Menu

Need Physics recommendation...not Apologia...

I blindly follow what's on the Kolbe curriculum. They're catholic but their sciences are secular. If there is need of a religious discussion it will be in the teacher's guide that they provide.

They use Conceptual Physics by Kinetic Books

Physics with Lab (Conceptual) Course Texts:

•Conceptual Physics, Digital Text only, Kinetic Books (T5500), OR Conceptual Physics, Textbook and Digital Text, Kinetic Books (T5500B)

•Conceptual Physics Solutions Manual,Kinetic Books (T5500A), Optional*

•Virtual Physics Labs, Kinetic Books (T5502)

•Virtual Physics Lab Solution Manual, Kinetic Books, (T5502A), Optional*

•Kolbe Academy Guide to Writing a Lab Report (T5140), Kinetic Books, Optional

*Solution Manuals available to registered families per the request of Kinetic Books publishing.

Supplemental:

•Practical Physics Labs by Peter Goodwin may be used as an alternative to Virtual Physics Lab if hands-on lab work is preferred. (T5304)

Course Description:

This course is designed to give an understanding of classical physics. Physics is the science of the natural laws of the physical universe, which, like the natural moral law, flow through creation, having as their origin the goodness of God. "The beauty of creation reflects the infinite beauty of the Creator and ought to inspire the respect and submission of man's intellect and will" (New Catechism of the Catholic Church 342).

The beauty of the Kinetic Books program comes out through the interactive whiteboard applications integrated into the E-book. Their examples, concepts, and equation demonstrations really bring physics to a new level for home schooled students. Though the course could certainly be done just using the paper bound text, it is highly recommended that students take advantage of the computer based E-book and its whiteboard applications. The E-book offers the same benefits that a paper bound text has as students can highlight, enlarge text, and add notes as they read. This course is conceptual in nature and includes a limited number of math-based physics problems to work within the course plans. It is designed to give the student a general understanding of the concepts in classical physics, but is not appropriate for those students aiming to take the Advanced Placement test for college credit. However, the course will give an appropriate background for a student planning on taking a basic physics class at a university.

This course is typically done in 10th or 11th grade and includes the following topics: mechanics, thermodynamics, mechanical waves, electricity and magnetism, and light and optics. Most weeks have lab work assigned by using the Virtual Physics Lab or an Interactive Problem in the E-book.

For kids headed into sciences they recommend

Physics with Lab (Trigonometry based)Honors Designation Available

Course Texts:

•Principles of Physics, Digital Text only, Kinetic Books (T5501), OR Principles of Physics, Textbook and Digital Text, Kinetic Books (T5501B)

•Virtual Physics Labs, Kinetic Books (T5502)

•Virtual Physics Lab Solution Manual, Kinetic Books, (T5502A), Optional*

•Kolbe Academy Guide to Writing a Lab Report (T5140), Kinetic Books, Optional

*Solution Manuals available to registered families per the request of Kinetic Books publishing.

Supplemental:

•Practical Physics Labs by Peter Goodwin may be used as an alternative to Virtual Physics Lab if hands-on lab work is preferred. (T5304)

•AP Physics B preparation book for students interested in taking the AP Physics B exam. Local bookstores or libraries generally carry books by Princeton Review and Kaplan. You can find other suggestions at the College Board website: http://www.collegeboard.com.

Course Description:

This course is designed to give an understanding of classical physics. Physics is the science of the natural laws of the physical universe, which, like the natural moral law, flow through creation, having as their origin the goodness of God. "The beauty of creation reflects the infinite beauty of the Creator and ought to inspire the respect and submission of man's intellect and will" (New Catechism of the Catholic Church 342).

This course is mathematical in nature and includes several math-based physics problems to work as well as conceptual problems. Students interested in taking the Advanced Placement test in Physics (B) would find the Honors track appropriate for preparation. However, the Kolbe Core (K) track also gives an appropriate background for a student planning on taking a math heavy physics class at a university. The beauty of the Kinetic Books program comes out through the interactive whiteboard applications integrated into the E-book. Their examples, concepts, and equation demonstrations really bring physics to a new level for home schooled students. Though the course could certainly be done just using the paper bound text, it is highly recommended that students take advantage of the computer based E-book and its whiteboard applications. The E-book offers the same benefits that a paper bound text has as students can highlight, enlarge text, and add notes as they read.

This course is typically done in 10th or 11th grade and includes the following topics: mechanics, thermodynamics, mechanical waves, electricity and magnetism, and light and optics. Most weeks have lab work assigned by using the Virtual Physics Lab or an Interactive Problem in the E-book.

Your ds can start today with the Georgia Public Broadcasting materials which were developed using Conceptual Physics, Holt Physics and some other text.

There is an online (video) teacher and at this point the materials are still free.

Hierarchy-wise, the GPB course has more math than Conceptual Physics and less math than Apologia. It is completely secular. We used it in conjunction with Apologia so that ds could see labs being done or do them, have the audiovisuals that the teacher brought into view, etc. But he needed more math exposure, thus the Apologia (which is not as hard as Giancoli which is AP Physics B level).

Each numbered session has a video and worksheets. The first few are a little on the boring side dealing with sig figs, measurements, etc. You can read more about teachers materials in the thread below.

The physics series. (there is also chemistry)

The vector demonstration is useful if ds has not had experience. Very methodical with lots of examples. I found that kind of thing useful as sometimes homeschooled kids do not require enough precision of themselves because they have not seen it demonstrated when just reading a book.

In this old thread, it was explained how to download the videos and get the test materials.

This is not high level physics, ie you would not be able to do the SAT II Physics exam afterwards. But it has more than CP by itself.

Joan

We have (but haven't totally used) the Giancoli book for trig-based physics. I bought because it's an approved text for Physics B AP classes; it looks like a great book. Dd did the first couple of chapters. We didn't use it because my dd decided to do the Physics C exam instead. It's totally secular.

For labs, the other posters have given great ideas. I also recommend the "slide show" type labs on the DIVE CD, but that is a Christian program. I like the DIVE labs because they are simple to do. You watch the lab (can do it if you like), then write it up by filling in their pre-done sheets. It is a good transition from elementary science to lab reports. I do not think there is a lot of creationist doctrine on the DIVE Physics CD.

For other physics fun, we like Dr. Levine's MIT Physics opencourseware class. This is a calc-based physics course, but he does a wonderful lab activity in each class. He swings from a large pendulum in one of the mechanics lectures. It's very entertaining. Dd laughed out loud at a lot of them. I just love gifted teachers like him. And it's free!

HTH,

GardenMom

If you can find a physics text with worked out solutions to the problems, you may find physics a lot easier to do.

But if you do Conceptual Physics, just having the answers might be enough, if the student (or the parent?) is strong in math. My daughter was doing ok with Hewitt's Conceptual Physics as long as she had me and my other daughter helping her. (Part of our problem was that we don't have the answers in our edition, so someone else needed to check her work.) But in this very old book (it's like 3rd edition, or so), while the examples were mostly useful, the text that went with them was just plain confusing. I don't know if that's been fixed in later versions. I'd also want to be sure I had the answers in the back (to at least some of the problems).

We've started with Thinkwell for chemistry. It seems ok. (We're using the AP lectures. I don't know what the "standard" one is like and I haven't seen the physics ones.) I have only 2 complaints. One is that the quizzes are sometimes confusing. Some questions have more than one right answer. Some have no right answer. Some contradict what was said in the lecture. And there aren't enough additional problems to work. (Although I could just be missing them.) We've had to go to another text to get enough problems (we're using Zumdahl, with a full solutions manual).

I have not been overly impressed with the Teaching Company science courses. I haven't seen the physics one specifically, though. We tried the astronomy one and couple others. They seemed a bit dumbed down. Hewitt's Conceptual Physics, in contrast, isn't really dumbed down, it's just physics without calculus. The Teaching Company tapes were dumbed down to the point where I didn't even get it (and I have several science degrees).

Can you get the Teaching Company course from your library? They are really expensive. you might want to see them first.

Also, I discovered that the astronomy guy who lectures for Teaching Company is at Berkeley, and his lectures are online. It's virtually the same course, but free:

http://webcast.berkeley.edu/course_details.php?seriesid=1906978334

If you hunt around the Berkeley site, you might also find a physics course that will work for you. Although, I agree, that the MIT one is really nice. The only problem I have with it is that it's sometimes really hard to read what's on the board. My older tried that one and gave up because I would have to sit with her and write out the equations so she could see them (since I already knew what they were supposed to be). The MIT one is calc based (I think?) so you might find one at Berkeley that is only algebra based. Still, there may be problems with reading the board.

I vote Kinetic Physics too having used it but also like Giancoli if you want to be more traditional in the textbook approach. The beauty of Kinetic Physics is that it is self-contained. The downside is that the solutions manual stinks. It fails to present alternative ways of solving the problems so as a parent it is wise to not 'dock't he student for getting the right answer another way. That said, Giancoli has fabulous support materials - expensive but top notch.

Mary

Have you tried to download the videos lately? I tried, based on the instructions in the old thread, without any success.

It was my son who did it in May. He just got back from biking for 6 hours and is too exhausted to think. He'll try tomorrow and I'll let you know.

But in this very old book (it's like 3rd edition, or so), while the examples were mostly useful, the text that went with them was just plain confusing. I don't know if that's been fixed in later versions.

I have the first edition (1987) and the 2006 edition and so far there are almost no changes in the wording. Occasionally there is a different review question at the end of the chapter. The pictures are now all color and some of the diagrams are different....I have the teacher's book for the second edition (1992) and can basically use it for all the questions.

My dd really likes to do hands-on labs. The GPB course actually encourages doing some of the demonstrations and has built in pauses for setting up. It has lab sheets, notetaking sheets and I'm guessing the teacher materials contain answers, quizzes, tests and some sort of schedule or at least some guidance......

We need definite guidelines with assignments or at least problem sets with solutions and hands-on labs. We have tons of lab equipment and I can get more if needed.

She uses the Lial's books for math and is currently in Pre-Calculus. She can handle a fair amount of math and prefers plenty of practice problems to cement the information.

About GPB, the teacher's materials have the answers, quizzes, tests and an outline of what will be covered. Not in depth teaching materials.

If your daughter likes math and is looking for something harder, Giancoli is that. If you don't have any physics background to help her get through, it can be tricky. But if you have the funds, have you looked into the PA Homeschoolers Physics B course? He uses Giancoli. I don't know if his course is full or not, but so far my son really likes it. Ds did do the prep physics last year. We had tried jumping into Giancoli last year but he wasn't ready. He hadn't started Precalc yet though. The course and books and lab materials come to almost $900. But you say you have a lot of lab materials, so you might be able to check the list and just buy the lab manual which would save at least a hundred or more (not sure of price of lab manual).

HTH,

Joan