Menu

Colorado Trip With Kids in September - What should we do?

I have three boys who are almost 3, 6, and 8. We have almost two weeks to enjoy Colorado (and maybe a surrounding state or two?)

We might have a pop up trailer by that time, or we will spend at least half the time tent camping. Praying for that pop up trailer!:D

The kids have asked to go to The Great Sand Dunes again (we went earlirer this year) and we will be going to Colorado Springs. We have not gone to Northern Colorado with the kids before, so I am mostly looking for things to do there.

We will be driving from Oklahoma, so any ideas along I-40 or in Northern New Mexico are also greatly helpful!

Thanks!

I have three boys who are almost 3, 6, and 8. We have almost two weeks to enjoy Colorado (and maybe a surrounding state or two?)

We might have a pop up trailer by that time, or we will spend at least half the time tent camping. Praying for that pop up trailer!:D

The kids have asked to go to The Great Sand Dunes again (we went earlirer this year) and we will be going to Colorado Springs. We have not gone to Northern Colorado with the kids before, so I am mostly looking for things to do there.

We will be driving from Oklahoma, so any ideas along I-40 or in Northern New Mexico are also greatly helpful!

Thanks!

Are you going I-40 to I-25? Going thru Albuquerque and Santa Fe?

Here is a nice list of family things in albq.:

http://www.deliciousbaby.com/journal/2008/aug/11/new-mexico-kids-first-day-albuquerque/

This is just the first page...you can follow along as they go to Santa Fe & Taos. It makes me want to go!

Edited by unsinkable

If your family is at all interested in pueblo ruins, you should consider Mesa Verde, or maybe even Chaco Canyon if you're really adventurous (it's quite impressive, but it's waaaaay off the beaten track, and it's in northern NM rather than CO).

If your family would enjoy a train ride then you could do the Pike's Peak train and/or the Durango-Silverton.

I'll keep thinking. Do you guys enjoy hiking or backpacking?

ETA: This place is pretty cool: http://www.nps.gov/flfo/index.htm And if your kids are into dinosaurs you might consider this: http://www.rmdrc.com/

Edited by GretaLynne

We have friends in Co. Springs and went in March and again in July.

Stuff we did: dh did the air force academy and said it was neat. There is a chapel and some various places the public can go. They saw cadets practicing in gliders and parachuting.

Garden of the Gods is neat.

North Pole. Christmas themed amusement park. Reasonably priced and the rides are good for these ages. Tilt-a-whirl, ferris wheel, big dragon boat. No big coasters. There are bitty kiddy rides too. One price admission covers the rides.

Don't know when the snow starts, but we rode the lifts at Beaver Creek in July and did some hiking. Saw a fox, deer, few miscellaneous animals.

Did the Durango railroad on another trip. Boys, especially would prob like it. With younger kids, I might ride railroad one way and take the quicker bus back.

Edited by snickelfritz

Thanks!

Rocky Mountain National Park. In Sept, the aspens should be peaking, and the elk are doing their calls (I think it's called bugling; it's amazing!) There are a couple of very easy hiking trails. There is one at Bear Lake that is a flat, circular hike around a lake, reflecting a snow-capped mountain peak that is towering above. The beauty brought tears to my eyes.

There is a cheap YMCA in Estes Park if you're tired of camping.

There is a place in Golden where you can see huge fossilized dinosaur tracks. I think there is some other kind of fossil place right nearby, but memory is failing. The Buffalo Bill museum in Golden is fun.

The Durango-Silverton Train is good - be sure to check out the amount of time required. We went a few years ago (all adults), and I got really tired and bored being on the train for so much time. You might consider the option of the train 1 way and bus the other way. http://www.durangotrain.com/ride-us

The Pikes Peak Cog train is very good, too.

Capulin Volcano in North New Mexico: http://www.nps.gov/cavo/index.htm

How about the mint in Denver? http://www.usmint.gov/mint_tours/?flash=yes&action=startreservation

Hope you have a great time! :auto:

Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs is wonderful! The cliff house there is pretty small and touristy, but okay for littles to enjoy. There's also a cave there that you can tour. I haven't been to the 7 waterfalls place (my youngest was a handful when we were there and every place had tons of steps, so I decided to avoid that place), but I hear it's grand, too....

You probably need to check the National Parks closing schedule as some of them close down around the second week of September (or close some areas, etc.). If you go north to the Denver area, Rocky Mountains would be terrific at that time if it's still open. Make time to picnic by a stream and just let them play (and find salamanders)....

The Silverton/Durango train line rides would be great fun for them if they like trains. There are still some places where you can pan for gold....