Menu

How do you evaluate the quality of a high school?

I am considering all options for my future high schooler -public/private/ or homeschool.

There are so many factors in this decision. Right now I am evaluating the two school options. We are zoned for a large public high school that supposedly is very good academically. We are also looking at a smaller Catholic school that has an excellent reputation as well. How can I compare the two schools? ACT scores/ college scholarships won/ AP courses offered and scores achieved on those?

It seems like comparing apples and oranges. On one hand I have a large public high school with a very diverse socioeconomic demographic. On the other hand I have an $8000 per year private school. Of course there is going to be a discrepancy in academic achievement. How do I figure out who is offering the best academic product?

There are lots of other variables that make for a positive high school experience but if I am just looking at the academic scene right now, how do I measure that?

I would definitely look at test scores. I would also look at the top schools kids are getting into.

Yes, you have the diverse population at the public school, so look at what top colleges the students get into. Around here (Central NC) if there were a lot of kids getting into Duke, UNC-Chapel Hill, that would tell me it's a good school academically. If a lot of the students were getting into less competitive colleges, that would tell me it may be a good school but not a great one.

But you have to look at other things too. The public local to us is a good academic school but it has a reputation for drugs. It's one reason my kids will not go to the local public high school. I'll pay the money for the private school. (I do know that's not insurance. But I also know there are standards of conduct there.)

I would also check on support availability. How are the guidance counselor's? If the dc needs tutoring, how available is it? Are the extra-curriculars available that your child would be interested in. Socio-economic diversity is v. v.v. important but, academic/teaching competence trumps all.

I think test comparing test scores for a private school vs. public school can be a little misleading. I know some private schools require testing to get in and will only take students who score about a certain standard on the entrance test. If they only take the brighter students to begin with, I would hope their scores would be much higher than the public schools. Those are averages and are helpful information, but not really an indicator of where your student will thrive.

I would look more specifically at the things that will impact his personal school experience and, if your student is college-bound, the things that will make him more attractive to colleges. This would include things like extra-curriculars he is interested in, number of honors and AP classes available that he would take, availability of counselors to help in securing college entrance and financial aid/scholarships, safety (including drugs), school environment, general attitude and 'cultural priorities' of the school*, etc. Would a free-er, larger public school fit his style more or would a smaller, more uniform private school be a better fit for his personality? Where does he want to go; not that it is the deciding factor, but if a child absolutely *hates* a certain school setting, it can make for a miserable year? Is the investment in private school something that will cause your family to cut back on other things or could you do public school then use the private school money to do some fabulous enrichment/educational vacations or activities that would give him some real world experience?

*I didn't have a good way to describe this but to give a couple of examples: when my step-DD entered high school, the pricipal said that we should "drop them at the door and let the school take care of them, the were in high school now so they didn't need the parents input" - not the type of attitude that sat very well with me. The next school district over is *very* affluent, with very highly rated public schools and high test scores. I would not want my children in that school, inspite of the academic acheivements, because of the large emphasis on materialism and keeping up with the Joneses. The private school that my kids went to placed an emphasis on developing authentic Christian leaders and filtering all learning through a Biblical worldview - something that is important to us.

I have done it all, had kids in public school, private school and homeschool, so I don't think one is neccessarily always the right answer. Good luck with your decision. HTH!

I would check out courses available, requirements and syllabi first, and after that WHO teaches what, what are their qualifications and where obtained, as well as their professional focus and literature they adhere to.

Standardized test scores can be very misleading, but I would check out which universities the graduates get into. I would also check if the school has sponsors and who are they, as well as who they cooperate with (scientists, projects students are involved in, etc.) and whether they have students in national and international competitions and projects, especially in areas of interest of my children (e.g. if the child is interested in mathematics, has somebody ever from that school been on an international olympiad, can a child with potential get guidance needed for that level, can school connect the child with other people from the fields the child is interested in, etc.).

Checking out the socioeconomic structure doesn't hurt as well, to get a basic idea of the likely educational and cultural background of the children, diversity, etc. But mostly, check out the quality of the academic program, people who teach it, the school's allegiances and connections, cooperation on various projects.

$8000 does not guarantee a better education. I paid $24,000 for a private school and it was not significantly better than our top rated public school. There are kids who graduate from innercity schools and go to ivy league schools.

Oh yes, I totally agree about this! If it guaranteed a better education I'd have an easier decision. I'm not really looking to spend all that money if I can get an equivalent or superior education for next to nothing. I'm just trying to figure out how to measure the quality of the education.

Thanks for all the opinions. I'll take everyone's opinions on this one. This decision seems so monumental...it is really weighing on me.

Our school district has many statistics that we can look up online. For example:

#students taking SAT and mean score

#students taking ACT and mean score

graduation rate

% students pursuing continuing education after high school

#suspensions

dropout rate

and more

http://www.pcsb.org/Schools/dashboard1.html

I've been able to email the state's virtual school and get statistics as to the % who take AP classes who take the AP test and the % who get 3-4-5.

Interesting numbers....

$8000 sounds cheap for a private high school. Around here, it's $15,000.

I visited, observed & interviewed the 3 private schools in our area before choosing one for ds. This particular school I chose is popular for our local homeschooling community since it didn't have a middle school which funneled students. Students came from all over the community and relationships were fresh.

Ask for lit lists, curriculum lists, student expectations. I was impressed with the rigorous math program (PH). Ds was able to take Spanish 2 and Geometry as a 9th grader. They took my word as to what he was capable of - since they trusted my opinion as his homeschool teacher for middle school.

We also like the fact that it has a wonderful youth worship team for ds to sing/ play guitar on Friday mornings at chapel, a football team for ds, student leadership opportunities as well as committed, godly teachers & staff.

So much goes into the decision that will be unique to you and what you want for your student.

Portland Christian High School had higher tests scores but the student body lacked the vision & passion for Christ that we were hoping for.

God spoke to us through the interview process. We prayed a lot. It was a fantastic year all around.

What we did was to:

- talk to people who have a similar attitude to education to ours to get a clue about the local schools

- find out what their results were, not just what was offered

- check what universities pupils went to and in what numbers

- try to see what the school valued: hard workers? Sporty children? Musical children?

- hang out around the schools to observe the students as they came and went

- go on formal tours of the schools and talk to the students then

- talk extensively to those in charge of the academic and pastoral care of the pupils

- arrange for taster days at our preferred school

- listen to what Calvin said about it

Best of luck

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin