Menu

I'm out of ideas--I need a restaurant-worthy fruity dessert.

Hello, my name is Julie, and I'm a cookbookaholic....:001_huh:

Seriously, I've used my job as an excuse to give free reign to my addiction. I love and buy dessert cookbooks, sort of like some women lust after shoes, kwim? I do get rid of the books that I don't find helpful or inspiring, but my family budget would be better off if I would get a grip!:glare:

I didn't know it was a problem. (Bwahaha!)

Seriously though, that cookbook is where I go when I want a great recipe. Some are outdated: sheesh, it is 50 years old! But so many others are fantastic, and some are ones that were my mom's favorites, so I grew up with them. It has many other recipes, too, not just desserts.

I'm not helping, am I? Could you ask for it for Christmas? Someone can probably find a less expensive, vintage copy for you between now and then.

I use 3 oz. of Philadelphia brand cream cheese. If you happen to know of a better brand, it can only improve the pie. And I'd love to know what brand. :D

Well, I only have my choice of two brands, Philly, and the cheaper generic that the restaurant supply carries. Philly is so very much better than the cheaper alternative! I know there's probably better, but I use quite a lot of it so I haven't even allowed myself to try pricier options from other sources.

I make a banana bread, level, and top with brownsugar/rum/nut/coconut topping.

It is really yummy and the topping definitely dresses it to look more like a cake. What about switching it around to be a fresh apple cake with caramel/pecan/rum topping.

Okay, y'all....for now I decided to go with:

Warm Pear Cake with Walnut Caramel topping (sold well last year, super-easy to make)

Cinnamon Apple Sundae (homemade apple filling warmed, then served over french vanilla ice cream, topped with caramel drizzle, whipped cream, cinnamon toast crunchies, and a cherry)

I'll be trying some of the other suggestions for after these have their run. Thank you all so much!