Menu

Phonics necessary for first grader who reads well?

workingmom

Ds 5 learned to read with HOP up to second grade level last year. And now in 1st, he's reading small chapter books pretty well. I've seen a lot of discussion on the boards about Phonics for little ones. Is it necessary if they already know how to read? What's a light way to make sure they know it?

I saw the library had Phonics Pathways so I put it on hold? What do some of the other 1st and 2nd graders do for phonics if they already know how to read? I guess I'm not sure why I need it at this point?

Any pros and cons about Phonics Pathways?

I've used Phonics Pathways to teach both of mine to read. I like that the lessons are short, focused on one rule at a time, and in your case you can skip ahead to any sounds that might need work. Both of mine have become strong readers by about 2/3 through PP, so I stop then. Once they can read things like the Little House series with no problem, I skip through PP a bit to see if there's anything they *can't* read, then put it away. Then we use a different spelling program (look for one that groups words by sound and reminds the rule if there is one) but stop the phonics as a separate lesson.

I would not skip phonics at all IMHO and instead use it as a way to do beginning spelling. Phonics are necessary for more difficult words and spelling IMO..

:iagree:

Look at the recent threads on using phonics programs as spelling programs. You can ask him to read one page of words from Phonics Pathways, then spell a few with magentic letters or letter tiles.

For multi-syllabic words, I would suggest you look at Webster's Speller. Even if you don't use it as it was meant to be used, you can just look at it as a comprehensive list of words categorized by pronunciation.

We are using PP too. I like it. It teaches both spelling and phonics. You could easily make up "rule" cards or a "rule sheet", which there is actually a rule and spelling sheet in the back of the book.

My ds is progressing pretty well on reading too, but I want to make sure he has the "rules" down and has a good spelling base.

My son basically taught himself to read in the first grade. He strongly resisted any of my efforts to teach him and once he was reading, he would guess at words he didn't know and not sound out words.

We made the move in 2nd grade to All About Spelling. That's where we got the phonics - and it's made a huge difference. He spells a lot better and now sounds out words too. So if you don't use an official phonics program, check out some the phonics-based spelling programs.

I would not skip phonics at all IMHO and instead use it as a way to do beginning spelling. Phonics are necessary for more difficult words and spelling IMO. My ds was a fantastic early reader and I simply used the phonics lessons from K12 as a spelling lessons:).

Yep, this. My 5 yo DD is a self-taught reader who is reading extremely well. We're using AAS 1 concurrently with her and her 7yo brother.

Ds 5 learned to read with HOP up to second grade level last year. And now in 1st, he's reading small chapter books pretty well. I've seen a lot of discussion on the boards about Phonics for little ones. Is it necessary if they already know how to read? What's a light way to make sure they know it?

I would only drop it if you plan to do a phonics heavy spelling program, like AAS, SWR, WRTR, PR or Megawords.

Heather

Reading is such an important skill, you want to make sure you have taught all the sound/spelling correspondences to be able to sound out anything. For a quick review of phonics, you could work through the program on my how to tutor page, but just reading and spelling a few words from each section of the Blend Phonics Reader. That's what I did with my daughter for 2 years in a row after she was reading, just for review and to make sure. I also have spelling and syllable division rules that go along with the words, and a few additional word patterns and exceptions that are not in Blend Phonics.

I'm not quite sure I understand the Webster's Speller. Is it a separate program or just using the Dictionary to learn phonics/grammar? I look into those threads.

It is what they used to teach reading and spelling in the late 1700's and early 1900's in America, it teaches phonics and spelling to a 12th grade level. When students were done, they went directly to reading their Bibles, which were all written around the 12th grade level then.