Menu

Cake decorating...but I don't like cake!!!

I love to decorate cakes, cupcakes things like that. I also really dislike eating cake :glare:. Any ideas on things I can make pretty instead of cake? My kids really are not that into it either, so I will make these beautiful cakes...but no one eats them. Except the courtesy first piece:001_smile:.

Maybe you could start offering to provide the cake for the birthday parties your kids are invited to. The cake could be the gift from your kids and you'd get to enjoy being creative without throwing out all that cake.

You could also contact a local retirement home to see if they could use a donated cake every now and then. I used to make cakes for the kids at a local children's home (that was in the 80's- do they even have children's homes now?).

Failing all that- bento lunches are quite artistic and it's lots of fun to provide pretty and tasty lunches.

I sympathize- I have decorated cakes since 1980 but my kids don't care for cake.

Butter carving? Vegetable sculpting (radish roses and so forth)? Fruit baskets? Cute bento boxes for lunch?

Look at Japanese stuff for inspiration; they're very into aesthetics of food. I've seen some cute bread / rolls done in Japan, as well as all sorts of other foods, especially for lunch.

Do you like ice cream? Maybe you could decorate ice cream "cakes"? Thaw the ice cream a bit, then spread into a cake pan lined with plastic wrap and refreeze. Decorate that like you would decorate a cake. It might also be a challenge... can you decorate it before it melts?!!!

Guest Dulcimeramy

Non-food option: Make sculpey jewelry.

I suggest that b/c my oldest son thought he wanted to learn how to decorate cakes. He looked at all the fondant equipment at JoAnn's and realized he could do all those techniques with sculpey. He just wanted to mold little pretties, not make cakes.

(It was a short-lived phase. He went directly from jewelry making to model rocketry.)

I do cakes as well but we like them! :001_smile:

-I like the ice cream cake idea.

-There is a local women and children's shelter here that does a birthday party every month for the kids. Could you check into donating the cake for such an occasion at one of your own local shelters?

-Or, consider a mommy who is frazzled...bless her with a beautifully decorated VERY chocolate cake! I haven't done the last one but I have delivered surprise dinners and if that went over well, I can only imagine a decadent cake making a tired mommy smile. :)