Menu

Remedial Reading

What is the best remidial reading resourses for a 9 year old?

My son has SPD, ODD, ADHD and anxiety issues.

This is our first year HS and we had a rough start with a double death (my in laws) and the fact that they had their entire routine disrrupted for over eight weeks. We are trying to go back but it seems that he has regressed. Please help...

I'll assume that you need a good phonics program -- Barton and Wilson are too good programs to use. Otherwise, you can move through Phonics Pathways and add some multisensory techniques to fit your child (salt trays, clay, etc.)

When remediating it is best to start where he is and move at his pace -- even if it seems to take forever.

If you need other suggestions don't hesitate to ask.

What is the best remidial reading resourses for a 9 year old?

My son has SPD, ODD, ADHD and anxiety issues.

This is our first year HS and we had a rough start with a double death (my in laws) and the fact that they had their entire routine disrrupted for over eight weeks. We are trying to go back but it seems that he has regressed. Please help...

Wow, this sounds like my 8yods. First, try to get a routine going again, even if it's just reading aloud. The routine soothes those frazzled little nerves...not just his, but yours too! ;) I hope you don't mind my asking...

but does your son take any medication for his anxiety? We have just recently (1 week ago) begun our boy on zoloft for his anxiety. Poof! Gone are the meltdowns, even the oppositional behaviors have nearly disappeared! He's not tortured anymore. He even made a sandwich all by himself... and without a screaming fit of "I can't, I can't!". It's the little things...:tongue_smilie:

I can handle the unmedicated adhd for now (being summer), it's a cake-walk compared to what we (the whole fam) have gone through the last 5 or 6 years. My son also has multiple learning disabilities: dyscalculia, dyslexia, dyspraxia, etc. We simply HAD to treat the anxiety to deal with the learning problems...he was just too anxious, frustrated and oppositional to deal with remediation. The adhd meds are on hold for now, but I will reconsider if he can't focus enough on his studies to learn. I tried for years to help my son learn and cope...it just wasn't working. As for reading help, we use Reading Reflex for the most part. It's simple, effective, pleasant...and best of all, CHEAP! There are easy to use diagnostics in the book that help assess what your son knows and where to begin in the program.

All my best,

Geo

Edited by Geo

Thanks for the reply. He knows his letter sounds but confuses his b/d and his f/j... He is starting to get blending we are at present doing ETC 2. We are using I can read from SL1 book one. He can read but it is slow and he still has to sound some cvc words.

He seems to enjoy is ETC. This is our first year HS and he was very traumatized at school. Schools here use "Look and See" and "Look and Hear". I would spend the holodays doing phonics and he would get it but then go back to school and would get shouted when trying to sound out words. He also seems very traumatized and does not want to read. He seems to love ETC and he does it basically by himself... Thanks for your help...

He was on Risperdal since he was three and he had Concerta until last year July. It was affecting his heart so we had to take him off. Actually the Concerta helped with the reading. With my in-laws passing in a plane crash in May and the fact that we were up and down trying to get them back and burried. We had to leave the kids with friends that were very well intentioned but stopped their meds. When we finally came back and tried to get an appointment with the psychiatrist we found he moved and the only other one is over booked so we need to sort out their meds as well... Thanks...

I would check out the I See Sam readers from http://www.3rsplus.com or http://www.iseesam.com. These are a series of phonetic based readers that work very well with struggling kids. They only need to 5 sounds to blend into 3 words before they can read the first 2 books. They then continue slowly but steadily from there.

This series keeps the b/d and p/q far apart from each other in the instruction. If eye tracking is an issue, make sure to read about the cursor/notched card that you use to help them keep their place.

He was on Risperdal since he was three and he had Concerta until last year July. It was affecting his heart so we had to take him off. Actually the Concerta helped with the reading. With my in-laws passing in a plane crash in May and the fact that we were up and down trying to get them back and burried. We had to leave the kids with friends that were very well intentioned but stopped their meds. When we finally came back and tried to get an appointment with the psychiatrist we found he moved and the only other one is over booked so we need to sort out their meds as well... Thanks...

Bless your hearts, you are really going through a rough time in your lives.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Geo

P.S. On the reading note:

Check and see if your library has Reading Reflex. It helps to look at the contents. I know of no website that carries a fair amount o fsample pages. This program covers letter sounds to multi-syllabic words. There are support materials (not absolutely necessary, but helpful) available at

www.readamerica.net

This is our first year HS and he was very traumatized at school. Schools here use "Look and See" and "Look and Hear". I would spend the holodays doing phonics and he would get it but then go back to school and would get shouted when trying to sound out words. He also seems very traumatized and does not want to read.

Oh, that is sad. :grouphug: I don't know what ETC is or what to recommend but I hope things calm down for you and he can get settled into something that he can use to learn and build his confidence and start to enjoy it.

He is starting to get blending we are at present doing ETC 2. We are using I can read from SL1 book one. He can read but it is slow and he still has to sound some cvc words.

He seems to enjoy is ETC. This is our first year HS and he was very traumatized at school. Schools here use "Look and See" and "Look and Hear". I would spend the holodays doing phonics and he would get it but then go back to school and would get shouted when trying to sound out words. He also seems very traumatized and does not want to read. He seems to love ETC and he does it basically by himself... Thanks for your help...

Somehow I missed your post above. It seems that this year will be largely about decompressing from the stress of school and healing from a tragic loss of family. If he enjoys ETC and feels confident enough to do it independently...I would continue with it. It's a solid program and though it progresses slowly...it sounds like a good fit for your son (just be sure to have him read aloud the words to you daily). Building confidence in learning AND feeling good about working independently are powerful medicine when facing learning problems. I'd say you're both doing well!

I suggest that you read-aloud to your son (and daughter) alot this year, it will expand his vocabulary and plant seeds for a love of reading." Where The Red Fern Grows" by Wilson Rawls is a great read, as is "Sign Of The Beaver" by Elizabeth George Speare...or...My Side Of The Mountain by Jean Craighead George. Another fond memory

of ours is, "Benjamin West And His Cat Grimalkin" by Maguerite Henry. Oh, and don't forget about all the wonderful books available on CD, either!

Have fun,

Geo

Edited by Geo

For my remedial students who have to overcome guessing habits from sight words, I use nonsense words. My game is a fun way to make nonsense words.

I also find that spelling helps to reinforce the phonics. Oral spelling is especially helpful.

Once his confidence is built up and he is blending better, he can try my phonics lessons, they are for older remedial students but start with the basics.

Someone on this board a few years ago recommended Stairway to Reading to me. It is a free curriculum from Canada, I think. Anyway, it worked wonders for my HFA dd. I liked that there was a lot of hands on word building games and made up words to get them to read phonetically as opposed to guessing at the word. I will say, it is quite teacher intensive. My dd really needed this though. I needed to hear her saying the words, especially blends which were difficult for her. It is a great program and worked so well for her. In fact, we didn't have to even complete the whole program before she was reading well enough to go to a more traditional "workbook" type phonics program. Here is the link if you want to take a look (there is A LOT to print out though!):

http://www.teachyourchildtoread.ca/

Thanks for all your replies. We will be using some of these wonderful suggestions as well as what we already have at hand. We just finished "Sign of the beaver" from Core 3 (SL).

I have dropped Core 1 for now as with all our drama this year it would have been impossible to keep up with two SL cores. This is also our first year HS so I am really sailing uncharted waters.

My daugthter reading & compreension is at a grade 8 level (we had her tested last year) and we both take turns reading the RA's and the readers to her brother from Core 3.

The problem is the lack of specialized therapist here. I have a good friend that went to the States and she is a Remedial Therapist with OG training but she is so busy that I have been battling for two years to get my son for testing. There is only another OG trained therapist in this area..

OK I digress, once again thank you for your help...