Menu

Math Mammoth users needed again.....IF I order....

BatmansWife

The other day I had asked some questions about Math Mammoth, and I've read other discussions about it too. It does sound interesting. I *might* be interested in using this to supplement (at least to start out that way). I was thinking that when we come upon a new topic in the math program we are using, I could find pages in MM to go along with it and maybe they'll have a different way to explain it. I'm not sure yet if this is something to really do or not.

Anyway, I was at the website trying to figure out what to get for 1st grade. Sounds like the Blue Series is more for supplement and the Light Blue Series is a full curriculum. I don't think I want to go with the downloads (we often have computer problems and I don't think I want to have to rely on printing worksheets). So, I'm looking at print versions. I thought that the Blue Series would be the way to go, since it's for supplement (I think???)....but here's what you'd need:

$10.15 Addition 1

$10.50 Subtraction 1

$ 9.70 Place Value 1

$10.00 Clock

$ 9.50 Money

$10.90Measuring

$ 9.05 Early Geometry

The total would be $69.80

But, if you go with the Light Blue 1st grade complete curriculum you'd need:

$11.90 Part A Worktext

$11.80 Part B Worktext

$13.75 Answer Key

$10.25 Tests & Cummulative Reviews (not sure if these are really needed)

This way would cost $47.70 (or $37.45 if you don't get the tests/reviews).

Even if you want to just use MM as a supplement, and maybe pick and choose what worksheets to use, it seems to make more sense to just go with the Light Blue complete curriculum. Maybe I don't fully understand the difference between Blue and Light Blue? There's so much at the website, and I don't have time to sit here and read it all.

For anyone using the complete curriculum, do you feel the tests/reviews are necessary?

The other day I had asked some questions about Math Mammoth, and I've read other discussions about it too. It does sound interesting. I *might* be interested in using this to supplement (at least to start out that way). I was thinking that when we come upon a new topic in the math program we are using, I could find pages in MM to go along with it and maybe they'll have a different way to explain it. I'm not sure yet if this is something to really do or not.

Anyway, I was at the website trying to figure out what to get for 1st grade. Sounds like the Blue Series is more for supplement and the Light Blue Series is a full curriculum. I don't think I want to go with the downloads (we often have computer problems and I don't think I want to have to rely on printing worksheets). So, I'm looking at print versions. I thought that the Blue Series would be the way to go, since it's for supplement (I think???)....but here's what you'd need:

$10.15 Addition 1

$10.50 Subtraction 1

$ 9.70 Place Value 1

$10.00 Clock

$ 9.50 Money

$10.90Measuring

$ 9.05 Early Geometry

The total would be $69.80

But, if you go with the Light Blue 1st grade complete curriculum you'd need:

$11.90 Part A Worktext

$11.80 Part B Worktext

$13.75 Answer Key

$10.25 Tests & Cummulative Reviews (not sure if these are really needed)

This way would cost $47.70 (or $37.45 if you don't get the tests/reviews).

Even if you want to just use MM as a supplement, and maybe pick and choose what worksheets to use, it seems to make more sense to just go with the Light Blue complete curriculum. Maybe I don't fully understand the difference between Blue and Light Blue? There's so much at the website, and I don't have time to sit here and read it all.

For anyone using the complete curriculum, do you feel the tests/reviews are necessary?

Some of those things are multi-level, though. I think the clock book covers all the clock work, not just 1st grade stuff, if that makes sense. So it's more up-front, but some items are more then a year of content.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Some of those things are multi-level, though. I think the clock book covers all the clock work, not just 1st grade stuff, if that makes sense. So it's more up-front, but some items are more then a year of content.

Yes, many cover several grade levels. The Blue Series and Light Blue Series are almost identical, just organized differently.

I've used the Light blue series for one year and a combination of the blue series for another year. Much of it is the same. Also, I've never had any special answer key (they're in the back of the books... and you won't need them for teaching 1st grade math anyway) and I've never used any testing material...

If I were you... I'd get a new printer. It sounds like you need one anyway. Then, I'd just download books as you need them since you're not going to need 7 worktexts for first grade all at the same time. When I print them, I have my kids draw covers and then take my printed copies to a shop that spiral binds them for $2. They get a little excited about their new books.

I've used the Light blue series for one year and a combination of the blue series for another year. Much of it is the same. Also, I've never had any special answer key (they're in the back of the books... and you won't need them for teaching 1st grade math anyway) and I've never used any testing material...

If I were you... I'd get a new printer. It sounds like you need one anyway. Then, I'd just download books as you need them since you're not going to need 7 worktexts for first grade all at the same time. When I print them, I have my kids draw covers and then take my printed copies to a shop that spiral binds them for $2. They get a little excited about their new books.

Actually, our printer is fine. I don't like going through ink like crazy. We've had a lot of computer crashes in the last year (probably need a new computer, but that's not gonna happen)...so I didn't want to rely on dowloads to get my math pages; I'd rather spend a little more and just have them printed already.

I'm pretty sure I'd go with the Light Blue if I decide to do this.

Earlier in the year I bought the entire Light Blue series from Homeschool Buyer's co-op for around $65. If you are not sure about using MM, you might want to wait for a sale or just buy one blue series to try it out. If you didn't want to print it yourself you could use www.mimeo.com or something like that. I know you said you didn't mind spending little more but that might be a significant savings. CurrClick also sometimes has sales on MM.

:iagree: The clock, measuring, and geometry Blue books cover all the way through 3rd grade. You could also sign up for the 7-day virtual tour and just ask the author which one she would suggest.

Math Mammoth isn't on the Homeschool Buyer's Co-op currently, so I just bit the bullet the other night and got the Light Blue Full Curriculum Grade 1 download. We're going to use it as a supplement. I hope I'll utilize it anyway, you guys all make it sound like it's spectacular.

Math Mammoth isn't on the Homeschool Buyer's Co-op currently, so I just bit the bullet the other night and got the Light Blue Full Curriculum Grade 1 download. We're going to use it as a supplement. I hope I'll utilize it anyway, you guys all make it sound like it's spectacular.

It really is- I hope you love it as much as we do!!

Here's what I do with downloadable products. The minute I purchase them, I upload them to my Google documents account, which is free. Then I can access them forever and wherever I am! I have them all in folders by subject now, it is kind of fun to go through and see all of them. I am able to look at them even while I'm on vacation this week.

• 4 weeks later...
Here's what I do with downloadable products. The minute I purchase them, I upload them to my Google documents account, which is free. Then I can access them forever and wherever I am! I have them all in folders by subject now, it is kind of fun to go through and see all of them. I am able to look at them even while I'm on vacation this week.

Thank you for this idea!!

This is exactly what I was planning on doing!! Woohoo!

That is a great idea~ I have back ups at home, external hard drive, and CD...need to figure out the RW thing, it would make more sense :lol:.

But I will look into THAT too! Great idea! I have alot that I would be sad about if the computer crashed. BTDT. And this is a temp, for now, until we can afford a new one computer, that was purchased when the last one crashed. And it's on it's last legs.:tongue_smilie:

We love MM. Had I *noticed* there was a deal on purchasing all of them at once, I would have done that! Saved some $. But now it doesn't matter, we have 1,2, 4 and 5..lol. But we weren't sure we'd use it.

We love the downloads. I had 2 workbooks printed for me, but you lose the color, it's costly to do it as color. So I started printing at home. I print this way.

When new cartridges, I set the print quality to fastdraft. Use the least amount of ink possible to get a clear print off. Once that gets a little broken up, I "upgrade" to fastnormal print. It will clear up the printing for another 200-400 pages. When that starts to break up, I upgrade to normal print. When that goes, I use best.

By the time I'm done doing that, there is nearly nothing left in the cartridges at all. I was looking at upgrading to a laser printer, but doing it this way, uses minimal ink. I can get nearly 3000 sheets unless it's dense pictures, then it drains faster. So the cost per page is nearly the same as the laser jet, without the cost of the new printer.

And it is nice to have the pdf file, if the student spills and ruins a page, or really messes up, it's easy to print a new one, and they get a fresh start. I have perfectionists that if they have alot of errors when learning a concept, or mess up a diagram, and keeps seeing the errors, it really bothers them, they'd rather start over. I don't encourage this, one has to get over it, but when it's a bad day, it's just not worth it. A new page can change the tone of the day!