Menu

I Have the Most Fantastic In-Laws BUT...

My son and I have bronchitis. My husband has pneumonia. We're all popping antibiotics and hiding out in the cool basement because we're all having trouble breathing in the hot, humid air.

My in-laws were just over to drop off my daughter (who managed to get through the flu with no complications).

They came downstairs to see us and commented that maybe my husband would feel better if he got on his lawn tractor and mowed a bit of the lawn.

???

My DH explained that he can't take the heat right now. His mother explained that there was a nice breeze! His dad said the fresh air would help clear him up!

Keep in mind that he explained to them earlier that he couldn't climb our staircase without stopping for a 15 minute break in the middle to get his wind back.

I do not think they know what pneumonia is and what it does to a person.:confused:

Ah well, I still love them. :)

Guest Alte Veste Academy

:lol: :iagree:

I hope you feel better soon! Bronchitis is awful and pneumonia nearly killed me!

Edited by Alte Veste Academy
Deleted needless venting. :D

Whenever I was sick as a child, my parents made me go outside and sit in the sun. They believed that being outside and in the sun was a cure for anything and everything (that, castor oil, and whiskey). Maybe your inlaws have the same health philosophy about the sun?

With my mother-in-law, it's Fresh Air. She believes fervently that anything from dizziness to a dangling limb can be cured with Fresh Air (I swear, she manages to put the capital F and A into the phrase even when she speaks it). Whatever the problem, her advice is to open a window.

Then again, at 80 years old she's one of the healthiest and most vibrant people I know, so maybe she's onto something.

When I was pregnant with dd, gestational diabetes and all, flaked out on the sofa for 26 weeks, my MIL told me I needed to get energised and should take Scottish (or something) dancing classes. On the rare times I did have to leave the house, it was so slow going I was being overtaken by old ladies with walkers.

No, I didn't enrol for dancing classes. I lay on the couch and stared at Bollywood movies, or at the wall if I was too tired to do that!

Some things exercise and fresh air will not cure! Pregnancy and pneumonia are right up on that list!

Ah well. It's funny later, when we're restored back to health...

:)

Rosie

How old are they?

They're in their 50's so no excuse there. My MIL also said we needed herbal tea. :confused: Of course my own mother told me I needed vitamins to get over it.;)

Thanks Moms but I think I'll stick to powerful, broad-spectrum antibiotics and lots of sleep!

hiding out in the cool basement because we're all having trouble breathing in the hot, humid air.

Well, I just checked the weather forecast from the airport, and we are having one more super hot day tomorrow, and it's cooling down on Friday, thanks to Earl. I've had fans blowing at me all day, as I've been unpacking and reorganizing my life from being away til Monday night. This is just awful heat and humidity, isn't it. Kinda hard to unpack and reorganize, AND prep for a hurricane! I'm glad we have an AC unit in our bedroom. And I hope you all are feeling better soon.

P.S. my asthmatic dd is having a hard time breathing, too.

I have a new appreciation for what asthmatic folk have to go through now Colleen. As embarrassing and ignorant as it is, I always sort of thought asthma was mostly no big deal. I had no idea how much just not being able to breath normally could be a problem.

I can't wait 'till Earl gets here.

In case anyone's wondering we're usually a fairly healthy bunch.

But last Friday a truck got hit by a train (driver of truck survived with just a few broken ribs!) and took out the signal lights on the track.

My husband (who had a mild flu) went with other railroad workers to fix the light and ended up working 20 hours straight.

He came home and begged us to leave so the house would be quiet so I took the kids up to a local wildlife park and we did a mile and a half walk on a beautiful trail they have there. My daughter was just over the flu and my son and I had a few symptoms.

We got back in time to see the husband head out for another 14 hours of straight work on said lights.

So husband came by the pneumonia in a rather honest way while I stupidly thought a brisk hike would be a good idea for a bunch of sick people.

And I JUST remembered why I thought it would be good...Exercise in the FRESH AIR!

:banghead:

My son and I have bronchitis. My husband has pneumonia. We're all popping antibiotics and hiding out in the cool basement because we're all having trouble breathing in the hot, humid air.

My in-laws were just over to drop off my daughter (who managed to get through the flu with no complications).

They came downstairs to see us and commented that maybe my husband would feel better if he got on his lawn tractor and mowed a bit of the lawn.

I feel your pain. I have bronchitis too right now, and I have asthma, which is a bad combination. Yet I have some family members who can't understand why I can't peel myself off the couch and run the kids to soccer practice. :confused: