Menu

Silly green smoothie questions

Ok, I've been reading all the threads about green smoothies, and they sound good. I'd like to try one. And I don't really know where to start.

How do I know what will go well together? Do you just pick fruits based on common combo's like strawberry bannana, or blueberry, strawberry, and raspberry? What exactly are greens? Salad type stuff - spinach and lettuce? Or do I need to buy the more exotic greens? How many greens and how much fruit for a morning drink? (and think small - I'm easing into this. Maybe 8-12 oz). Do I add liquid, and if so, what kind? Can I use canned and frozen fruit or must I use fresh?

Give me the Green Smoothies for Idiots Guide, please!

Here's my normal recipe. This will make a full blender (6 cups) of smoothie so reduce quantities accordingly.

1 cup milk

fill the blender about 3/4 up with fresh spinach. Don't pack it down.

1/2 zucchini

handful of baby carrots

Blend well. Add water as needed. It will be the most awful greenish gray color you've ever seen!

Add frozen fruit of your choice. I usually use berries.

That changes the color to a pretty red.

Add water as you blend to get the consistency you want.

Add a little stevia if you need it sweeter.

Sometimes I will substitute yogurt for the milk or add some protein powder.

If you decide to use fruit that doesn't color the smoothie (like peaches or pineapple) and can't handle the icky color, add a small amount of fresh beet - maybe 1/8 of a fresh beet. Your smoothie will be a brilliant red color!

If I have leftover smoothie, I pour the remainder into Popsicle forms and freeze. The kids have a healthy afternoon snack!

My favorite smoothie isn't really green, it's purple. I use frozen blueberries, one whole banana, a couple handfuls of spinach (usually around 1 cup) and a small amount of soy milk to blend. The kids love it in the morning, and since it is purple because of the berries they drink it up.

I always add a banana to sweeten and thicken the smoothie, and then I just use other fruits-- usually an orange, or apple, or berries, sometimes a carrot. I put in a big handful of spinach or kale (both are mild and I don't taste them). Another thing I add is 1 TBS of flax seeds. I usually add water and some ice.

The other thing I have done, especially if I have a failed smoothie experiment, is that I add some fresh ginger to mask the funkiness.

We've been drinking the same smoothie for a couple of years now and all of my kids like it. I don't really measure, but I add in a couple of cups of vanilla soy milk (it's sweeter than cow's milk and really adds to the flavour), a ton of spinach (basically I fill the blender but don't pack it down), a couple handfulls of frozen fruit (blueberries work great and the fact that they're frozen gives the smoothie kind of a cold milkshake texture), and then a banana. The banana is essential because it masks the spinach taste. I'll often throw a few ice cubes in as well, just to make it colder and thicker.

Depending on what I have in my freezer, I'll also add other kinds of frozen fruit.

Our easy recipe serves two (you could save the rest for a snack for later.)

1 cup blueberries (fresh in summer, frozen the rest of the year)

1-2 bananas (depending on size)

a squirt of agave nectar (can do without if bananas are sweet enough for you)

stuff blender to top with greens (we like kale) and add as much water or ice as you need to reach the consistency you like.

Delish!

I think spinach is the most mild of all the greens so I would start with that. Costco sells organic baby spinach for the price of regular spinach at the grocery store.

I use 1/2 cup base, (milk, soy milk, rice milk or coconut milk), 1/2 cup water and 3 handfuls of baby spinach and blend. Add frozen fruit and stevia to sweeten. Blend again and enjoy. If your fruit is not frozen you will want to add some ice cubes. Makes one adult or two children size servings.

Some great combinations are strawberries and banana, mango and coconut milk, pineapple and coconut milk, chocolate and strawberries, and blueberries and raspberries.

Enjoy!

Edited by Ferdie

Thanks everyone! I just made up something this morning (although it was remarkable similar to one posted) and it was delicious. I was worried that the green flavor would be too strong or add a funky undertaste, but I didn't even notice it. I threw in a cup of spinach, a cup of blueberries, half a banana, and a couple tablespoons of water and blended.

I'm going to have to try these other ideas. Coconut milk, hmmmm? I do love me some coconut.:D

Is it ok to use canned fruit? I was thinking things like pineapple that we rarely have around fresh and can't find frozen.

Thanks everyone! I just made up something this morning (although it was remarkable similar to one posted) and it was delicious. I was worried that the green flavor would be too strong or add a funky undertaste, but I didn't even notice it. I threw in a cup of spinach, a cup of blueberries, half a banana, and a couple tablespoons of water and blended.

I'm going to have to try these other ideas. Coconut milk, hmmmm? I do love me some coconut.:D

Is it ok to use canned fruit? I was thinking things like pineapple that we rarely have around fresh and can't find frozen.

I use canned crushed pineapple and it tastes great.

My favorite smoothie isn't really green, it's purple. I use frozen blueberries, one whole banana, a couple handfuls of spinach (usually around 1 cup) and a small amount of soy milk to blend. The kids love it in the morning, and since it is purple because of the berries they drink it up.

I do everything the same, except I use almond milk instead of soy. Delicious either way. :001_smile:

I love a green smoothie, but I can NOT put milk in it. :tongue_smilie: Something about the thought of that just gets me all funky inside.

Here's the guide from Vitamix (which for whatever reason does not have the greens, but you can add 1 cup or just a big handful - i like kale myself):

"Mix 'N Match" Smoothie

FRUITS (select two or three)

peeled orange

banana

strawberries (fresh or frozen)

blueberries (fresh or frozen)

blackberries (fresh or frozen)

raspberries (fresh or frozen)

cubed cantaloupe

kiwi fruit

pineapple

sliced mango

cubed papaya

peach

nectarine

JUICE 4 oz. / 120 ml

orange

grapefruit

pineapple

cranberry

guava

prune

tomato

carrot

kiwi-strawberry

FROZEN TREATS

Fruit sorbet (strawberry, peach, mango, lime ...)

Fat-free frozen yogurt 4 oz. / 120 ml or more to taste

4 oz. / 120 ml or more to taste

PROTEIN SUPPLEMENTS (optional; select one):

nonfat, plain yogurt 6 oz. / 180 ml

soy milk

milk 6 oz. / 180 ml

FLAVORINGS, FIBER, EXTRAS (optional; select up to two):

cocoa powder 1 teaspoon

ground flaxseed 1 tablespoon

ground nuts, such as almonds or walnuts 2 tablespoon

wheat or oat bran 1 to 2 tablespoon

grated rind from an orange, lemon or lime 1/2 teaspoon

vanilla, cinnamon or nutmeg Dash

fresh ginger, peeled 1 inch piece

Throw your chosen ingredients into a Vita-Mix® blender along with 4 oz. / 120 ml of ice, and have a blast! Put frozen ingredients in first. Next add liquid ingredients. If fiber is included in the smoothie add more liquid, as these will thicken your drink. Fasten lid and blend until smooth.

Edited by meet me in paris