Menu

literary lessons for LOTR - questions for the hive

rookie

is it secular? I believe it is. I haven't seen anything yet that leads me think differently.

is it enough for 8th grade LA? We're using it for a 7th grader and 8th grader this year.We're adding a separate resource for writing and grammar. I consider this mostly a comprehension course.

what do i need to purchase? You'll need the compiled 50th anniversary novel, Student workbook and Teacher guide. I also added an atlas of middle earth that I bought on Amazon.

how much time do i allot per day? We do half of the daily work outlined in the syllabus per day because we're extending the study.

how much time to complete it? a year or less? For us, since we're extending, I'd say maybe about a year and half.

what do you like / not like? So far I like the story and the assignments are no stress. We've had some interesting conversations as we've progressed in the program. So far I've had no dislikes.

is it secular?

is it enough for 8th grade LA? if not, what would be missing?

what do i need to purchase?

how much time do i allot per day?

how much time to complete it? a year or less?

what do you like / not like?

thanks!

We began it midway through 7th grade and have completed the first two sections, or we're about 1/3 of the way through. We'll finish it up this year (8th grade).

In addition to LLfLOTR ds will also complete the 3rd season of AG and complete a composition course via Laurel Tree Tutorials.

You probably need to purchase both the teacher's manual and the student workbook.

Ds works for about 45 minutes on it daily.

We enjoyed it but particularly liked the unit studies.

is it secular?

is it enough for 8th grade LA? if not, what would be missing?

what do i need to purchase?

how much time do i allot per day?

how much time to complete it? a year or less?

what do you like / not like?

thanks!

We've just started. I believe it's secular. There is an optional religious elements unit study. We are using it for 9th grade English. We've completed grammar studies and will just do review. We've completed writing instruction, and there seems to be plenty of writing assignments. As other's have said, you need the teacher, student, and LOTR book. I'm planning on an hour a day. Did you see the lesson plans at the website? We will complete it in a year.

There is nothing I don't like about LOTR.

OMG! Is this useful? helpful? worth it? or over the top ridiculous?

Totally useful for us! We love maps so it is something we use a lot. Tolkien was into maps in a big way and that is reflected in his works so the atlas is a great addition to the study. We're using the Atlas of Middle-Earth by Fonstad.

is it secular? I haven't seen anything religious yet and that is very important for me.

is it enough for 8th grade LA? if not, what would be missing? I'm using it for 9th grade English. It needs a separate grammar program. I've also added in a writing program because ds14 still needs writing instruction.

what do i need to purchase? I purchased the whole pack, even their version of the book because the teacher's guide refers to page numbers.

how much time do i allot per day? We are reading the book aloud. Depending on the length of the chapter, that can take me anywhere from 30 to 45 mins. The comprehension and vocabulary worksheets take my son about 15 mins. a day. He takes another 20 mins. to work on an essay. (Essay writing does not come easy to him.)

how much time to complete it? I'm following their 180 day plan. I've seen others talk about taking more time for the Unit Studies but I have no plans to do that. I just want to finish this program for 9th grade and start 10th grade English in 10th grade.

what do you like / not like? So far, I'm in the minority. I have to admit I'm not happy with this program so far. We love reading the story but we aren't getting much out of the rest of the program. There are questions in the guides that facilitate discussion which are okay. The literary terms are thrown out so fast that I'm not even sure if my son remembers them. I don't feel it's an English program. I feel it's a book guide and I'm worried that much more should be used in a high school level course. But this is what we have and this is what it is.

thanks!

There are some other sites, but they offer the same type of things in the Literary Lessons. I'm not disciplined enough to go through, pick out the good bits, and create a program. I chose the Literary Lessons because I needed something laid out and open & go.

And where did you get it? I can just imagine dh and ds rolling eyes. ;)

I don't remember; it was at least 5 years ago, maybe even 10. I did find one very similar to it on Amazon. I think mine has more detail, but maybe it is just the photo. It has the same colors though. We have it in a black frame against a wall the same color gold as the poster.

http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Giant-Poster-Middle/dp/B0016DDXJU/ref=pd_sim_k_17

I don't remember; it was at least 5 years ago, maybe even 10. I did find one very similar to it on Amazon. I think mine has more detail, but maybe it is just the photo. It has the same colors though. We have it in a black frame against a wall the same color gold as the poster.

http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Giant-Poster-Middle/dp/B0016DDXJU/ref=pd_sim_k_17

Hmmm. I started googling framed map middle earth and found a nice tapestry:

http://www.lotrfanshop.com/lotrshop/maps/mapofmiddle-earthtapestrywallh.asp?ReturnPage=/lotrshop/maps.asp

*looks around to figure out where I can hang it.*