Menu

What would you drop?

ilovemy4kids

Our days are just going a bit too long.... here's what we are doing any suggestions on what to drop?

Saxon 8/7

Rod and Staff English 6

Apologia General Science

Write at home comp 7 (paid for can't drop)

Editor in Chief

Infromation Resources

French (2nd favorite)

Wordly Wise 7

Spelling 6 (she HAS to do this!)

Artistic Pursuits Jr. High book 1 (her favorite)

With a group... meets 2 times per month... has homework

History (SOTW 4 with other resources)

Lit discussion group (has homework)

Art ( very lightweight - very little homework)

outside activites:

Bright Lights (twice monthly)

Fencing and Character course (2 times per week starts in October goes through November)

any thoughts?

I considered dropping the Rod and Staff and just using something like Easy Grammar since she has a writeathome.com course, but wasn't sure. She really likes diagramming.

I wish I could help, but I really don't know what a lot of the things you listed are such as Editor in Chief and Information Resources. Also what is Bright Lights?

Does she have to do all the classes with the group? You could drop that and do history at home. What kind of art class is it? I guess I'm wondering what kind of homework an art class has.

Does the writing at home course have grammar? If so, can just let her do the diagramming worksheets or something?

I don't think I am much help.

What if you did 1/2 year of Rod & Staff English, and 1/2 year of composition? Many programs are divided this way, so I think it's OK to just do half year of each. I'm not sure how these particular programs are written - you may need to skip some things to make it work.

Consider also dropping Wordly Wise. You have Spelling. You have French. You also have a lit discussion group. That would probably cover all of the vocabulary that you need.

Editor in Chief might be another one you could shelve. If she is editing quite a bit in her writing course and/or in English, then a separate editing program might be more overlap.

Definitely keep the things she enjoys!

The list is very heavy on Language Arts. Not a bad thing...but if something needs to be dropped, that might be where you start weeding. I remember in high school I had so many Language Arts credits that I had to count a bunch of them as electives:) Guess I liked Language Arts!

Maybe drop Wordly Wise or purchase the audio cd so she can listen to it instead. This is what my ds is doing. He likes learning new words, we made sure not to schedule in with his curriculum because he says it stays more fun that way.

Editor in Chief, can this be done in the summer? I don't know what Information Resources is, can you drop that for now? Is Write at Home, a grammar couse as well? If so, drop R&S. She can always diagram other sentences in the Write at Home course or if you use Easy Grammar, have her diagram those sentences.

Our days are just going a bit too long.... any suggestions on what to drop?

My thoughts (I like R&S ;) )

Keep: Saxon 87, R&S 6 (drop the composition assignments), Apologia General Science, Write at Home, French, Wordly Wise, and Spelling

Drop: Editor in Chief and Information Resources

Informal (Weekends, free time, for fun): Artistic Pursuits

No idea about the outside/group courses. :001_smile:

Instead of dropping why not just stagger the scheduling for some? For example instead of doing wordly wise and ed in chief at the same time do one now and when it is done then start the other. WW has 20 weeks the way I do it so I work that out and something else starts after that. That is a long term schedule adjustment that might work for some of the other subjects as well. As a weekly adjustment, you might try making some of the topics a MWF or a TTH class instead of daily. These kinds of things have made it possible for me to cover a lot of curriculum in the year without having to drop any. HTHs

Our days are just going a bit too long.... here's what we are doing any suggestions on what to drop?

Saxon 8/7

Rod and Staff English 6

Apologia General Science

Write at home comp 7 (paid for can't drop)

Editor in Chief

Infromation Resources

French (2nd favorite)

Wordly Wise 7

Spelling 6 (she HAS to do this!)

Artistic Pursuits Jr. High book 1 (her favorite)

With a group... meets 2 times per month... has homework

History (SOTW 4 with other resources)

Lit discussion group (has homework)

Art ( very lightweight - very little homework)

outside activites:

Fencing and Character course (2 times per week starts in October goes through November)

any thoughts?

I considered dropping the Rod and Staff and just using something like Easy Grammar since she has a writeathome.com course, but wasn't sure. She really likes diagramming.

Honestly, I wouldn't drop so much as I would just schedule differently. For instance, we do R&S English 3 days a week (we won't quite finish the book, but that is not a big deal to me...we can just pick up where we left off next year), writing 2 days a week, French 4 days a week (short, minimal lessons), etc. Is there anything that you could condense or shorten how often she does it...i.e. don't do everything every.single.day. ?

Maybe drop Wordly Wise or purchase the audio cd so she can listen to it instead. This is what my ds is doing. He likes learning new words, we made sure not to schedule in with his curriculum because he says it stays more fun that way.

Editor in Chief, can this be done in the summer? I don't know what Information Resources is, can you drop that for now? Is Write at Home, a grammar couse as well? If so, drop R&S. She can always diagram other sentences in the Write at Home course or if you use Easy Grammar, have her diagram those sentences.

Oh my. You just made my day. And made me feel great for blowing off doing the dishes to hang out here. I had no idea Wordly Wise had cds. We've been doing a lot of car schooling lately and this is perfect. I have the books, but we never seem to get to them. PLus, ds needs pronunciation help more than anything. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Laura

Oh my. You just made my day. And made me feel great for blowing off doing the dishes to hang out here. I had no idea Wordly Wise had cds. We've been doing a lot of car schooling lately and this is perfect. I have the books, but we never seem to get to them. PLus, ds needs pronunciation help more than anything. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Laura

I was so happy to find the audio cds. It happened by accident. I was shopping for something else at the time (not sure what anymore) they are a bit pricey but worth it. My son has the book to and since he has trouble with reading he looks at the words, while hearing them being pronounced. He sees and hears it. At other times he just pops in the cds and listens. He gets excited with the new words he learns.

I need to do the dishes too :)

Yikes! Personally, I would NOT drop R&S. It is too thorough and too foundational. You can always not do their writing assignments and only do odd of the actual grammar exercises. You might finish the book if you did only 3 days per week but if you don't you'd only be missing the last one or two chapters (I think they are on topics such as dictionary and concorddance use).

Like the OP I would drop one or two of your other LA topics. Does she have to do the group art? Even though it doesn't have that much homework the time adds up.

math - Saxon 8/7

English - Rod and Staff English 6, Write at home comp 7 (paid for can't drop), Editor in Chief, Information Resources, Wordly Wise 7, Spelling 6 (she HAS to do this!), Lit discussion group (has homework)

science - Apologia General Science

foreign language - French (2nd favorite)

art - Artistic Pursuits Jr. High book 1 (her favorite), Art ( very lightweight - very little homework)

history - History (SOTW 4 with other resources)

outside activites:

You have really loaded up on English resources. I would keep spelling, the writing course, and the literature course. Then I'd either do Rod&Staff or do the other things listed under English (Information Resources, Editor in Chief, Wordly Wise). I sure wouldn't do a complete program like Rod and Staff and then supplement it with one paid writing course, a literature discussion course, and then several other LA components on top of those.