Menu

KitchenAid stand mixer--buying one tomorrow at Carson's sale. Which one???

Folks, I'm buying a KitchenAid stand mixer tomorrow at the sale at Carson Pirie Scott. I don't know which one to get, though. I enjoy cooking and usually cook from scratch. We also bake our own bread. I'm feeling drawn to the biggest, baddest stand mixer money can buy, but don't want to spend money unnecessarily if a "lesser" model will serve just as well.

Please advise. Thank you.

Commercial Stand Mixer:

http://www.carsons.com/shop/home/kitchen/small-appliances/mixers-attachements/kitchenaid-commercial-stand-mixer_294036.html?query=kitchenaid+mixer+stand

Classic Plus Stand Mixer:

http://www.carsons.com/shop/home/kitchen/small-appliances/mixers-attachements/kitchenaid-classic-plus-stand-mixer_140601.html?query=kitchenaid+mixer+stand

Artisan Stand Mixer:

http://www.carsons.com/shop/home/kitchen/small-appliances/mixers-attachements/kitchenaid-artisan-stand-mixer-free-gifts_111176.html?query=kitchenaid+mixer+stand

I've had the classic and the commercial (which has more watts), and they're both excellent. However, if you mix or knead a lot of heavy doughs, I'd advise going for the extra wattage and bigger bowl. I burnt out the motor on my smaller model, but I should have known better than to try to knead a really dense rye dough for rather a long time.

On the other hand, the tilting head of the smaller model, as opposed to the lifting bowl of the larger, was easier to work with. You can just tilt it out of the way when you need to add ingredients.

Ideally, you're going to have this in almost daily use for years and years to come. So I agree with the above posters - go for the most you can get. When you factor it out over the years of use, the difference in price isn't very much.

I have the Artesian and I like it a whole bunch, but it's not huge. If you're doing bulk cooking or have a large family, you'd want to go bigger.

And MORE POWER is always a good thing.

Go for the biggest baddest one you can afford :) Seriously.

Yep. I had a classic that I liked, but it could barely handle two loaves worth of bread dough. DH bought me the model that Costco sells (in RED :001_tt1:) for my birthday and I love it.

The tilt-head is nice, but I don't think you find it on anything higher-watt than an artisan. Once you get used to the bowl-lift, it's really not a big deal, IMO. Worth the trade off in power.