Menu

What age for....

mo2

We started basic typing summer after third grade, continued sporadically during fourth grade, and had her practice regularly the summer after fourth grade. Once we get the rest of this year rolling, it's going to be required until she reaches a level of proficiency, because she's *got* to - she's taking her first online course.

Piano lessons... ideally, I'd like to start my younger two around second grade. My oldest didn't get started until fourth grade but it has still worked out decently.

I think a good age to start piano lessons is around 5-6 years old. Reading music is still very natural at this age, and it is not too early for the physical coordination. I might be persuaded to start a 4yo, and I might reccommend a particular child to wait until 7yo, but 5-6 has been a good standard IME.

If you are having your child take lessons from a teacher you may need to see if they have a minimum starting age. The teacher for our boys starts at 8 but he took my middle son at 7 since he knew him well. Some teachers are willing to start at 4 or 5. If you are doing it yourself then I see you have some great suggestions already.

My DS5 is starting Mavis Beacon this year. He is also starting group piano lessons (part of an enrichment program he is attending.) We have a very good friend of the family who teaches private piano lessons (for 40+ years). She will not take any child under the age of 7. Here reasoning - they are too squirmy. :D She said the progress she can make with an 8 year old in three months is equivalent to teaching a 6 year old for two years.

We did typing in fourth grade. It went pretty well but I wouldn't say it was totally mastered or retained. We'll probably go over it again this year for fifth. We've never done music lessons but if you call around and ask the studios/teachers, they could probably tell you a good starting age.

We're starting piano lessons with our 1st grader (6yo) this year. Our next door neighbor is a retired music/piano teacher and offers lessons to homeschoolers. She won't take them any younger than 6, though.

I started typing lessons with our youngest when he was 5. I used BBC's Dancing Mat typing and he's now doing very well. I started our daughter her first year home (3rd grade).

DD5 started piano at 4yo, but she has good fine motor skills and a particular aptitude for and interest in music. For typing, I would think you could start as soon as a child is reading. If you have a very young child that is reading, you can purchase a child-sized keyboard.