Menu

Not using curriculum - an update for those of you who are interested

Thanks for your encouraging words everyone. You know, before I wrote that and reread it, I felt that we really hadn't done much school this week. It has been kind of an unorganized mish-mosh of a week because dh took off from work and that always disrupts things. It's nice to have him here, but still it means I must focus much of my energy on him and not school (I'm thinking especially meals, which we usually just scrounge for when he's at work:)). Also, I took Labor Day off to have a family picnic/birthday party for ds22.

I didn't even mention what I'm doing with Dd11 so will have to give that a write up as well.

Anyway, thanks for all the kind thoughts - you are all very, very encouraging and I appreciate it very much.

That was so interesting! This is my first year hs'ing, so I'm very curriculum-oriented. For history this year we're using History Odyssey Ancients (Level 2), which I liked because it offers so many ways to incorporate what ds is reading with learning different kinds of writing--outlining, summarizing, essay writing, creating timelines, etc.). I like that it includes YA novels to put a human perspective on life in the ancient world. My hope is that once ds develops those important learning tools (ones that weren't taught much in ps), that moving forward in history we can take an approach more similar to yours. I've already picked out and bought some interesting history books for the future that I hope will take us down many rabbit holes! :)

I'm learning a lot as well. The main thing I've learned this week is that I do not know how to teach a 14yo boy how to write. Not sure how I'm going to fix that, but there it is. He's gone to a Washington Nationals game with his dad and brother at the invitation of his uncle today. I'm going to spend the evening trying to figure out what I am doing wrong and how to fix it. All suggestions welcome.:)