Menu

? about probiotic (not for the sensitive)

I took a pro-biotic for a while (Culturelle). I ran out. I bought some from the drug store (something generic).

I have finally realized that there has been a connection between its use and severe diarrhea. I get to where I feel like I am going to vomit, but I have to go to the bathroom at the same time. It was HORRIBLE tonight. I felt like I was going to die -- seriously. My mouth began watering, I began shaking, etc. I didn't end up vomiting, but I definitely cleaned out my system.

What is going on? Has anyone experienced this? I am throwing the generic out, but I am afraid to try another now. I have used various probiotics in the past without being partial to one brand. I don't want to go through this again. It has happened three times already. I have not been taking it consistently, so it wasn't three days in a row.

I am so sorry -- that must be one of the worst feelings in the world.

You will want to be certain that whatever you take next does NOT have magnesium stearate in it --

Sun Chlorella A is an excellent probiotic and actually is effective IF one is having an issue with diarrhea.

I buy it at my LLMD's office, but here is the website from the package:

www.sunchlorellausa.com

Was it the Culturelle or something else that made you ill? I'm asking b/c Culturelle actually has a pretty good reputation. If one had to walk into CVS and find a probiotic, that is probably the best they will find there.

I hope you feel better soon - go easy on your stomach.

No, the Culturelle was fine. It is the generic one that is horrible. I swear it feels like they mixed it up with a heavy-duty Ex-lax! :lol:

I am so sorry -- that must be one of the worst feelings in the world.

You will want to be certain that whatever you take next does NOT have magnesium stearate in it --

Sun Chlorella A is an excellent probiotic and actually is effective IF one is having an issue with diarrhea.

I buy it at my LLMD's office, but here is the website from the package:

www.sunchlorellausa.com

Was it the Culturelle or something else that made you ill? I'm asking b/c Culturelle actually has a pretty good reputation. If one had to walk into CVS and find a probiotic, that is probably the best they will find there.

I hope you feel better soon - go easy on your stomach.

Dawn, I'm so sorry! I know how awful those severe episodes can be.

Do I understand correctly that you were ok during the time that you were on Culturelle, but after you switched to the generic the episodes started? If so, I would get back on the Culturelle. It is one of the best studied and is highly regarded as far as I know. My dd has been using it to control her severe abdominal gas pains (the writhing-on-the-floor kind) and it's been very effective for that.

For most of my life I've suffered from IBS and the single most helpful thing I've ever done is go on a very regular eating schedule--three meals at the same times every day, no snacks, no junk, and no colas (that one's very hard for me!). The system seems to run more smoothly that way.

Alternatively, could it be a stomach bug or food poisoning? In which case I would think the Culturelle would also be helpful.

I hope you find something that helps.

Amy

How long have you been taking it and how long have you had the symptoms?

I had a TERRIBLE stomach bug a couple weeks ago that fit your symptoms. You'll know if someone else in your home comes down with symptoms.

Just to be safe, I would switch to something you know works!!!

I have taken some sort of probiotic for the last few years. Most of the time, I just took some sort of acidophillus. I don't have any IBS issues or any other issues -- I've just always thought that a body should have probiotic. I also eat nonfat plain yogurt with fruit a few times a week.

Upon reading some reviews, I bought Culturelle, which I used up. I failed to reorder. About a month later, I was in Walgreens and just grabbed a store brand probitic off the counter (as I had always done prior to Culturelle). I figured something was better than Culturelle until I got around to buying it again.

These episodes have happened before, and I finally pinned it down to the probiotic. Dummy me thought that perhaps I had just built up too much beneficial bacteria and that my system was saying, "no more!" So, I stopped. When I started up again (two days ago), I ended up with the same problems. I just now came back from the bathroom again. I am quite certain they are linked.

Dawn, I'm so sorry! I know how awful those severe episodes can be.

Do I understand correctly that you were ok during the time that you were on Culturelle, but after you switched to the generic the episodes started? If so, I would get back on the Culturelle. It is one of the best studied and is highly regarded as far as I know. My dd has been using it to control her severe abdominal gas pains (the writhing-on-the-floor kind) and it's been very effective for that.

For most of my life I've suffered from IBS and the single most helpful thing I've ever done is go on a very regular eating schedule--three meals at the same times every day, no snacks, no junk, and no colas (that one's very hard for me!). The system seems to run more smoothly that way.

Alternatively, could it be a stomach bug or food poisoning? In which case I would think the Culturelle would also be helpful.

I hope you find something that helps.

Amy

Thanks! I answered your question as well in the post just above. The generic has been tossed never to be taken again. I wish I would have saved the box.

Weird, because I took one of the sheets of probiotics without any trouble at all. But, you would think if something else were going on, I would have the sympoms apart from taking the probiotic.

How long have you been taking it and how long have you had the symptoms?

I had a TERRIBLE stomach bug a couple weeks ago that fit your symptoms. You'll know if someone else in your home comes down with symptoms.

Just to be safe, I would switch to something you know works!!!