Menu

Need suggestions for science.

I have an 8th grader. We have not chosen a science curric. for her yet. I would like to choose something that we can use and then continue down the line with h.s. courses. I think I would like to steer away from Apologia. What are the other options for someone who enjoys science and will need to be strong in science for college path? A secular curric. is fine.

Thank you.

The BJU science texts are excellent - detailed, real science with great support materials. I find them to be much more interesting than the Apologia texts, although they are still from a Christian perspective. The 8th grade book covers earth and space, 9th is physical science (intro to chem and physics), 10th is biology, 11th is chemistry, and 12th is physics.

I've used Prentice Hall Science Explorer for middle school science. At the high school level, I like to use Oak Meadow science. I don't use their program for physics because they use Saxon Physics and that won't work here.

I think Oak Meadow science at the middle school level would probably be great, but I already own PHSE, so I don't intend to buy it at this time.

The BJU science texts are excellent - detailed, real science with great support materials. I find them to be much more interesting than the Apologia texts, although they are still from a Christian perspective. The 8th grade book covers earth and space, 9th is physical science (intro to chem and physics), 10th is biology, 11th is chemistry, and 12th is physics.

Dd is doing BJU middle school Life science online. I like that she's having the experience of listening to a well-educated teacher in the subject. She's having to learn to take notes, too. The teacher does the labs during the lesson, so we've been able to choose which labs we can get the stuff to actually do. She seems the most curious about science topics than I have ever seen her.

We are definitely going to continue it through high school. Online is $100 cheaper than the DVD's because the teacher books are online in the parent's account.