Menu

Quick transcript question~

First of all, I have to say that since I homeschooled my oldest through an umbrella school, I haven't done this before. What I plan to do for the few schools where I will send course descriptions is send a transcript in a sealed envelope with a seal across it and marked official with my signature and then send a separate course description which will be stapled together so the pages are loose.

Most colleges don't want to see course descriptions. They handle a lot of paperwork and don't want more than they ask for. No college my dc have applied to (and been accepted to) has ever asked for more than just a transcript.

You may want to consider sending course descriptions only if the college asks for them.

IME, colleges do like to have the word "official" on the top of the transcript, and like having it in its own envelope marked "official transcript", and placed into another envelope which is addressed and mailed.

Oh my goodness, I have worked so hard on the course descriptions...somebody just has to read them! A real work of art. :D Now I have a problem with the stupid transcript program I bought. It doesn't say *official* at the top, just *High School Transcript*. I'm not sure what to do...I did get an embosser, so maybe they will think that makes it an official copy?? I will place it in a separate sealed envelope. Thanks so much, y'all!

I highly suggest that you ask the admissions office. Rather than go by anecdotal evidence, call each college your child is applying to, tell them you are calling in your role as guidance counselor (or school administrator, whatever), for your homeschooled child, and ask if they want to see course descriptions. Or email, if you prefer. First find out if the college has one particular admissions counselor for all homeschool applicants, or if they are grouped regionally with everyone else.

Now for our anecdotal evidence: We just got back from visiting several colleges, and every admissions counselor we spoke with asked for course descriptions. Without an umbrella school, or CC classes, they have no way to judge the rigor of our "school" and evaluate our students. They know the rankings and rigor of the public and private schools, so they can judge what a 4.0 at Ho-hum High means compared to a 3.7 at Smarty School. Course descriptions and textbooks used help with that assessment. Maybe it's the difference between huge state schools and small LACs?

Good Luck -- This is STRESS season around here!

Peace,

Maura

Good Luck -- This is STRESS season around here!

Peace,

Maura

This is me right now, trying to complete everything... :nopity:

This will be me when I am all finished...:cheers2:

Thanks for the great suggestions! I guess *Ho-Hum Home School High* won't look very good at the top of a transcript...:D

My daughter applied to ten colleges. The majority of those did ask for course descriptions. The package of papers I sent to the various colleges included her transcript, course descriptions, a homeschool profile, my counselor letter, and her reading and textbook list. I used a binder clip like this to hold all the documents together.

Regards,

Kareni

My daughter applied to ten colleges. The majority of those did ask for course descriptions. The package of papers I sent to the various colleges included her transcript, course descriptions, a homeschool profile, my counselor letter, and her reading and textbook list. I used a binder clip like this to hold all the documents together.

Regards,

Kareni

Thank you. Those clips are a great idea. May I ask what is a 'homeschool profile'? :)