Menu

New Jersey: do you have a co-op in your area?!

I run two co-ops, both in the southern part of the state. Are you asking for yourself?

Yes, I'm wondering what co-ops are out there. I joined the Sussex Co. co-op this year and the week before it was suppose to start, the co-op was canceled.

A co-op in Bergen, Passaic or Morris county would work for me but I'm not having any luck finding one. It's like I'm living in the homeschool dead zone. :glare:

I should have moved south when I had the opportunity! :tongue_smilie:

• 2 weeks later...

I thought there used to be a co-op at a church in Randolph, but I'm not sure if it is active anymore. I found a homeschool group on meetup.com that seems to be very active in northern NJ. I joined and paid the fee, but I've been so busy I haven't done anything yet. Maybe someone there will know of any co-ops.

Edited by dsmith
typo

• 3 weeks later...

Are you looking for Religious or Secular? What age group?

I believe there is a religious co-op in Hillsdale. There is one for younger kids that meets in Chestnut Ridge, NY. At least it used too.

I am in Bergen County and it has been impossible to get a secular co-op going here. I am not sure what the reasons are that cause this. Some of it is scheduling. Some of it seems to be commitment issues. Many of the homeschoolers I meet in the area are busy and don't want to tie up one day a week every week.

I started to host a tween boys gathering on the first Friday of the month last year. The first couple of gatherings everyone was so excited. So enthused that I had taken the initiative, so definitely going to come every month. After the first 3 months, out of the initial 9 boys there are 3 who still come. Turn out has been so pitiful I told my ds that if nobody new comes out of the woodwork we will stop in December and just arrange times for him to hang out with his friends.

The meetup group organizes some great events and I utilize a couple of the yahoo groups that are very active.