Menu

Kindergarten Curriculum Help

sonnie777

Ok, So I've read Cathy Duffy's book and TWTM. There has been more choices since Cathy wrote her book; furthermore, I would like more guidance. My dd is 5 and will be starting K with me(1st year to hs).

Academically she knows all letter/sounds, can write all letters, can sound out words but not write them all out yet, can count to 29, can add sums to 10 with manipulatives...

Her character is very artistic, she loves to make things in the art center, loves playing with manipulatives, likes the workbooks, loves to read...She is sooo much a teacher pleaser, even with me; therefore, she wants to get everything just right;).

We would love to find a curriculum with Christian views too, if not, we can suppliment with funshine express Christian activities. Please advise:confused:

I took most of the curriculum from Hubbard's Cupboard (using the 3's program for a K4) and am doing some FIAR (Five in a Row) with my 4 year old. Its very Christian based, and she has a 4-6 year old year based on Character that might work for you.

HTH - remember to relax and have fun. (I'm only planning K4 to have fun stuff to keep DS occupied and because he wants to be like his brothers.) It sounds like you already have some good ideas.

Amy

I have a K-er this year. Mine is reading simple words (but we started in February). You almost could just come up with your own curriculum for K. Or piece together stuff from different sources. Here's stuff that I like for K:

Handwriting: Handwriting without Tears

Math: Singapore Earlybird, Horizons

Reading: Hooked on Phonics K (I'm a big fan of HOP), CLE Learn to Read (www.clp.org), BOB Books, some people like Ordinary Parents' Guide to Teaching Reading

Extras: We do Read-Alouds from Sonlight K (we're reading The House on Pooh Corner right now), I also have some workbooks from CLE K that looked massively dorky on their website, but my K-er loves them - they have cut and paste, patterns, coloring, etc...one's called Going on Eagerly and the other is Everwhere We Go. The first one is Polar Animal-themed.

We're also doing My Father's World K and my K-er really enjoys it, but she's surpassed the reading portion of it already (probably because of CLE LTR). Anyway, she really likes the "science", the art projects and it has them do things like "Build a Nest" - stuff that I am not creative enough to come up with.

Good luck with K!

It's not to early to begin Spell to Write and Read. This would provide a very strong foundation for language arts in general. Similarly, you might choose to begin a formal math curriculum such as Singapore or MUS depending on your daughter's learning style. Other than that, I would suggest a lot of read alouds. AmblesideOnline has some excellent suggestions.

Keep it simple; have fun; *and* nurture her desire to learn. There is no need to push hard. Just keep pace with her ability and interest.

Ok, So I've read Cathy Duffy's book and TWTM. There has been more choices since Cathy wrote her book; furthermore, I would like more guidance. My dd is 5 and will be starting K with me(1st year to hs).

Academically she knows all letter/sounds, can write all letters, can sound out words but not write them all out yet, can count to 29, can add sums to 10 with manipulatives...

Her character is very artistic, she loves to make things in the art center, loves playing with manipulatives, likes the workbooks, loves to read...She is sooo much a teacher pleaser, even with me; therefore, she wants to get everything just right;).

We would love to find a curriculum with Christian views too, if not, we can suppliment with funshine express Christian activities. Please advise:confused:

I am not Christian so I can't help you there, but from the secular textbooks, how about Singapore Math Earlybird Kindergarten books along with the suggested manipulatives and Artisitic Pursuits for art (in fact, I would base a kindergarten year around art if your child is so artistic; Artistic Pursuits blends both art techniques with art history). If you are inclined to teach reading, you could use the Modern Curriculum Press' Plaid Phonics A workbook. For a suggested reading list, www.amblesideonline.org has a great reading list for "Level 0", which is the equivalent of nursery school and kindergarten levels. If you can teach your child about the flora and fauna in your area, that is a great science education right there. Your local bookstores will usually have a local interest section in which you can buy field guides for your area--maybe even some specifically for children.

Here is what we are doing and like for K5

Phonics/Reading - Discovering Intensive Phonics - secular

Handwriting: Handwriting without tears

Math - Bob Jones Math - adds in Christian ideas with stories in the book

History - Story of the World - has some Christian things but not as much as Mystery of History (though we found MOH too hard at that age....will use it when they are older)

Science - Apologia Astronomy- Christian view - has Young Earth ideas

Bible - Awana - We do this at church and it's great for memorizing Bible passages

Classical Conversation - Great Christian group where we learn memory work, do science projects, fine arts projects, and kids give presentations weekly.

My son has an older brother who he does History and Science with. All others he does just with me.

Good luck picking what works for you!