Menu

Weird organizing question...

I've got my books catalogued on Library Thing w/ call #s & everything. Label-taped their spines, tagged them. I can plan unit studies at 3AM w/ internet access w/out having to get out of bed. It's awesome.

So here's the question: I want to not have my manipulatives strung all over the house, to be forgotten, lost, unused, etc. I'd like to put them in some form of a magazine holder & catalog them along w/ the books. Label tape, if possible, simply because the label-maker is so glorious.

I'm not sure everything will fit in magazine holders...that's one potential problem. But otherwise...if the math shelf had math books, cuisenaire rods, 10s blocks, math games, etc all together...well...wouldn't that be cool? And science experiments & geography puzzles & grammar games (not that we have any of those...)...

Why, yes, I DO tend toward the OCD side of life. Why do you ask? :confused::lol:

Go for it! I have all mine in one bookcase, using IKEA containers for storage. Click on my name and look at my schoolroom pics to see my math manipulatives.

It's an illness, I know, but there are worse things to obsess over. :lol:

I want to SEE. I clicked on your name, but then I didn't know what to do next. Help!

I think, go for it! Sounds like an awesome idea :)

BTW, which label maker do you have? I am yet to purchase one but it is on my wish list.

I don't know. I obssessed too much over which one to get, & my ils finally just gave me one for Mother's Day. Have I mentioned lately how awesome they are? Last yr they gave me the Levenger punch set thingy. And they don't like organizing...they just like *me* that much! :D Despite the OCD.

Go for it! I have all mine in one bookcase, using IKEA containers for storage. Click on my name and look at my schoolroom pics to see my math manipulatives.

It's an illness, I know, but there are worse things to obsess over. :lol:

Nevermind. I was desperate enough to see it to actually figure it out. I'm only a couple of pics in, but...gosh, I love looking at books, pics of books, fabrics printed w/ books, libraries...somebody should paint books. :D

I use LT too and catalogue our 'Supplemental Resources' -- posters, kits, games, puzzles, costumes, science equipment, cds/dvds, etc. If it fits in the bookshelf (and there is room), it goes into a magazine holder. (BTW, the holders at IKEA are less expensive than those at Staples.) So, yes, I have a magazine holder with Colonial money, Declaration of Independence reproduction, etc. The things that don't fit are at least catalogued under the right subject heading -- it helps me remember what we have stored away.

Except that I am not OCD and am way behind on cataloguing.

We have/had drawers for each type of manipulative. I guess it depends on how bulky they are. I don't know about the magazine holders at IKEA.

GREAT job on the books!!!! I did the same and it was such a help!

I cut a Bisquick box down for my tub of cuisenaire rods last night. Later, I'll cover it w/ fabric or scrapbooking paper or something. For now, I need the instructions for pancakes for about 4c longer. ;)

Good to see you. :001_smile:

Oh no, stop! STOP!!! I'm still filing! I'm not even close to finished!!! I can't start any new projects right now! I can't!!!! :svengo:

Now, with that said, I think it's a fabulous idea. My problem with the magazine holders would be that I would certainly have some manipulative that would need to go in but that wouldn't fit, and then it would drive me insane to put the one thing somewhere else, and then I'd never know where to find it again. Plus I don't have enough shelf space. I'd have to go with drawers (of which I have many) and then I could make a fandex, which I would of course laminate with my much-adored laminator. Then I could punch a whole in the corner and put it on a ring, and that would hang from a convenient prong that exists on the corner of my bookshelves.

You people are evil, I swear! *hurries off to examine her messy manipulative drawers*

Oh no, stop! STOP!!! I'm still filing! I'm not even close to finished!!! I can't start any new projects right now! I can't!!!! :svengo:

Now, with that said, I think it's a fabulous idea. My problem with the magazine holders would be that I would certainly have some manipulative that would need to go in but that wouldn't fit, and then it would drive me insane to put the one thing somewhere else, and then I'd never know where to find it again. Plus I don't have enough shelf space. I'd have to go with drawers (of which I have many) and then I could make a fandex, which I would of course laminate with my much-adored laminator. Then I could punch a whole in the corner and put it on a ring, and that would hang from a convenient prong that exists on the corner of my bookshelves.

You people are evil, I swear! *hurries off to examine her messy manipulative drawers*

If one thing has to go somewhere else (God forbid!), just note that in a tag on Library Thing. So at 3AM, when you're planning a unit study on coarse-haired donkeys, & you put "donkey" into LT, you'll get "Donkey Kong" along w/ all your other great books & manipulatives that might be relevant. Then, when you click it, it will tell you it's in the hallway on the shelf labelled "chaos." :D

oh my...you sound like me "I would of course laminate with my much-adored laminator."

At least you HAVE manipulative drawers...

I do love that thing, but I was also trying to make myself feel a little better about not having a label maker :lol: Yeah, we organization junkies have a lot in common...

And I do love my drawers too, even though they're just cheapo plastic ones from Target. This thread is timely, because I've been thinking about what to do with them. They started out all organized when I started HSing three years ago, but three years and one tornado child later, they're a wreck. They need a total re-do.

Welcome back, Jessica, and congratulations on all your terrific news :D :grouphug:

I've got my books catalogued on Library Thing w/ call #s & everything. Label-taped their spines, tagged them. I can plan unit studies at 3AM w/ internet access w/out having to get out of bed. It's awesome.

So here's the question: I want to not have my manipulatives strung all over the house, to be forgotten, lost, unused, etc. I'd like to put them in some form of a magazine holder & catalog them along w/ the books. Label tape, if possible, simply because the label-maker is so glorious.

I'm not sure everything will fit in magazine holders...that's one potential problem. But otherwise...if the math shelf had math books, cuisenaire rods, 10s blocks, math games, etc all together...well...wouldn't that be cool? And science experiments & geography puzzles & grammar games (not that we have any of those...)...

Why, yes, I DO tend toward the OCD side of life. Why do you ask? :confused::lol:

I planned to do the exact same thing! In fact I have a heart around a date next month just for ikea (its 4 hours away)! I can't wait. For all the larger things that wont fit into a magazine holder, I planned to get one of these from Ikea. Its big enough for posters, models etc.

Oh how I love organizational lovlies......OCD is great!! ;)

If one thing has to go somewhere else (God forbid!), just note that in a tag on Library Thing. So at 3AM, when you're planning a unit study on coarse-haired donkeys, & you put "donkey" into LT, you'll get "Donkey Kong" along w/ all your other great books & manipulatives that might be relevant. Then, when you click it, it will tell you it's in the hallway on the shelf labelled "chaos." :D

:lol::lol::lol: You made me laugh so hard the kids came upstairs to see what was going on!

You know, I used to roll my eyes at the idea of Library Thing. However, now that I've bought another copy of a book we own at least six times, and since I moved all my school books downstairs and found myself thinking, "Hey! I didn't know we had that! I could have really used it when we studied xyz!" Library Thing makes a whole lot more sense. I'm going to have to get on that...right after I finish filing!

I planned to do the exact same thing! In fact I have a heart around a date next month just for ikea (its 4 hours away)! I can't wait. For all the larger things that wont fit into a magazine holder, I planned to get one of these from Ikea. Its big enough for posters, models etc.

I have one of those, and it's perfect for storing large papers--really anything big and flat. The drawers aren't very deep, though, so it's not great for bulky items. I use mine for art supplies, water color paper, construction paper, painting trays, etc.

Anyway, all this to say it's an awesome storage piece for us OCD-types. :lol:

I have one of those, and it's perfect for storing large papers--really anything big and flat. The drawers aren't very deep, though, so it's not great for bulky items. I use mine for art supplies, water color paper, construction paper, painting trays, etc.

Anyway, all this to say it's an awesome storage piece for us OCD-types. :lol:

:) I looked at your school room right after posting and saw you have it too. Your billy bookcases make me swoon.

This thread makes me want to schedul a field trip to Ikea....after all its teaching orginizational habits which we all know lead to better study habits. :D

ps. typing one handed sorry!!

Nothing that costs more than $100 is on my shopping list, lol. I've got a giant portfolio my mom made for me in college, & it holds all of our posters & even slides behind the sofa. :D