Menu

I'm out of ideas--I need a restaurant-worthy fruity dessert.

What's your favorite restaurant-type dessert that uses fruit in any way?

I'm just out of inspiration right now. Nothing sounds good.

Right now I'm making:

creme brulee

flourless chocolate cake covered with chocolate ganache

peanut butter chocolate torte

key lime parfait/carrot cake parfait

creamy lemon blueberry cheesecake with blueberry reduction

It's time to drop the cheesecake, 'cause I'm sick of it, and probably the carrot cake thing. I'm tired of making them, and very much in a rut.

So....fruit dessert you might find in a nicer restaurant. Any ideas? :confused:

Right now it's apple season here, so I would say something with apples. Apple crumble is one of my favourites! Definitely a great part of the fall season!

Thanks for making me drool, by the way... that list sounds absolutely divine!!

{sigh} I know...I make a Caramel Apple Cheesecake that has done well in past years, but it's a heap of work to make, and I'm not feeling completely up for it. I'll think about what other apple desserts I could make. I'm sure I could make something that would be as good, but less demanding. Thank you. :001_smile:

{sigh} I know...I make a Caramel Apple Cheesecake that has done well in past years, but it's a heap of work to make, and I'm not feeling completely up for it. I'll think about what other apple desserts I could make. I'm sure I could make something that would be as good, but less demanding. Thank you. :001_smile:

"Schnitz Pie"! Very easy and good and is another name for Mennonite Apple Pie.

What about Strawberries Romanoff? or Zabaglione over fresh mixed berries? This is one of my all time favorite desserts.

Diane

Mmm...one of my favorites too, but the supplier doesn't come every day, and I've had a hard time keeping fresh berries looking good. Now I want raspberry sabayon parfait! :drool5:

This pie is superb.

Apple Cream Pie

9†crust

4 cups apples, thinly sliced (I use Gala)

Filling

1 cup half and half

1 ¼ cup sugar

1/3 cup flour

1 teaspoon vanilla

Topping

½ cup flour

1/3 cup sugar

½ stick butter or margarine

Spread apples over crust. Combine filling ingredients in a bowl and pour over apples. Mix flour and sugar together in a small bowl, then work in butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle topping over pie.

Wrap a thin strip of aluminum foil like a loose tent around the edge of the crust to prevent burning. Bake 450 degrees for 15 minutes. Turn oven down to 350 degrees and bake until middle is bubbly and apples are tender (time depends on apples and how thin they are sliced—maybe an hour?)

I take a cookie crust (better if you make it, but okay to just use a pre-made graham cracker one) and fill it with homemade pastry cream (it's mostly egg, sugar, milk and vanilla all cooked over the stove then cooled) then top it with fresh berries. We're still getting raspberries here, though not for much longer, I suppose. If you want to get fancy, you could drizzle some dark chocolate syrup on it in an artful way. It's simple, easy and delicious.

We get these KILLER fruit custard cakes at Vietnamese bakeries around here. I love them. I'm a chocolate lovin fool, but I have to admit, this is my favorite dessert. They seem a little different than the ones I see at other bakeries, I think it's the bottom layer..? They always have a little whipped creme on them. :tongue_smilie:

My daughter has been making German apple cake, and it's yummy. It also looks pretty when you arrange the apple slices nicely.

Pineapple or apricot upside down cake maybe?

This website has the most amazing stuff!!! I saw this yesterday and am dying to try it this weekend!!

http://smittenkitchen.com/page/4/ ugly but really sounds good!!!

or this with peaches

http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/09/peach-shortbread/

She has sooooo much stuff it's my new go to place for great food

This website is great french food go august 27 lemon tart looks great!!

http://www.suzannedecornelia.com/

HTH

Lara

Right now it's apple season here, so I would say something with apples. Apple crumble is one of my favourites! Definitely a great part of the fall season!

Thanks for making me drool, by the way... that list sounds absolutely divine!!

That would be my vote. Somethings with sliced apples...obviously cinnamon and/or the usual spice suspects... caramel? Candied pecans.

Plantain wrapped in a egg roll wrapper and then fried. Drizzle honey on top. (I don't know if that would work for you though because you have to fry it when ordered.

Honestly? I've never done plantains. :001_huh:

I did do something similar once, but with bananas, chocolate, coconut, and bits of almond. It was yummmmmy! I don't think I can do it again though, because that makes a huge mess if one should burst open in the fryer. Don't ask how I know....:ohmy::leaving:

Hmm...last year I made Warm Pear Cake with walnut caramel sauce, served with french vanilla ice cream. It was yummy, and sold surprisingly well. That's a good idea. Thanks!

Along those lines I was thinking about a pretty little pastry "purse" filled with apples or pears (or really any fruit combo) and served with a warm cream or caramel sauce. I love fruit combos like pears and strawberries, or peach blueberry.

This time of year I'm a sucker for Dutch Apple Pie with Vanilla Ice Cream. I'd even chose it over chocolate!:ohmy::drool:

I'm a sucker for crepes. There's this amazing dessert cafe in Toronto that has all sorts of crepes. They fill them with some sort of cream, fruit of your choice, and coordinating sauces. Banana with caramel is my fave. Served with ice cream, of course.

Oh, and deep fried ice cream is yummy too! I've had it resting on a bed of brandied strawberries. *sigh*

strawberry napoleans

lemon tarts

raspberry or lemon mousse

fruit tarts w/ pastry cream and apricot glaze

I also make something we call "cake salad." It's cubed pieces of cake (usually a white cake), lemon curd or pastry cream, and sliced strawberries.

Now I'm getting hungry, and making dessert #7 for the Jewish holiday season!! :)

{sniffle, sob} I don't get to make anything else that's chocolate, because people complain so strenuously when we don't have the flourless chocolate cake and the peanut butter chocolate torte, and the menu cannot bear 3 chocolate desserts. :crying:

But chocolate must be a fruit! It comes from the cocoa. At the very least it's a vegetable. :D

It IS a fruit!!!! Cocoa tree

Edited by CalicoKat
added a link

I don't have a recipe but we used to go to a restaurant that had the most amazing bread pudding. I don't know if it was cooked with the fruit or the fruit was added later but they had choices of peach or apple and then was drizzled with caramel sauce(okay it was heavier than a drizzle more like the amount of hot fudge on ice cream but I don't know a word to describe that amount). It was ooey gooey goodness and I don't even like bread pudding but I ordered that everytime.

ETA but if you make this please don't spoil it by adding raisins or nuts, they just ruin everything :-)

Edited by cjzimmer1
additional info

I don't have a recipe but we used to go to a restaurant that had the most amazing bread pudding. I don't know if it was cooked with the fruit or the fruit was added later but they had choices of peach or apple and then was drizzled with caramel sauce(okay it was heavier than a drizzle more like the amount of hot fudge on ice cream but I don't know a word to describe that amount). It was ooey gooey goodness and I don't even like bread pudding but I ordered that everytime.

ETA but if you make this please don't spoil it by adding raisins or nuts, they just ruin everything :-)

Mmm...I was gonna say that I have a great bread pudding recipe. I serve it drizzled with caramel and dolloped with creme anglaise. Sorry to say, it does have golden raisins in it, though by the time it's done most people seem to mistake them for apple bits. :confused:

Mmm...I was gonna say that I have a great bread pudding recipe. I serve it drizzled with caramel and dolloped with creme anglaise. Sorry to say, it does have golden raisins in it, though by the time it's done most people seem to mistake them for apple bits. :confused:

Golden raisins might be better, never had them in anything. But my mom always pile the regular kind in both her bread pudding and stuffing and now none of her children can stand raisins in anything. And my grandmother puts nuts and in on top of everything. Nothing worse than a good fruit salad ruined by gobs of crunchy nuts. Come to think of it, I think I might just have issues with those items. Normal people might be just fine with them. :001_smile:

Apple cobbler is easier than pie or cheesecake. But not so fancy.

I love fruit shortcakes and tarts. I have made ones using a slice of poundcake or individual sponge cakes topped with berries and mandarin oranges, whipped cream, and drizzled with an orange glaze. You could fancy that up a bit an it would be easy yet yummy.

Julie, this isn't on your topic at all, but I wanted to recommend to you the old Pillsbury Bakeoff Cookbook, if you can locate one. It is chock full of awesome recipes that include *real* ingreds, not all convenience ingreds. like the current Pillsbury pamphlet-style books.

Pillsbury's Best 1000 Recipes: Best of the Bake-Off Collection c1959 pub by Grosset & Dunlap, NY

They show up occasionally on Ebay and might be available on other sites. (I haven't looked in awhile.)

ETA: They've reissued it as a facsimile edition! I'm so excited...going to get several copies for people that I know would love it. (Yes, they are cooks; I'm not.)

Edited by Valerie(TX)

I used to have a recipe that had poached pears and a crispy almond crumble type topping. Delicious. Or little individual tarts.

How about a raspberry mouse?

Or what do you call those wonderful meringue's with fruit? Pavlova? That seems like it would be easy to prepare because you make the meringue and then assemble with fruit and cream right before serving.

Julie, this isn't on your topic at all, but I wanted to recommend to you the old Pillsbury Bakeoff Cookbook, if you can locate one. It is chock full of awesome recipes that include *real* ingreds, not all convenience ingreds. like the current Pillsbury pamphlet-style books.

Pillsbury's Best 1000 Recipes: Best of the Bake-Off Collection c1959 pub by Grosset & Dunlap, NY

They show up occasionally on Ebay and might be available on other sites. (I haven't looked in awhile.)

ETA: They've reissued it as a facsimile edition! I'm so excited...going to get several copies for people that I know would love it. (Yes, they are cooks; I'm not.)

Hello, my name is Julie, and I'm a cookbookaholic....:001_huh:

Seriously, I've used my job as an excuse to give free reign to my addiction. I love and buy dessert cookbooks, sort of like some women lust after shoes, kwim? I do get rid of the books that I don't find helpful or inspiring, but my family budget would be better off if I would get a grip!:glare:

It's not fruity. Well, it's fruitless. But I make a White Chocolate Cream Pie which can be frozen. Most people love it. (I don't, just because I don't care for that much dairy and I feel like I'm overdosing on dairy when I eat it. :tongue_smilie:)

I just made one for our neighbor's son who is visiting from Washington. He says he wants to take a piece back to let some chef taste it. Apparently the chef's signature dessert is a coconut cream pie, and neighbor's son says there was no comparison.

I think I put the recipe up here once, but I can pm you with ways I tweak it to make it better. It's also easy to make.

Kathy

Oohh, I'd *love* to have the recipe & the tweaks! It would be fruitful if I served it with raspberry sauce, and I bet it'd be pretty too!

Along those lines I was thinking about a pretty little pastry "purse" filled with apples or pears (or really any fruit combo) and served with a warm cream or caramel sauce.

:iagree:

I don't know how you could adapt this, but my grandmother made a very yummy cinnamon roll-type dessert with grated apples rolled up in it. They were served warm with cream poured over the top. One of my favorite fall desserts!!!