Menu

Dry Erase Board

dallas12

Mine is on the wall rather than a stand, but I just had Home Depot cut a piece of shower board for me, and then I framed it out myself so that it would look a bit more attractive. I think it all came to about $25 and I have enough shower board left over that I can make another one if I ever need it. You can see it in the school room pictures at my profile if you're interested :).

SBP

Guest momk2000

Do you have to use the markers specifically made for dry erase boards? Can I just use the crayola markers we have as long as it isn't permanent marker?

Mine is on the wall rather than a stand, but I just had Home Depot cut a piece of shower board for me, and then I framed it out myself so that it would look a bit more attractive. I think it all came to about $25 and I have enough shower board left over that I can make another one if I ever need it. You can see it in the school room pictures at my profile if you're interested :).

SBP

That is such a good idea....I am going to have to copy you

This thread may be helpful...

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199184

I just picked one up at Target today. It was $16.99 and measures 22"x35" and it has a nice black frame. I wish I had somewhere to mount it on the wall but we use our dining room table for school. I think I'm going to keep it in the closet and pull it out and prop it up when it's time to use it.

I actually mounted this on my dining room wall this morning, it looks good! And it was only $16.99, AND magnetic!

SBP

Very nice!

SBP

Do you find it is as easy to write on and erase as the more expensive pre-made white boards?

Lisa

Well, I'm not sure since I've never had one of the expensive ones! I can tell you that I'm on my second Home Depot white board. I tossed out the other one when we moved our school room from one part of the house to the other and I needed a slightly smaller board, but at that point we'd been using it for about five years. I certainly felt I'd gotten my $10 worth out of it :). It might not have been as shiny and white when I threw it out as it was when it was new, but it was definitely still functional. For cleaning, I use either the Expo cleaner or a paper towel dampened with alcohol, and that seems to get any stubborn marks off.

HTH!

SBP

Get one that is magnetic, too, if you are getting a big one.

Think about a couple of small ones (lap sized) for working practice problems (math, marking verbs vs nouns, practicing letters) at the table. Some lap-sized have the lines for practicing letters (with the dots in the middle of the line) on one side. We used the small ones much more than the big one.