Menu

Deconstructing Penguins

Hot Lava Mama

Wow! What an excellent book. I NEVER did anything like that in school. I am really unsure of how to proceed with using that method. I have read many of the books that the author talks about, but I would never have reached some of the conclusions they reached. Way above my head. How do I go about leading the discussions with my dc? The author always seemed to know the right questions to ask the kids so that they could come up with the correct "moral" or "underlying story". I also don't have a lot of strong history knowledge, so I wouldn't be able to provide some of the information about the time period in which the story was written. Is there some web site that can help lead the discussion (or give me some good questions and information) about some of the classic books? How do those of you who didn't have this type of class in school do it now?

I'm stumped, but I would LOVE to be able to teach my kids to have such insight from books. Can you help?

Hot Lava Mama

I just started. . . But what I did was make myself notes about Mr. Popper's Penguins (what ??s to ask, points to make) and then use the notes to guide the discussion. I used the book to make my notes, lol.

I think that after a handful of discussions modelled after Dec. Peng. it'll be easier to come up with on my own. . .

I'd love, love, love a nice stash of books with outlines/notes based on DP for me. . . That should be the authors' next project!!!

It would be nice to have all the deeper meaning flushed out for us, I agree.

But barring that, I think we need to remember that literature analysis is not an exact science. Look at the protagonist, the antagonist, and the climax, and think what jumps out at *you*. Lit classes in college always annoyed me with the "one correct interpretation" school of thinking. It may not be the same thing for everyone. I never attached the deeper meaning when we read Mr. Popper's Penguins, that's for sure!

I'm trying to help 9th grade ds with this as he does his online class. Another way I ask the question is to have him think about how a book can relate to him and his life (thus getting at the more general themes). In a short story, two snipers on opposite sides of a war doesn't seem to apply to us on the surface. But Excitement, Sibling Relations (the two snipers are brothers), Good/Evil, these are things that do relate.

Good luck,

Kirsten

Not sure this will be much help b/c it is not an easy 1, 2, 3 open and go answer. I always purchase study guides or notes (not Cliff notes - the other ones - I'll check and edit with the name of them) and I read through the notes and find my DP questions or ice-breaker questions there.

With the books that they specifically talk about in DP, I started with their questions and my kids just took over.

I am thinking of doing a class for our co-op next school year and I will plan the lessons (If I do it) pretty much the way I have described here.

Also, the study guides that one finds in the GT programs that colleges and universities offer are excellent. One only needs one or three good questions and a great discussion can be enjoyed.

Search for the book title here, and you will find many previous conversations, most with recommendations for follow-up.

The method described is used in the Junior Great Books program. I'm not sure if you can access their discussion facilitator guide without joining the program, but it has more instruction. Also, google things like "Socratic questions." Finally, the program Teaching the Classics teaches a parent how to lead a discussion like this.

I felt the same way at the end, so what I did was to re-read it and take notes. I made a list of the things that they talked about were important, and the order they did it. Those basic questions are applicable to any book. It would have been handy if they would have summarized that at the end of the book. Another book that I checked out of the library that gives questions for books to help is the book Suppose the Wolf Were an Octopus?. It's a book with creative questions on children's books.