Menu

Envelope Budgeting - Anyone Make Their Own Wallet?

I'm interested in the envelope budgeting system.

My husband and I jumped a couple of tax brackets several years back when he got a new job. We were low income and doing reasonably well. Now that he makes so much more we're just spending so much more. *sigh* Lesson learned. Wealth is not a function of level of income. Yes, I knew this. Yes, this is one of those lessons we keep relearning.

Anyhow, I want to get back to budgeting and being in control and think the envelope system might be a good fit. However, I don't want to go buy some shiny new wallet. I want to invest some time to make the effort more valuable and to get out of that buying mode.

Anyone have a pattern for one I could sew, knit, duct tape, carve, whatever?

I saw some beautiful patterns when I was searching. Yes, I am the one who indulged in the ridiculous shiny new wallet, but I was allowed, to, ok, because I used my personal spending money set aside in my personal spending envelope, ok? :lol: I would have liked to make one but knew I didnt have the patience.

Here are some:

http://bluebonnetstopeaches.wordpress.com/2010/01/21/an-envelope-system-wallet/

http://walterandveronica.blogspot.com/2010/03/envelope-system-wallet.html

http://sewing.craftgossip.com/13666/2010/02/04/

http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-oilcloth-wallet-for-a-cash-envelope-system/2010/03/17/

I saw some beautiful patterns when I was searching. Yes, I am the one who indulged in the ridiculous shiny new wallet, but I was allowed, to, ok, because I used my personal spending money set aside in my personal spending envelope, ok? :lol: I would have liked to make one but knew I didnt have the patience.

I saw that wallet! It almost had me because I'm a sucker for shiny red leather.

Definitely okay though! :) I would have slapped it on the credit card as another unplanned expense.

Plus I'm not as good as I pretend. I need something to do but have idle knitting needles, crochet hooks and a beautiful black Singer 15-91 that was given to me a few months back by my grandmother-in-law that I'm DYING to learn how to use on a nice easy project. :D

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Cindie2dds

This thread inspired me! I have DR's wallet, although, I can't read the categories because it's black on black and tiny writing. I wanted something I liked, but didn't want to spend the $40 right now, maybe later. I actually made my own this weekend from this inspiration. I put them in a basket and dh is actually excited. We are going to start back with the envelope system on the 15th of this month. EEK! Nervous and excited! While we don't have a lot of debt, we have been using our debit card and not saving anything. :glare: Going to try to get back on track again!

I don't understand the wallet thing?

We do the envelope system but the money stays at home in mailing envelopes. I take out x-amount of money when we are going shopping for groceries. X-amount of money when we need gas. I never carry around extra cash with me. I don't think I'd have the self-control for that and it would freak me out to carry around that much cash.

Guest Cindie2dds

We do the envelope system but the money stays at home in mailing envelopes. I take out x-amount of money when we are going shopping for groceries. X-amount of money when we need gas. I never carry around extra cash with me. I don't think I'd have the self-control for that and it would freak me out to carry around that much cash.

I think your way is great, which is why I put the envelopes in a basket. I used to carry a wallet with all the cash in it mostly for my comfort level. What if I wanted to buy something from the hardware store on the way home from the grocery store? However, having to plan spending trips by actually taking a particular cash envelope with me versus it just being in my wallet or my debit card would probably better help me stay on budget. :)

We love Dave Ramsey. I carry some of the envelopes with me and also consider them emergency money (I used to carry a $100 bill folded in my wallet in case of emergencies). By emergency, I mean all the power goes out in the whole city kind of emergency.

I just recently bookmarked this wallet with envelopes!

• 3 weeks later...
having actual envelopes (after 3+ years of using them). I love that with YNAB you aren't working with income you are currently bringing in that month, but income earned last month, then this months income will be used for next months budget. I was able to set up categories to match my envelope system. I'm also able to have it on my iphone and computer which sync, so I can update as I purchase things or see where I'm at in each category. It's really been more efficient and less shuffling around for me.

Yes, I can see that working...but more so if a lot of your income is in the bank? We have a lot of cash income and it just works better for me to use physical envelopes- I am using envelopes for the month AND my savvy-cents wallet for my day to day envelopes (I dont want to carry around a months work of cash).

However....I have just managed to get one month ahead so next month I will be able to live off THIS month's income. I got that idea from YNAB and I am thrilled about it. I sold off a lot of my books and curriculum to do this (and just to clean out).

I still have YNAB on my computer. Maybe one day.