Menu

People who "know" NYC-what do the museums mean: "by donation"?

Museum of Nat Hist I think says this and I'm pretty sure Met Mus of Art. Does that mean there is a bucket that you put money in as you come in (like a museum does near here) or you go to the window and hand them how much money you want, OR is the "suggested donation" another way of saying that's what you are required to pay? In other words, how firm are they about the "donation"?

I'm asking because we hope to see both of these museums but it would be financially difficult to pay the full price they want for both, especially since we just want to see certain tiny bits of both in one day. We'd be happy to give a donation but paying full price for four people in two museums in one day would break us! (We would choose to do something else instead.) Thanks!

No, it's not just a "put the money in a bucket" kind of thing, and most people seem to pay the "suggested donation," but if you can't afford it, don't do that. Give them what you can afford to pay, and that's that -- it's not like you're ever going to see the admission person again.

I have to be honest with you, though -- it will be extremely difficult to do both the Met and the Museum of Natural History in the same day. There's a LOT to see in both places, and unless you have specific exhibits you want to see, you will definitely run out of time before you finish. I don't know how old your kids are, but unless they are teenagers, they would probably much prefer the Museum of Natural History to the Met, because it's more fun. The Met is great, but can get pretty boring for many kids. My ds likes both museums, but given the choice, would rather go to the Museum of Natural History.

Have you thought about the Central Park Zoo as an alternative to one of the museums? You could do one museum and the zoo in the same day. It would be busy, but do-able.

Cat

Edited by Catwoman

I've done it at the Metropolitan Museum of Art (we have membership at Museum of Natural History).

We were 2 adults and 2 kids and the total was X dollars. I handed in I think $20. They said is that how much you want to pay. I said yes. They handed me my tickets.

Don't be intimidated by them.

If you can't pay the suggested donation it is no big deal to tell the person selling tickets-1 adult, 2 children, here is x amount of $$.

I have never been pressured to pay the suggested amount. I have done it when I have had the money but there have also been times when I have paid $5 for all of us to go into the museum.

HAving lived in nyc for 40 years (well, 39 as we just moved to florida last year) I can safely say that for as long as I've brought my kids there, I've paid $1 every time I go. We did go once a week or so, so it wouldn't have been feasible to pay the entry fee every time. That said, they never gave me ANY hassle at all. So just pay what you want. That's why it's suggested.

Thank you, this is exactly what I needed to know. Yes, we do have specific exhibits we want to see in each, narrowed down on purpose so we can see a little in each place w/out getting overwhelmed; thus my question--we didn't want to have to pay full out both places to just look at a few things! Dc are 10 and 7; I'm sure we'll go back some other time since we're only 3 hours away. Thank you!

Many museums are like that. The "suggested donation" is listed and most people do pay it. But if it's financial hardship, you can give any amount. I haven't done it recently but back when DH was in grad school I used to explain our situation and give some token amount. Nobody ever said boo about it.

Many NYC museums receive substantial public funding and thus have "suggested" admission fees, at least to their permanent collections. Some special exhibits may have required admission fees. Here is a link from the NYC Department of Cultural Affairs, through which the money flows.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcla/downloads/pdf/Venues_with_Free_or_Suggested_Admission.pdf

Edited by Alessandra