Menu

s/o Another Craigslist Question

This may seem like a stupid question, but I don't see any guidelines on the CL site to answer my question. My only experience with CL has been large items with face-to-face purchases with cash. Do those of you who use CL frequently also sell things using PayPal and shipping? Does it work just like the FS transactions here on our forum?

Thanks!

Blessings,

Lucinda

This may seem like a stupid question, but I don't see any guidelines on the CL site to answer my question. My only experience with CL has been large items with face-to-face purchases with cash. Do those of you who use CL frequently also sell things using PayPal and shipping? Does it work just like the FS transactions here on our forum?

Thanks!

Blessings,

Lucinda

For this I'd be more wary. CL isn't supposed to be a long-distance tool -- that's clear in their guidelines. People are supposed to sell in their local areas. I supposed others can search other locations for what they need, and then ask about shipping, but typically I'd personally steer clear of it.

I had some books that were historically significant to an area where we no longer lived. I could have ebayed them, but I didn't want to lose money with eBay fees. So I posted them on the cl for that area.

I was very forthcoming in my listing, explaining my circumstances and including many photos. I chose to accept only paypal and to include shipping in my asking price. I made a very pleasant, successful transaction. However, it was a unique situation. I wouldn't make a practice of out of town cl-ing.

For this I'd be more wary. CL isn't supposed to be a long-distance tool -- that's clear in their guidelines. People are supposed to sell in their local areas. I supposed others can search other locations for what they need, and then ask about shipping, but typically I'd personally steer clear of it.

Although I will say that I posted a cast iron wood stove on our local CL once and received a contact from half way across the country -- they did buy it via Paypal and paid over $100 for shipping. So it does happen.

I purchased a set of Harvard Classics through craiglist and had them shipped without any problems. Paypal worked the same. I wouldn't use personal payment as Paypal will not protect you to the level they will with the standard purchase option and if it was valuable I would pay extra for insurance and list that in the message box of paypal so you have proof the seller should be able to provide an insurance stub (and I'd save a copy of the craigslist post as the seller can delete it at will.)

I only asked because we live in a rural area that is well out of the city and it isn't convenient at all for people to drive out to our place. There are some things that people would be willing to do that for, but not all. I just wondered if CL would work to increase sales prospects for us if we wanted to market certain things.

Thanks for the input, ladies.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I've shipped items to people (about an hour away) who have bought from me off of CL and they payed using paypal. If you are shipping to semi-local people that's alot less of a risk right there. You're going to have their address and you're close enough to them that you could drive there so they are less likely to scam you, IMO. I wouldn't ship anything too valuable of course but you'll know if it's not worth the risk. In your ad just state that they can p/u or have the item shipped. I would never ship to someone more than 2 hours away.