Menu

My bedroom needs your help!!!!

I would really like my bedroom to be more of a sactuary!!!! Okay, REALLY, REALLY want it to!!!! So here's the scoop...I have great dark wood furniture (traditional sleigh bed), black curtains with cream sheers, olive walls, my bedding is either adobe rose color during the summer and a black and beige damask in winter. It feels so sterile!!! Everything works, but I just don't spend a lot of time there, and I would really like to spend more. It's not a huge room, but it is a master suite.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...I know my weakness is in the details!!! I can stage a home like nobodies business...but createing a room I want to spend a lot of time in, and feel rested in, is proving difficult!

My style is somewhat of an artsy, traditional, cottage mix...

Okay have at it!!!! :)

What do you want to spend time doing in there? (The PG version please!. . .) If you want a place to read, then you need to put a nice comfy chair in there, a good reading lamp and a small bookshelf or magazine holder. If you want a place to pray, then again a chair might be good or whatever else might be conducive to that activity for you. . .

I need a picture. Can you do one of those, by chance? That would help me a lot. I'm thinking that the black may be too strong with the olive and rose and that a more chocolate brown might work better, but I'd have to see it to be sure of what I'm saying....

I am with Regena. We need a photo, please. What you are describing sounds both traditional and formal, yet you said you like artsy and cottage-style as well. A sanctuary. Meditation and/or prayer? Do you need quiet colors to feel soothed or do you need fresh colors to fell connected? Do you share the room with a significant other that has their own idea of style? Books and/or clutter or things not in use stored out of sight? Pictures of family and friends or a more neutral space to empty your mind?

What do you love? That's what you put in there. Things that delight you every time you look at them.

Make a collage of stuff you love. See if there's a theme.

I like teeny details. So I have the big stuff, the camel walls, the crown molding, voile sheers and decorator swags, the en suite, but then there's the magpie side of me. I love collages-standing back as a whole then coming up real close to see the smallest details. My room is not 'functional', it's not a spa, it's not a magazine layout-it is the heart of me. Find the heart of you and surround yourself with it (and make sure your husband's cool with it).

http://anahataart.com/ ( I don't particularly love her paper products, but I adore her personal art)

http://www.stampington.com/html/somerset_life.html you can find this mag at ac moore, just hop online to download a 50% off coupon before you buy it.

http://posy.typepad.com/posy/corners_of_my_home/ Posy is in England and has a white background as her canvas. I don't like white walls, I have huge bold color, but she's another magpie who gathers what she loves to make herself happy

Just some ideas.

Edited by justamouse

To me santuary translate as peaceful retreat. A monochromatic color scheme contributes to a peaceful relaxing feel especially if it is in neutral or cool colors. Adjacent colors on the color wheel will also work while adding a bit more interest. I'll give you some examples:

The furniture in my bedroom is a medium cherry. I have an gold upholstered headboard. The color scheme comes directly from my bed set. My comforter is a very heavy, gold, tapestry fabric with shades of light rose, mauve and green. The walls will be a color called rose suede. The drapes will be a shade of gold that matches the headboard and I will have irridesant gold sheers. The bed is very large and fluffy with lots of pillows and there are few hard edged items in the room. A wall of books add interest.

My 18 year old has a very traditional roses print on beige background. It also has shades of greens and plum in it but it is made of a cotton fabric and has an old fashioned look and feel. It can be matched with solid color curtains, skirt and shams or with a plaid with the same colors. She also has cherry would but her room has a different less luxurious feel to it.

My 17 year old has a very Zen looking room. Her main colors are black and white with purple as an accent color. Because the colors are so sparse she creates interest with textures, unique items and lots of candles. At first, I thought it would look to contemporary for my taste and I woulnd't like is at all but it actually is very restful and relaxing.

It sounds to me like you have too many different colors and no one item that ties them all together. Olive is a more formal color that I would use in the living room especially with dark wood. It seem that you need to soften things up a bit. You can do this with colors, fabrics, lighting or even a spcific theme. Picture would help with giving more exact advise.

I would post a pic...if I wasn't so embarressed by the clothes! :) That's what it has become...I place to change!

Olive probly wasn't the best descriptive color...as it is really faint and it is offset with white crown moulding.

PG version is that I want to be able to escape there!!!! Read, go over curriculum, watch a show with dh. I actually like the way it is...except I don't spend a lot of time there.

Now that I'm thinkinh about it feels very dark with the black curtains, but I don't want to be exposed either. Ugggghhhh....

tuscan-master-bedroom-decorating-ideas-1.1-120X120.jpg This comes close to what it's like.

Errrgh...I can't get what I like to post!

Edited by simka2

I would post a pic...if I wasn't so embarressed by the clothes! :) That's what it has become...I place to change!

Olive probly wasn't the best descriptive color...as it is really faint and it is offset with white crown moulding.

PG version is that I want to be able to escape there!!!! Read, go over curriculum, watch a show with dh. I actually like the way it is...except I don't spend a lot of time there.

Now that I'm thinkinh about it feels very dark with the black curtains, but I don't want to be exposed either. Ugggghhhh....

tuscan-master-bedroom-decorating-ideas-1.1-120X120.jpg This comes close to what it's like.

Errrgh...I can't get what I like to post!

I, personally, do not like that rose color with the wall color At All. I think more browns/lattes/cremes would be a better choice. VERY pretty, but rose and olive somehow clash.

The room looks lovely, but dark. To me, a sanctuary feeling is better achieved by an even more sterile look. When I think sanctuary, I picture simple, Swedish type of a look. And I don't mean the furniture - any furniture can work with that look. I would pick a very neutral basic color scheme and stick to it throughout the room, with the exception of a few simple accents like colored candles, a painting, maybe a few decorative pillows, etc.. I think going with either cream or white everything would be really peaceful. You can create interest by going with different textures of either color and it will still be very restful. You can get privacy without using heavy drapes by installing blinds. You can find great prices on Hunter Douglas and others online, and you can pair them with some nice flowing fabric panels. The look will be much lighter and more inviting during the day. Just some thoughts. :)

Oh - an easy way to see if you might like this look is to purchase a sheet set, either ivory or white, and put the fitted sheet on the bed and then hold up the flat sheet over by the windows to see how it might all look.

It sounds like it's more sage than olive. I think all of your wall colors could work very nicely with bright white on the bed and windows. Think Caribbean plantation look. : )

Edited by Teachin'Mine