Menu

Am I the only one not looking forward to starting school again?

I am so happy that we have another month of summer vacation left. We are not starting until September when DS's PS friends go back to school. However, just the thought of starting up again makes me sad. We are having such a great summer and the kids are so happy. School brings back the grind and the tension and the whining and the complaining.

Guest janainaz

Well, we do school year round (3 weeks on, 1 off) and so I don't experience the burnout as much. We are off a week out of the month, so I sometimes do our weeks off back-to-back. We get out and do stuff then. I know that schedule does not work for everyone though. I would go crazy for a long summer break (but I'm in Arizona.... it's hot).

But it's nice that you're having so much fun together that you don't want it to end! That makes for great memories! :)

I totally agree. I love the summertime, and the lack of nagging! We do enjoy homeschooling and would never change, but sometimes when the yellow bus would come down the street, I would look at it longingly. Of course, one child is done with high school and the other two are teens, so they probably wouldn't be on the bus anyhow!

-Anita (Chief nag and whip-cracker)

Usually I look forward to starting up school again, but not this year. I've spent the entire summer dealing with my husband's neck surgery and recovery, my foot problems (seeing a podiatrist next week) and now my daughter has been struggling with food poisoning or some kind of crud for a week.

I'm frankly exhausted and want a vacation!

I almost started crying when I saw the back-to-school supplies this year.

I'm glad I'm not alone. I love love love summer and hanging out and just having fun and being just Mom instead of School Marm Mom.

You're not alone. This year brings some major changes for us with my 16 attending CC full-time. He's still driving on a learner's permit, so this will bring some scheduling challenges for sure.

I could easily think of ways to put off the beginning of the new year, but ready or not, it makes the most sense for us to start when he does--Aug. 23. That date sure is coming up fast! :svengo:

We school year round with very few breaks and we just started our "summer break" this week until Aug 16th and I wish I could stretch it out until..say maybe New Years !! LOL! I'm so tired, my husband is pressuring me to go back to work at least part-time and homeschool and take care of everything else...I feel like saying "calgon take me away!!"

You are not alone.

It's not that I'm not looking forward to it, because I truly am.

It's more like I wish I just had one more month of summer break.

As in, I wish everyone else was in suspended animation for a month so I could feel really caught up and prepared before the start of a new year. Any of you figured out how to do *that* yet???

As in, I wish everyone else was in suspended animation for a month so I could feel really caught up and prepared before the start of a new year. Any of you figured out how to do *that* yet???

It could have something to do with the never ending summer to do list. Maybe we need to stop adding stuff to that list?

That would mean I may not actually get to paint the family room, remodel the laundry room, finish the deck, build patio furniture and 1/2 dozen bookcases in the next 4 weeks. I'd have to pick some tasks to eliminate. Hmmmm.....

Tell me I'm not the only one who does this! :bigear:

I haven't had time to plan anything. We've been too busy going on vacations and whatnot. I took some stuff to plan when I went out of town last month for a few days, but I brought the wrong book. :glare: We still might have one more trip this summer, plus swimming lessons, golf lessons, and who knows what else. I need a vacation from everyone else just so I can get my prep done!:willy_nilly:

Yes, I'm not really looking forward to starting back but for other reasons. We have had numerous trips this summer through 4-H, church mission trips, etc. so I feel like I have done very little planning. I definitely feel behind in that area. My youngest ds has just finished All-Star baseball. He was on a very good team that won for three weeks. However, though that is exciting, it meant no pool or Carrowinds on game days. We had to tailor some things around his schedule and had games most nights. Our church also moved our VBC to last week instead of June, which seemed to take all summer to plan.

Now, we leave for the beach tomorrow!! I'm excited about that and plan to take some of our books to work on planning as we stay at a personal home with a pool. I actually have lots of down time there and hope to get somewhat caught up! But, I also plan on putting it away and hitting the beach as well. All this to say, I feel like we haven't really chilled as much as I like this summer and I know the fall brings more activities and back to the academic grind.

I wish everyone else was in suspended animation for a month so I could feel really caught up and prepared before the start of a new year. Any of you figured out how to do *that* yet???

:iagree:Exactly this. I feel like a just haven't had time to relax this summer. I planned to finish the year and let the stress fall off but that just didn't happen. I have 2 more weeks to finish my planning and do some real deep cleaning before it's back to the grind. Even if I put off beginning school I will have VBS and babysitting. I want to sit down and not move for a week.

I am not looking forward to it at all really. I love being able to putter around, run around, actually get the house cleaned up (sometimes) and fix meals without being a stress case and feeling like everything is falling down around me, which is how I feel at least 2-3 days a week when we do school.

I am not looking forward to it at all really. I love being able to putter around, run around, actually get the house cleaned up (sometimes) and fix meals without being a stress case and feeling like everything is falling down around me, which is how I feel at least 2-3 days a week when we do school.

:iagree:

It's not that I'm not looking forward to it, because I truly am.

It's more like I wish I just had one more month of summer break.

That's where I am right now. My dh teaches public school and the kids start August 2nd. We follow his schedule so that we're off when he is. I sprained my foot really badly this summer and dh broke his arm, so I've not got everything done that I wanted to, and there's only one week left.