Menu

WWYD: Reading Tom Sawyer to Young Children

I am reading The Adventures of Tom Sawyer to my boys right now. They are 6 & 7 y/o, and they have been enjoying the book.

Last night, we were reading in Chapter 6, and Tom and Huck are having a conversation where the "n" word is used several times. I substituted the 'n' word with the word 'negro'. 'Negro' has been used as a descriptor already in the story, and I didn't feel it altered the story by using it as a substitute in the dialogue. I've had others (on a different board) tell me that I should read the story as written, as it ruins the prose of the story.

My thoughts were, when they're old enough to read it for themselves, they'll read the story as it is written, without my edits.

So what would you recommend? Read it as is, or substitute as I have done?

We used a children's version of Tom Sawyer when we read it. I agree with you that I would not want my young children learning that language or the attitudes associated with it.

I forget the name of the children's classic series, but there are several books that they have "toned down" for young children's ears. I am all for it, as long as the books are well written, and they seemed to be.

I plan to do Mark Twain's works, in their original language, when my children are in high school. I think that they will understand the word choices and the social implications better at that age.

Thank you for your replies. :) You've given me something to think about. I realized that I was substituting the word for MY benefit (makes me cringe). Perhaps I'll use the word the next time it comes up and use it as a spring board to discuss racial issues with them.

I would substitute as you did. I feel no need to subject my kids to racial abuse in what is supposed to be the comfort of their own home. When they are pre-teens or teens, they can decide whether they are comfortable reading such things on their own.

Tara

I would substitute, too; I hate that word and can't even bring myself to say it (and I have no problems speaking many words!). As it were, we listened to an unabridged reading, and it was difficult to even listen to it, especially since it's said so many times through out the book. The same with Huck Finn and Uncle Tom's Cabin.

I read Tom Sawyer last year to my boys. I did not substitute. I explained that at the time, the "n" word was not considered a racial slur. It was a common word used back then. I also explained that they were never to repeat that word. They understood and I've never heard them say it. My youngest was 6 and he fully got it. I don't like changing literature, even substituting words. But that's just me.

Guest janainaz

I would not repeat that word, and who cares about prose of a story. My youngest has radar for any bad word spoken and I can just imagine him blurting that one out in the worst possible scenario. Maybe for older kids (10+ that can understand more....).

A little older and I'd read it as written but considering their age I'd sub "negro". In a few years they'll be up for a discussion about the word but right now you just don't know when they, the 6 year old especially, might innocently slip it into conversation and cause someone offense or you embarrassment.