Menu

Need audiobook recs for my 1st grade ds (chapter books)

KIN

It has been so long since I've used audiobooks (OK, only 2 years, lol), that I can't remember any that my oldest ones listened to! Now we have a different library and I have to order them online from the main branch so I can't browse and remind myself. Please give me some great ideas of chapter books for a 1st grade boy. Thank you, thank you!

My kids liked The Lion The Witch And The Wardrobe on CD.

:iagree: The whole Narnia series is wonderful on CD and both my dc loved it! We just finished The Phantom Tollbooth and ds was cracking up laughing almost the whole book. He also likes Tales from the Odyssey, Magic Treehouse, Tale of Despireaux (sp?), and Swiss Family Robinson.

In the last few months, dd7 has enjoyed Winnie the Pooh, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (we LOVE Roald Dahl here), Charlotte's Web, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, How to Train Your Dragon, Beatrix Potter and Series of Unfortunate Events (although I cringe at much of that one). She is also listening to The Thief Lord along with her three brothers.

Waiting for us at Audible are The Railway Children, Just So Stories, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Matilda, Five Children and It, Princess and the Goblin, Half Magic, Tumtum and Nutmeg, Ella Enchanted.

You could also try Homer Price, Pecos Bill, Bunnicula and Dragon Rider. Oh - I also hear great things about The Tale of Despereaux, but it's my favorite read aloud so we won't be listening to that in audio.

Have fun!

You've gotten some great ideas! Most of what I was going to say has already been listed. But I'll say them anyway, as we just got back from two long road trips and we listen to audiobooks in the car.

In the past 4 weeks:

• Ella Enchanted
  • Peter Pan
  • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
  • The Lion, the With, and the Wardrobe
  • Ramona the Pest
  • Jim Weiss - SOTW 1 audio CD
  • Burgess Bird Book for Children chapters (free)
  • Peter Jackson and the Lightning Thief
  • When We Were Small and Now We Are Six

Probably missing a few, but that's what I remember. Our recent read-alouds are books by Avi (Ragweed currently), Matilda, James and the Giant Peach (anything Dahl). She's reading aloud Magic Treehouse to me.

Right now we are listening to The 101 Dalmatians by Dodie Smith for the 5th time. They also love many of the Boxcar Children, The Patchwork Girl, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, and I plan to put the Adventures of Tom Sawyer next, because I read about 1/2 and never finished it with them! Also, Sign of the Beaver, How to Eat Fried Worms, the Hardy Boys, Chocolate Fever, Phantom Tollbooth, and A Wrinkle in Time. Many I had also read aloud and they just love to hear them over and over and over!!!