Menu

Reluctant reader--suggestions?

DS8 reads/comprehends at a 5th grade level so that is not the issue. He just doesn't care to read. Ever. He'll do it if forced, but never by choice. He hasn't voluntarily read anything since our last day of school on June 4th. He's even gotten to the point where he won't read the label on a box of food or a sign at a park. His first instinct is to ask an adult what it says. He will read it after we refuse, but not by choice.

He is surrounded by books of his choosing as well as books of ours. He has limited screen time so that is not the issue. DH and I read all the time so he does see it as an example from us. DD4 is constantly asking to be read to and I've starting having her ask DS to read in an effort to make him read something. He's had an eye exam by a developmental doctor so that's not an issue either.

The only work I require in the summer is 30 minutes of reading and one page of math each for week day. He can work ahead, or fall behind, as is his choice. He keeps a log and I check it at the end of the week. He has kept up on the math but hasn't read a thing since June 4th.

Since June, he has had Science Workshop on Fridays and we have done several educational outtings (zoo, science center, childrens' museum, tide pools, hikes, wildlife park). He has also had Cub Scout Resident camp, VBS, and a Science Camp.

Is he just too over-scheduled to think about reading?

Do I force him to read or do I just let it go and pay for it when we start school again?

I'd leave it. I'd read to him as much as he would allow and you can easily manage. I might also listen to audio books in the car. This is not uncommon in even very bright 8 yr old boys. They tend to be very dreamy and busy. Moving the body is important. As it is summer and he is engaged in (and there is reading everywhere-- VBS, menus in restuarants, putting lego together, maybe the occasional Mad Libs or other board game, the reading of jokes off a popsicle stick, playing a new game on the computer etc etc., so it isn't that he isn't reading at all.

Don't stress until there is need to stress. It's July.

Edited by LibraryLover

I'd leave it. I'd read to him as much as he would allow and you can easily manage. I might also listen to audio books in the car. This is not uncommon in even very bright 8 yr old boys. They tend to be very dreamy and busy. Moving the body is important. As it is summer and he is engaged in (and there is reading everywhere-- VBS, menus in restuarants, putting lego together, maybe the occasional Mad Libs or other board game, the reading of jokes off a popsicle stick, playing a new game on the computer etc etc., so it isn't that he isn't reading at all.

Don't stress until there is need to stress. It's July.

Thanks. I just get frustrated when he acts "dumb." "What kind of cereal is this?" "Um, if the leprechaun on the box doesn't give it away, the words Lucky Charms should." ahhhhh!!!!

Does he like being read to or not? A strategy that I've heard is to start a really interesting book and then stop when it gets interesting (like get get busy with some other task like making dinner) and see if he picks it up himself.

He hates being read to, and I think it's for the same reason I hate being read to... People read aloud more slowly than I read in my head and my mind wanders. As a result, I don't get any of the mental imagery from a readaloud that I do from reading myself. Heck, I usually forget I'm being read to and don't pay any attention to what's being said after a while. Even when we do audio books in the car, DS requests a copy of the same book so he can follow along. That's the only way he comprehends the material.

I keep a box of books in the car. I rotate them to keep them fresh and to make sure the kids are reading what I want them to read. Sneaky, yes. It works!!

I'd also limit screen time. Books can be far less interesting to visually stimulated boys when there are other options available.

Lastly, we have quiet time almost every day. The kids can sleep or read. The chose read almost always.

And, I assign reading. Almost daily. The kids don't care now - it's just part of life for them.

I would leave it too, since he is so busy.

My son was 9.5 before he grabbed an evening read aloud book from my hands and asked if it was ok to keep reading it after I finished. He was hooked from then on. But before that....very reluctant. I kept reading aloud- books I felt would spark his interest.

He is 14 now and up until recently has been an avid reader. His interest in reading in his own time has dimmed, so I dont push it. But I do require reading for school and I add in books I know he will love.

He is just reading Shakespeare. He was supposed to read Act One Scene One of As You Like It and thought he had to read the whole thing. I only just discovered he was 3/4 of the way through the book. I asked him how he was enjoying it and he said he really liked it except he felt that some of the characters were superfluent. *I* cant stand reading Shakespeare, but I never told my kids that.

So....the fact he didnt like reading at 8 isnt reflective of his ability right now.

I also read aloud during school time.

My son is a fantasy reader. He loves dragons and imaginary lands. So I fed him in that area- both for him, and in our read alouds.

Hang in there but if its holidays....maybe back off somewhat and let him be free of too many obligations. Kids need time to dream and do nothing, too.

Does he like being read to or not? A strategy that I've heard is to start a really interesting book and then stop when it gets interesting (like get get busy with some other task like making dinner) and see if he picks it up himself.

Just what I was going to suggest!

Let the kids who read stay up a half hour or so later that the others. My boys loved this when I also shared that I'd stay up reading with a flashlight when I was a kid. :)

Are there any magazines he'd pick up? After experimenting here, I'm finding Popular Science to be read. You could also try Boys Life, Popular Mechanics or any number of other magazines.