Menu

Dollhouses

We don't have a Target here so I am not sure what theirs looks like. However, if you have a Tuesday Morning near you I would start checking there. We found Princess BB one there last year for a fraction of the cost anywhere else. The trick though is going to the store regularly and frequently and be ready to buy the day you are there because their selection changes constantly. I saw one I liked, but it was the only one. The next day it was gone and they didn't get another like it - I guess you could say I learned the hard way. We were even able to buy furninshing for as low as $3 a room (solid wood).

Costco has an amazing wooden dollhouse with furniture on sale for $79 until supplies last. Dollhouse has been our most-used toy over the past 20 years, even though we've only had 3 gross plastic ones ;) They've collected 3 large bins full of Fisher Price furniture and dolls over the years and my 11yo, 7yo and 2 yo still play with it daily.

Barb

My dad made my dd a dollhouse after he and I researched it to death! I spent time watching dd play with dollhouses and my dad would send me ideas via email. We ended up with a very simple design - it's a three story house. The roof opens up and reveals the first floor. Then, the front opens up to reveal the bottom two floors. Each floor is divided into three rooms and it's very wide open so she can reach way to the back.

My dad left it very plain so that dd and I can design it ourselves. We bought the furniture, but I cannot wait until dd is old enough to add flooring and curtains and all!

My dad made a doll's house for my dds as well, based on the design of my MIL's house. He did it all to scale such that we could buy regular doll's house furniture etc. to fit in it. It's a beautiful toy and one that they regularly play with - I'm really grateful to him for making it and have made sure he knows it!

Brag alert! I have made a dollhouse! I am currently making another one just for the fun of it. I loved playing with mine as a kid and always wanted to make one. I had a blast. The one I am making now, was purchased as a kit from Hobby Lobby with a coupon for about $40. I think with all the extras (not furniture) it will end up being around $60. It is wooden and can be decorated however we want it to be done. It is not for Barbie dolls. I splurged years ago and got my dds the Princess Barbie Castle; I can admit I always wanted one as a child and I had been tutoring a lot that year and had extra cash. That has been played with a ton!!!

The one at Target will only go on sale right after Christmas. That is when they usually change a few things like the color for the new year. It will go 20% off and by then usually all the dollhouses are gone as well as the furniture. If there is anything left by the time it goes past 20%, you are very lucky!