Menu

What were your favorite books from Ancient time period?

Pat in MI

Coolidge's The Trojan War is not perfect, but the writing gripped my son, aged 6.

What we have really enjoyed, over and over, are the Naxos recordings of The Wanderings of Odysseus, The Tale of Troy, Greek Myths, More Greek Myths, Arabian Tales, Norse Myths. The readings are superb, my son and I listen while we color or build things (or he does it and I cook!).

http://www.amazon.com/Tales-Greek-Legends-Junior-Classics/dp/9626344121/ref=pd_sim_b_2

Look at the "other things people bought" area.

We have boys, who love those boy-coming-of-age stories that involve battles:

The Golden Goblet (McGraw) -- hist. fict.

God King (Williamson) -- hist. fict.

Shadow Warrior (Norton) -- hist. fict.

Hittite Warrior (Williamson) -- hist. fict.

Archimedes and the Door to Science (bendick) -- biography

Galen and the Gateway to Medicine (Bendick) -- biography

Detectives in Togas (Winterfield) -- hist. fict.

Eagle of the Ninth (Sutcliff) -- hist. fict.

We have boys, who love those boy-coming-of-age stories that involve battles:

The Golden Goblet (McGraw) -- hist. fict.

Hittite Warrior (Williamson) -- hist. fict.

Archimedes and the Door to Science (bendick) -- biography

Detectives in Togas (Winterfield) -- hist. fict.

:iagree:

We also enjoyed The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare.

We enjoyed a lot of the ones mentioned already, but I haven't seen The Cat of Bubastes by G.A. Henty on anyone's list - we loved that one!

And yes, yes, yes to The Bronze Bow. Fabulous read.

We're doing Sutcliff's The Eagle of the Ninth right now, and my boy is definitely enjoying it more than my girl.

SBP

Edited by SBP

I loved Mara, Daughter of the Nile enough from my childhood that I kept my copy. We have just started ancients again for logic stage, so I'm looking forward to reading it with my daughter. I also remember reading The Bronze Bow and Shadow Hawk (I was a big fan of Andre Norton at that stage).

Ludmilla Zeman's Gilgamesh trilogy is good (as is Tony Garone's Gilgamesh concept album http://www.garone.net/tony/gilgamesh.html---my daughter has loved it for years). We have any number of versions of the Classical myths (particularly Greek).

We tried the Henty books (Jim Weiss audio version) but just couldn't get into them.

Edited by KarenNC

Coolidge's The Trojan War is not perfect, but the writing gripped my son, aged 6.

What we have really enjoyed, over and over, are the Naxos recordings of The Wanderings of Odysseus, The Tale of Troy, Greek Myths, More Greek Myths, Arabian Tales, Norse Myths. The readings are superb, my son and I listen while we color or build things (or he does it and I cook!).

http://www.amazon.com/Tales-Greek-Legends-Junior-Classics/dp/9626344121/ref=pd_sim_b_2

Look at the "other things people bought" area.

Are these recordings read from books like Rosemary Sutcliffe's or Mary Pope Osborne's? We're trying to find all audiobooks of the tale of Odysseus and maybe even a few Greek myths.

Are these recordings read from books like Rosemary Sutcliffe's or Mary Pope Osborne's? We're trying to find all audiobooks of the tale of Odysseus and maybe even a few Greek myths.

This is not a retelling for children, but you may want to keep your eyes open for the cd of Derek Jacobi performing the Iliad (Robert Fagle translation). It is a bit abridged, but fabulous to hear it. Once the kids have heard the story, it would be cool to play some of this to give them a flavor of the beauty of the cadence and language (even in translation). Ian McKellan has also done the Odyssey.

A bit out of this period :), but well worth hearing when you get there next year, is the performance of Beowulf in the original Anglo-Saxon by Bnejamin Bagby http://www.amazon.com/Iliad-Homer/dp/1565119312

THe following were my kids favorite from the time they were elementary age through high school. I must admit, too, that they were books I LOVED reading to my kids as well.

Hittite Warrior - big favorite

The God King

Archimedes and the Door of Science

The Golden Goblet - big hit

Detective in Togas and sequel - little ones really love

Ides of April and Beyond the Desert Gate

The Cat of Bubastes - my son and I loved - GA Henty

For some reason, I've only run into the author, Benedict Flynn, in Naxos recordings:

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=n%3A283155%2Cp_27%3ABenedict%20Flynn&field-author=Benedict%20Flynn&page=1

I don't know when these were written, but they are very good, every bit as good as MPO's Odyssey. So far, Troy, of the ancients, is the most complex, and my son didn't really "love" it until he was 7, but the others he listened to K and 1st, over and over. He also listened to MPO's O, but as he matured, he listens only to the Naxos recordings, now. And sometimes Trumpet of the Swan. Late in gr 2 he started comprehending the Naxos recording of Robin Hood (after seeing the Errol Flynn movie).

I mention them here every chance I get, but I'd not bumped into anyone else who has posted on them. We only have the Arabian Nights on tape, so to listen, my son has to sit in the garage, which he will do, just to hear it.

His other tastes are David Attenborough, (the old) Jason and the Argonauts, the 1950's Ulysses with Kirk Douglas, Mysterious Island, Hemo the Magnificent and an audio reading of Island of the Blue Dolphin, plus the Vox music masters. Just an idea of what kind of child these might appeal to. They are not twaddle!