Menu

If you do SL, how long does it take

Nakia

to do all your core reading for each day? I'm including bible, read-alouds, readers (even if your child reads these independently), history reading, and comprehension questions. We are using SL core 3, if it matters. Today was our second day of school, and it seems like it's taking us a really long time to do just our core. My oldest is doing the advanced readers independently, but I am reading the regular readers with my 2nd grader because they are still too advanced for her. I know we are just starting, and this is our first ever year using SL, so I'm not worried, just curious. The girls already love the books and all the reading and snuggling we are doing, so I know it will be great for us.

Thanks!

It's hard for me to give you a time b/c my day has so many variables in it. On a day when things go smoothly, we generally start at 8:30 and done by 2:00. That is everything from Bible, LA, Math, Latin, History and Science. Some days are longer due to piano lessons or a toddler that is into everything, ect.

All the Sonlight cores are front-loaded... the first few weeks are heavy heavy, and they plan it that way on purpose. Don't get discouraged! It will lighten up.

We don't do the Bible section and we do our read-alouds at night or on audiobook in the car (we like short school days around here, LOL). So for history, readers, geography, etc. it's less than 2 hours for sure. A lot will depend on the kids and how fast they read. Your younger one may take a while before she gets fast with the readers, and some of them you may have to replace with easier reads, but there are also some good quick readers that will really build her confidence.

Walk the World's Rim is a real "wader" at the beginning... don't give up. It gets much better, and we have recognized references to the characters in that book in all sorts of places.

Also, don't feel obligated to ask them every question in the IG. Use it as a jumping off point for discussion. Every now and again I typed up questions on the Readers for my older one just because I needed some written work to turn in... but if it's bogging you down, ditch it and just talk about the books.

It's hard for me to give you a time b/c my day has so many variables in it. On a day when things go smoothly, we generally start at 8:30 and done by 2:00. That is everything from Bible, LA, Math, Latin, History and Science. Some days are longer due to piano lessons or a toddler that is into everything, ect.

Thank you! 8:30-2:00 sounds like a reasonable day for us. We are adding in our math, grammar, spelling, etc next week.

All the Sonlight cores are front-loaded... the first few weeks are heavy heavy, and they plan it that way on purpose. Don't get discouraged! It will lighten up.

We don't do the Bible section and we do our read-alouds at night or on audiobook in the car (we like short school days around here, LOL). So for history, readers, geography, etc. it's less than 2 hours for sure. A lot will depend on the kids and how fast they read. Your younger one may take a while before she gets fast with the readers, and some of them you may have to replace with easier reads, but there are also some good quick readers that will really build her confidence.

Walk the World's Rim is a real "wader" at the beginning... don't give up. It gets much better, and we have recognized references to the characters in that book in all sorts of places.

Also, don't feel obligated to ask them every question in the IG. Use it as a jumping off point for discussion. Every now and again I typed up questions on the Readers for my older one just because I needed some written work to turn in... but if it's bogging you down, ditch it and just talk about the books.

Okay great, that really helps. My younger already really loves "A Lion to Guard Us" so we are going to stick with that, and then we will see if she loses interest in the other regular readers. I do have a great list that someone here sent me with easy readers for early American history, so I can pull that out, if need be. Yeah, I can tell "Walk the World's Rim" is a little hard to get into, but they aren't complaining....yet, lol. Thanks again!!

We just finished core 3. I spent about an hour a day reading to the kids and we used everything except the LA. While we did use SL 3 Science, I did not use the worksheets. When we were doing the TOPS experiments, that added some time to our day as well, but that's only 8 weeks out of the year.

Then the kids spent another 30 minutes reading each day on their own, but we quickly ran out of the SL readers that way. I think if you have them read the readers according to the schedule, they will take less than 30 minutes a day to read them, but that really depends on the kid and their reading level. I don't do all the comprehension questions every day. Honestly, I've learned to just ask enough to make sure my kids know they better be paying attention.

Lisa

ETA: Our library had Johnny Tremain available on audiobook at the library, so I used that to lighten my load a little. That was a long book and it was nice to just listen to it in the car. I usually forget that I can use audiobooks for a few of the SL read-alouds to give myself a break. I think I'm going to look up the SL 4 ones right now while I'm thinking about it and see if my library has any of them.

Edited by LisaTheresa

Just a funny to share... We are doing SL 4 this year, and I read aloud for so long, my mouth actually went numb! Honestly, reading aloud readers, read aloud, and Bible can take up to an hour.

That's funny! I haven't had that happen, but some days I get a little antsy if I have a lot of other things I feel I need to do. One of the reason I am looking to Cores 6 and 7 is that I have all the SOTW audiobooks and I plan to have Jim Weiss read those chapters instead of me.

Lisa

I typically plan on 90 min, but we don't do bible. We do 30 min of read aloud, 30 min for history (aloud) and the kids read for 30 min to get their readers done. Last year ds did Core 100 and had to read 45 min/day but he still sat in on the read alouds with dd :001_smile:.

I typically plan on 90 min, but we don't do bible. We do 30 min of read aloud, 30 min for history (aloud) and the kids read for 30 min to get their readers done. Last year ds did Core 100 and had to read 45 min/day but he still sat in on the read alouds with dd :001_smile:.

Are you saying Core 100 took your son 45 minutes a day for all the history and lit readings? Just curious. I had considered using Core 100 but I thought it would take forever and a day to get through all the readings although I do know that some of the Core 100 books are on the lighter side.

Are you saying Core 100 took your son 45 minutes a day for all the history and lit readings? Just curious. I had considered using Core 100 but I thought it would take forever and a day to get through all the readings although I do know that some of the Core 100 books are on the lighter side.

Yes, I would love to hear the answer to this too! I was kind of shocked to think core 100 would actually take us 1/2 the time core 3 took us. But, frankly, I'd be thrilled if it were true.

Lisa

If your husband enjoys reading to the children, have him do your read-alouds at night ... or whenever is a good time for him and the kids.

It will free up 30 to 60 minutes of your time, and he would enjoy the special time with his children. :) There are a LOT of dads that get hooked on the Sonlight read-alouds.

If your husband enjoys reading to the children, have him do your read-alouds at night ... or whenever is a good time for him and the kids.

It will free up 30 to 60 minutes of your time, and he would enjoy the special time with his children. :) There are a LOT of dads that get hooked on the Sonlight read-alouds.

:iagree: This is my husband's one piece of the homeschooling. He does the literature readalouds before bed every night. This has been a nice arrangement for all of us, though I have to prompt him to keep up with the heavy reading sometimes. He got behind last year and never recovered - he and I both spent the summer reading two readalouds each, and we skipped one entirely. Doing the rest of the readalouds (Bible -we don't use SL's, history and readers) probably takes about an hour a day. I don't typically use the discussion questions provided by SL - we discuss as we go. I may use these more in the future to stimulate discussion as needed.

My husband, unfortunately, does not enjoy reading at all. And it shows when he does read to our kids. He doesn't have a good reading voice, so the girls don't like it when he read either. :(

My husband, unfortunately, does not enjoy reading at all. And it shows when he does read to our kids. He doesn't have a good reading voice, so the girls don't like it when he read either. :(

In that case, you might do it yourself before bedtime or as an after dinner family activity. This would at least break up the reading time for you. I do find that I tire of reading sometimes, but mostly, we all love it. We cuddle up on the couch, and I know we are making some sweet memories. I will be sad when they reach the age at which they dont' want me to read aloud to them, though I think that will be a few years in the future still.

We read the History of US books aloud, dd was doing core 3+4 and we used that for a spine for both of them. That year I did her RA for 30 min, History of US (usually about 30 min) aloud, then he did all the other reading (history & LA) in about 45 min/day and she did all the readers in about 30.