with the ortho recommendation, but I just found out that the two of them are good friends. I don't feel as panicked now after reading your responses :-). I will get a second or third opinion. Again, thank you :grouphug:

We ended up going with one of the 3, and she's already been all the way through the braces -- only had to have them on for 16 months because of the SureSmile computer imaging.

But thanks so much for mentioning it. I"m fighting the urge to totally highjack the thread with questions about other recommendations you'd have for other stuff in the area....:tongue_smilie:

This is the last time I'll butt in! Gail...glad to hear the braces are finished. Feel free to PM any questions! I'd be glad to help if I can!