Menu

They Might Be Giants Here Comes Science

hmschooln

It's fun for any age, IMO. All my kids like TMBG's kids music. It's even fun for mom. :) It's not, by any stretch, a curriculum, but it's got fun mnemonics down pat.

IIRC, it has at least one song which might offend some Christians (it's about evolution, I think), but I was not offended myself. YMMV, of course.

We got this when my daughter was 4. I suppose it would be nice for anyone who likes music and enjoys watching the music videos... Most songs were immediately relevant, while others she'll appreciate more when she's older, such as when she knows the periodic chart. Anyway, we all love this set, I'd say any age would enjoy it.

I think this is by far TMBG's best album for kids thus far, and that's saying something. If you don't know their music, it's poppy and strange. Their kids' stuff sounds very similar to their adult stuff and is kid friendly but not simple. I agree that the songs "Science is Real" and "My Brother the Ape" are two to skip for any creationist parents. After having this album on heavy rotation, I got to have the following conversation with one of my 5 year olds:

Mushroom: Where can I get some coal?

Me: Um, in a coal mine?... (pause) Why?

Mushroom: Cause I want to squash it and turn it into a diamond!

It took me WEEKS to figure out that he learned that from the song "Meet the Elements." A minor misconception, but I'm still totally endorsing the album!

We really like all the TMBG albums! Here come the 123s and ABCs are favorites here too.

Both of my kids love Here Comes Science. It's on repeat in their room right now. :D Once in a while, I'll skip "My Brother the Ape" but it has actually opened up some good conversations for us about evolution that we wouldn't have had otherwise.

The Bloodmobile and Electric Car are favorites in this house, and the videos for those two are incredibly cute. Check them out on YouTube, but I doubt you'd be sorry if you picked up all 3 of the Here Come... albums. :)