Menu

Homeschool Tracker Plus?

I used HST+ for our oldest. She was in high school and I loved being able to just print out the week's assignments. It also made a great transcript for me. For our youngest we are now using Sonlight so I already have a schedule so I am not really using it this year. When dd gets old enough that I need a record of classes or I stop using Sonlight I will go back to using HST +. It was well worth the $50 for us.

I love HST+. You can print out any kind of report that you need so you do have a hard copy :001_smile:. There is a very steep learning curve. My DH was kind enough to print out the user's manual and have it bound for me. It has been my lifesaver.

We have been back to school for two days and having a print out of DS's assignments has been wonderful. He already knows that we have to 'work the sheet' each day. DS loves to know the plan for the week and I love that I know exactly what has to be covered each day.

For me, it is a major :thumbup:.

I bought HST+ a few years back and then sat on it for a couple of years. Finally last summer, I sat down with the videos from the site and figured it out. It is already paying off in not having to type in the stuff for ds9 since sis did it last year. Steep learning curve but pays off when your younger kids get to where your oldest is now. I really recommend the videos on their website and the yahoo groups for lesson plans. They have a lot of the common ones on there.

Is it worth the $50? Would it be helpful to a new homeschooler with 4 students (5th, 3rd, 1st and preschool)? I'm a bit organizationally challenged. I like hard copy of things and I like things neat. I'm fairly visual.

What do you think?

It's one of the first purchases I made when my oldest was starting out.

I've used it off and on over the years, and I have never regretted the money spent. I love that I get free updates for life, so I always have the most current edition. I'm getting the most out of it this year--I finally sat down a couple of months ago and watched the videos. I'm also keeping track of grades in math and grammar this year in preparation for high school. I hope to really understand a few more features every year so that it will make keeping track of high school a breeze.

I do print out a hard copy for our week's assignments, and my older 3 get a daily assignment sheet every morning. I like a paper copy of our assignments for ease of use, but I abhor the messiness and re-working of pencil to paper. With HST+ I can reassign and reprint and it always looks pretty :D.

Edited by JudoMom

I know that some people love it, but seriously, HST+ made me want to throw my computer out the window. If you are use to a Mac the warning goes double.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

If you want to give something computer based a try, try homeschool Skedtrack first. It is free so if it is a bust you have only lost some time, and the interface is better than HST so you probably haven't thrown the computer out the window by the time you are done!;)

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

Love skedtrack!!!!!

although I never purches the hst +, i hated the free version.

robin in NJ

I have used basic for about a year and finally caved (yesterday) and upgraded to PLUS and I am SO glad that I did. I really love all of the features and options that come with the PLUS version.

Like a PP mentioned, if you aren't a "computer-ish" person, it may NOT be the program for you, but if you are savvy and don't mind the computer, it's SO SO SO worth it.

I wasn't sure it would be beneficial for me with just one child, but it totally is, and it's even MORE worth it if you have several children. Not to mention that if you plan to re-use lesson plans (say you're using Singapore Math 3A for a 3rd grader and have a 1st grader who will eventually do Singapore Math 3A as well...those lesson plans stay "saved" in your archives, so when the time comes, just a few clicks and you have all your Singapore Math entered in for your second child)

I think it's definitely worth it, MORE than worth it, but again, you have to like computers ;)

I bought the Plus version at the end of the school year last year so I am just finishing up all my planning for the upcoming year. :D So far I am loving it! I love that I have a record of everything we have done/are doing and since I do have littles coming behind without too many years in between, I am looking forward to being able to reuse at least some of the lesson plans.

I would highly recommend watching the video or reading the users manual to get the most out of it with the least amount of frustration. I am hard-of-hearing, so I preferrred the manual over the videos. I open the manual online in one window and HST+ in another and switch back and forth as I am going through some new task. Another trick I learned from the forums is to create a practice database to try things out before putting them in your "real" one if you are worried about messing something up. Katie is great about answering questions on the forum at their website, too.

I am so glad that I invested in the money now so I can put *all* of our records in the same place. Last year was our first year homeschooling so I went back and entered our classes, resources, and letter grades for the year so I had it all documented.