Menu

Phonics Program for visual learners

I will second Ellie. Although I use Spell to Write and Read. But I also do things a little different to reach my VSL and hands-on learners.

In K-2nd we spend a lot of time working with the phonograms and rules. I looked to the Waldorf method and use pictures and stories to represent the phonograms. This helped my children remember things a lot more than just going through the flash cards and working on the word lists were painful at this age.

So in K, we went through the letters A-Z and a few easy phonograms, we had pictures, key words, movements I created after watching Leappad Letter factory and I would read a fairy tale that featured that letter.

In 1st, we went through A-Z, about 1/2 the phonograms and some of the rules. Again we had the same pictures, key words, movements and fairy tales.

In 2nd, we do most of the phonograms, a few of the rules and this time we use Aesop's Fables for our stories.

On my blog you can see pictures of what I do. You can see more about how I do phonics, spelling and language arts under the language arts tag.

Hope this helps.:001_smile:

Thank you, your reply was very helpful.

I was looking at the Spalding website, it looks a little confusing to me...

I was looking specifically at McRuffy Phonic, Phonics Museum and The Reading Lesson. Would you say any of those appeal to visual learners?

Anyone have any other suggestions?

I will second Ellie. Although I use Spell to Write and Read. But I also do things a little different to reach my VSL and hands-on learners.

In K-2nd we spend a lot of time working with the phonograms and rules. I looked to the Waldorf method and use pictures and stories to represent the phonograms. This helped my children remember things a lot more than just going through the flash cards and working on the word lists were painful at this age.

So in K, we went through the letters A-Z and a few easy phonograms, we had pictures, key words, movements I created after watching Leappad Letter factory and I would read a fairy tale that featured that letter.

In 1st, we went through A-Z, about 1/2 the phonograms and some of the rules. Again we had the same pictures, key words, movements and fairy tales.

In 2nd, we do most of the phonograms, a few of the rules and this time we use Aesop's Fables for our stories.

On my blog you can see pictures of what I do. You can see more about how I do phonics, spelling and language arts under the language arts tag.

Hope this helps.:001_smile:

Hi again RainbowSprinkles (love your name, btw),

I thought I'd post again....looks like you might have been typing as I posted and I wasn't sure you'd catch my post above yours.

We are using McRuffy K and love it. My dd thinks it's adorable.

I looked at The Reading Lesson website. I think the website is cuter than the samples. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the program, it's just in comparison to what we are using it's not colorful (and you were looking for something that appeals to visual learners).

As for Phonics Museum, that one doesn't appeal to me....maybe because I don't classically homeschool and I don't really care for the look of it (but that's just me).

I'd encourage you to look at the McRuffy samples again. I know it's really hard to make the decision. I guess just keep comparing samples; even show your child the samples and see what they say (not that their decision is final...but it might help you see what appeals to them).

Thanks! It is so hard making decisions like this one. I'm just really worried about not picking the right program.... Anyone else want to chime in?

Hi again RainbowSprinkles (love your name, btw),

I thought I'd post again....looks like you might have been typing as I posted and I wasn't sure you'd catch my post above yours.

We are using McRuffy K and love it. My dd thinks it's adorable.

I looked at The Reading Lesson website. I think the website is cuter than the samples. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the program, it's just in comparison to what we are using it's not colorful (and you were looking for something that appeals to visual learners).

As for Phonics Museum, that one doesn't appeal to me....maybe because I don't classically homeschool and I don't really care for the look of it (but that's just me).

I'd encourage you to look at the McRuffy samples again. I know it's really hard to make the decision. I guess just keep comparing samples; even show your child the samples and see what they say (not that their decision is final...but it might help you see what appeals to them).

I've linked free and thorough phonics lesson plans I found (Orton Gillingham based, very solid and multi-sensory) that appeal to my visual learner.

Here are the plans--K, 1st, 2nd grade. http://learningsharingcaring.blogspot.com/2010/07/i-found-these-materials-to-do-complete.html

Then I found free resources that added even more for my visual learner. Here are videos and printable options that he has loved. Most of these are linked for specific sounds we were working on at the time I put the links together but in most cases there are tons of options for almost anything you're working with at the time. http://learningsharingcaring.blogspot.com/2010/08/great-resources-to-target-specific.html

I've got links to printable board games, free phonetic readers, activities, and also purchase type materials I've added to our program. Basically, we use those plans linked above and then I add games, readers, videos, activities, etc. that I've linked on the blog though you don't really need any extras at all as the plans really are complete. It's been fun and it's working well. For bossy R sounds (or/ar/er/ir/ur/ear/wor) for example I printed a "bossy r" poster from online resources, we watched I think 7 video clips from Between the Lions and the Electric Company and others on Youtube that were so cute with the bossy R sounds (not all at once--watch a clip, play a game, watch a clip and write the sounds, watch a clip and read them, etc.), we had flash cards and jumped on them as we said them, I did Fun With Phonograms Phonogram Zoo story and book (the only purchased thing I used), we played games with the gameboards I printed, we did (free) readers, etc. We had fun, they have them solidly frontwards and backwards, and it cost me almost nothing. For other sounds we've followed the plans alone. I realized as I typed all that out that it sounds involved and maybe confusing--it's not, it's been so easy--but the plans I linked above all on their own are absolutely wonderful and lay each lesson out for you clearly.

If you're not past initial letter sounds Leapfrog Letter Factory is wonderful for visual (and any really) learners.

I really think you can put together a program to appeal to a visual learner that would rival anything you could purchase. I put together that blog because I was so impressed with what's out there I wanted to share it.

But if you've got money set aside for an expensive program Go Phonics looks fun, visual, and extremely solid. My visual son loved Headsprout but I didn't. It's expensive, covers few of the phonograms I believe a child needs to decode and spell well, and the second level particularly is too sight word oriented for me. I really wish I'd done something like Go Phonics instead for the money I spent for two kids in Headsprout. But lots of people love it and it definitely appeals to visual kids I think as it did here. What it does in the first level it does solidly. I just don't think it does enough for what it costs! Homeschool Reviews.com is good (along with opinions here) for researching curriculums but now I know some of the best reading programs aren't listed there and some of them that have great reviews might now be what you in particular want (like Headsprout for myself).

Edited by sbgrace

i'll speak to Phonics Museum and Phonics Pathways:

Our very visual boy learner did WONDERFULLY with this as a combo. I did lots of the Phonics Pathways on white board/magnetic letters. The phonics Museum was FANTASTIC in combining really engaging readers that are historically based, great great great artwork that he STILL talks about (and fun coloring sheets to mimic), easy to execute projects that tie in well, and a great set of puzzle cards. I think there's a *bit* of it that can turn into busy work or just get drawn out but that's probably more b/c he is very gifted in language arts, so it wasn't a stretch for him. Still, even with the parts that I'd prefer to not do, there's enough that I decided to use it for my second child .... So, two times around for us!

HTH.

I think McRuffy is really nice for visual and hands on learners. It is colorful, but laid out simply...not too busy or distracting. The tm is very easy to use.

The readers are funny and silly, which really helped my ds stay interested in reading more. He always wanted to finish the reader, even when he was only required to read half. The games made it fun, too.

Thank you so much fir taking the time to post all this. It's so helpful!

I've linked free and thorough phonics lesson plans I found (Orton Gillingham based, very solid and multi-sensory) that appeal to my visual learner.

Here are the plans--K, 1st, 2nd grade. http://learningsharingcaring.blogspot.com/2010/07/i-found-these-materials-to-do-complete.html

Then I found free resources that added even more for my visual learner. Here are videos and printable options that he has loved. Most of these are linked for specific sounds we were working on at the time I put the links together but in most cases there are tons of options for almost anything you're working with at the time. http://learningsharingcaring.blogspot.com/2010/08/great-resources-to-target-specific.html

I've got links to printable board games, free phonetic readers, activities, and also purchase type materials I've added to our program. Basically, we use those plans linked above and then I add games, readers, videos, activities, etc. that I've linked on the blog though you don't really need any extras at all as the plans really are complete. It's been fun and it's working well. For bossy R sounds (or/ar/er/ir/ur/ear/wor) for example I printed a "bossy r" poster from online resources, we watched I think 7 video clips from Between the Lions and the Electric Company and others on Youtube that were so cute with the bossy R sounds (not all at once--watch a clip, play a game, watch a clip and write the sounds, watch a clip and read them, etc.), we had flash cards and jumped on them as we said them, I did Fun With Phonograms Phonogram Zoo story and book (the only purchased thing I used), we played games with the gameboards I printed, we did (free) readers, etc. We had fun, they have them solidly frontwards and backwards, and it cost me almost nothing. For other sounds we've followed the plans alone. I realized as I typed all that out that it sounds involved and maybe confusing--it's not, it's been so easy--but the plans I linked above all on their own are absolutely wonderful and lay each lesson out for you clearly.

If you're not past initial letter sounds Leapfrog Letter Factory is wonderful for visual (and any really) learners.

I really think you can put together a program to appeal to a visual learner that would rival anything you could purchase. I put together that blog because I was so impressed with what's out there I wanted to share it.

But if you've got money set aside for an expensive program Go Phonics looks fun, visual, and extremely solid. My visual son loved Headsprout but I didn't. It's expensive, covers few of the phonograms I believe a child needs to decode and spell well, and the second level particularly is too sight word oriented for me. I really wish I'd done something like Go Phonics instead for the money I spent for two kids in Headsprout. But lots of people love it and it definitely appeals to visual kids I think as it did here. What it does in the first level it does solidly. I just don't think it does enough for what it costs! Homeschool Reviews.com is good (along with opinions here) for researching curriculums but now I know some of the best reading programs aren't listed there and some of them that have great reviews might now be what you in particular want (like Headsprout for myself).

McRuffy K is light on worksheets. It has only one worksheet per day/lesson. Some are very simple, like drawing a line to connect the words that rhyme, cutting and pasting letters or words, and coloring in pictures with certain letters or words. Around halfway through, 5 spelling words are practiced each week.

McRuffy 1st grade usually has two workbook pages per lesson, although sometimes only one. More handwriting is required because there are 10 spelling words integrated into the workbook pages.

HTH!

Thanks everyone! I will take some time to think this over. Anyone else want to add anything?

About McRuffy~is this program heavy on worksheets?

My son is a visual-spatial learner and McRuffy would be too overstimulating for him. The different colors would actually be distracting. For this kind of learner, I would play games, use phonogram cards and something like ETC that can be done with colored pencils. Videos also work wonderfully. In fact, someone posted this link recently. The videos look wonderful.

http://funwithphonograms.com/?page_id=147

Of course, this is what I found with one my kids. McRuffy is well-loved, though, and does have tons of games. Not many worksheets at all. ;)

Edited by lisabees

My son is a visual-spatial learner and McRuffy would be too overstimulating for him. The different colors would actually be distracting. For this kind of learner, I would play games, use phonogram cards and something like ETC that can be done with colored pencils. Videos also work wonderfully. In fact, someone posted this link recently. The videos look wonderful.

Of course, this is what I found with one my kids. McRuffy is well-loved, though, and does have tons of games. Not many worksheets at all. ;)

The videos do look wonderful. They have a spelling rules DVD that is really great but their Phonogram Circus DVD is in process (sample episode up online) and they haven't moved to Phonogram Zoo yet. We use their Phonogram Circus and Phonogram Zoo CD's (music/story) and picture books for each. They have workbooks too for those though I've not seen them. When they finish their DVD's I think they will be wonderful choices if their spelling DVD is any indication. But, unfortunately, they aren't ready yet. I do use them in our program and my kids like them.

OP, you can look at Explode the Code samples via CBD.com if I remember right. My visual learner can be overstimulated too by too much but he does love video clips and needs to see whatever. So we use the plans outlined above which use multi-sensory stuff but not in an overwhelming way. OP, if you like the looks of those school plans but want it in book form I believe their system is very much like Recipe for Reading which is a reasonably priced book.

My kiddo does do well with computer stuff but, as I said, I wasn't impressed with the content of Headsprout though he enjoyed it. Lexia Reading computer program might be an option and I'm sure it's solid and complete (I looked at content and research on it) if it looks like it might appeal. They have a homeschool version.

I hope you find something that works well!

Edited by sbgrace

This looks fun! Thanks for sharing. I'll look into it more when I'm at my laptop later :)

We've tried ETC last year and ds didn't like it. He does like to play games on the computer do maybe I should look into that more. He also likes all the Leapfrog Dvd's. He learned the letter sounds by watching the letter factory. We also have the word factory, but it's not working as well. I wish leapfrog made a video teaching to blend 2 letter "words"....

QUOTE=sbgrace;1921706]The videos do look wonderful. They have a spelling rules DVD that is really great but their Phonogram Circus DVD is in process (sample episode up online) and they haven't moved to Phonogram Zoo yet. We use their Phonogram Circus and Phonogram Zoo CD's (music/story) and picture books for each. They have workbooks too for those though I've not seen them. When they finish their DVD's I think they will be wonderful choices if their spelling DVD is any indication. But, unfortunately, they aren't ready yet. I do use them in our program and my kids like them.

OP, you can look at Explode the Code samples via CBD.com if I remember right. My visual learner can be overstimulated too by too much but he does love video clips and needs to see whatever. So we use the plans outlined above which use multi-sensory stuff but not in an overwhelming way. OP, if you like the looks of those school plans but want it in book form I believe their system is very much like Recipe for Reading which is a reasonably priced book.

My kiddo does do well with computer stuff but, as I said, I wasn't impressed with the content of Headsprout though he enjoyed it. Lexia Reading computer program might be an option and I'm sure it's solid and complete (I looked at content and research on it) if it looks like it might appeal. They have a homeschool version.

I hope you find something that works well!

RainbowSprinkles, if your son really likes to do games on the computer, how about Click N Read Phonics? You can search online for a coupon and the subscription never expires (ETC online is only for a year, I think). Check it out:

http://www.clicknkids.com/Phonics.php?

Here are some coupons (you can probably find more by googling):

http://www.offers.com/clicknreadphonics/

They have the phonics and the spelling at homeschool buyers co-op (but you'd want to compare their prices with the online coupons....I think I got a better deal with a coupon):

The phonics co-op price is $29.99 right now:

https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/index.php?option=com_hsbc_epp_order&Itemid=1396

The spelling co-op price isn't the best right now, I think you'd do better with an online coupon:

https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/index.php?option=com_hsbc_epp_order&Itemid=1159

• 2 weeks later...

OG methods are great! :iagree: and the website is very helpful. I posted a letter of the week a couple of times on my blog and will continue doing so. You'll get a nice idea on whether or not OG will work well for your dc. Very tactile, very visual, very working well!

• 2 weeks later...

time4learning.com has nice computer phonics activities. My son really really enjoys it. I would never use it as our spine, but it's a nice fun supplement and a great alternative to regular video/computer games. We tried click n kids in the past and did not enjoy it.