Menu

Globes -- what's your favorite?

Nestof3

I am considering this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Replogle-Globes-Inc-33801-Atlantis/dp/B0000945KW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

We have bought two of the plastic ones from Target. They were fine, but my son dropped it once, and our cat knocked it off the shelf once, and each time the plastic broke. So, instead of buying a third at Target (I just saw them there the other day), I figured I'd go with something that wasn't plastic.

I really like the linked one because it is a relief globe with mountains and trenches. Do you have a better one that doesn't cost a fortune?

It's really pretty. You might want to make sure that the "band" (not sure what it's called) that goes all the way around the globe (kwim?) is not plastic. That broke on ours, but it was an older one.

Alas, we have the Target one too.

I loved the globe in the link. Alas, my budget cannot afford it right now.

We had the Target globe last year, and my ds17 (who has autism) took it down and "flapped" it. For those who can't visualize what I mean by flapping, think of a cat toying with a mouse...:tongue_smilie: Anyway, our globe ended up looking like a huge meteor struck in the Pacific and also somewhere in Europe. :lol:

We actually kept it for awhile...I would just turn the side with the natural disaster toward the wall, so it wouldn't look so bizarre when people came by. :D

So, I am now in the market for a new globe, and will probably end up going cheap again with another Target globe. We'll just try to do a better job of putting it somewhere "out-of-sight and out-of-mind." Hopefully our globe will not have to endure any more natural disasters...:lol:

This is our favorite. It's not as precise or detailed as a "real" globe, but the real globe sits, unused and unloved, in another room, while dd7 cuddles this one on her lap as we read, and frequently stops me so she can look up the country just referred to on the globe. It's the only globe we've had that gets used by children voluntarily.

This is our favorite. It's not as precise or detailed as a "real" globe, but the real globe sits, unused and unloved, in another room, while dd7 cuddles this one on her lap as we read, and frequently stops me so she can look up the country just referred to on the globe. It's the only globe we've had that gets used by children voluntarily.

I love this! Is that a good place to order? I prefer Amazon. I'll check there. I like the inflatable also. Hmmm.....

I love Satori's globes also.

Hobby Lobby carries some Replogle globes and ours had one that had a metal base and raised relief topography. I didn't see it on thier website, but I am planning on heading there with a 40% off coupon.

Now that is a good idea, I didn't think about going there! I LOVE their 40% off coupons! I have been searching for a globe too for a while now, but it seems they just don't line up where they should and they are not put together very well. SO I have still been searching.

We just got a Puzzleball globe. Fun to put together and then you put it on the stand to use as a globe. Just can't be too hard on it or the pieces fall in. Really like it....now got the kids the puzzleball Solar System ones to do as we study Astronomy.

http://www.amazon.com/Ravensburger-Earth-540-Piece-puzzleball/dp/B000UEL05U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1281053782&sr=8-1

I really wish we lived next to a Hobby Lobby. :)

Hobby Lobby carries some Replogle globes and ours had one that had a metal base and raised relief topography. I didn't see it on thier website, but I am planning on heading there with a 40% off coupon.