Menu

Ancient history - 3rd grade?

4babybirds

I am just getting back into homeschooling after a couple year break, and am trying to figure out what history to do with my 3rd grader. I will be homeschooling her and also have a preschooler and a toddler at home. I am pretty sure I want to do ancient history, but not sure I want to do SOTW1. What other things are out there that wouldn't be too intensive, but would be enjoyable? I was looking at VP, but would love other suggestions. Preferably from a Christian perspective. We are going to be doing Winter Promise Animals and Their Worlds as our science and language arts.

TIA!

What are your reservations about SOTW? I wouldn't do it without the Activity Guide, honestly--it's just so much easier, and fun, too.

MOH is solid--a lot of Bible integrated into the history of the surrounding peoples. I was going to use it for our second time (logic stage) thru.

If you do look at it, I'd get the revised version.

Veritas Press has Ancient History scheduled for 3rd grade... We will be doing Winter Promise Quest for the Ancient World with 6th + 3rd grader next year. I am supplementing with books from the VP catalogue for 3rd grader, due to the more mature content in books for higher grades.

Thanks for the recommendations.

My reservations with SOTW are mainly that I used it before with my oldest and didn't feel like doing it again. :D But, also because it's not from a Christian perspective. IDK...maybe I'll look at it again, but VP appeals to me more right now. Either way, please keep any ideas coming! Thanks!

We're doing VP Old Testament/Ancient Egypt this year. I use SOTW and also Story of the Ancient World (Guerber/Miller) which goes at it from a Christian perspective. The latter works nicely with the OT portion of our studies, but is not as thorough on the Egypt side of things. I don't like the way SOTW tackles OT narrative, so I don't even bother with those sections of the books. The VP cards will list several sources on the cards, but I don't usually use all of them. I didn't go with all of their literature choices either. I selected other sources from All Through the Ages. My kids really enjoy the maps and medallions. On the CD there is a huge map you can print out and assemble, along with these tiny circles (1" diameter) with line drawings of the cards. When we start a new card the kids paste it where it belongs on the map. nice integration of geography.

We've enjoyed VP thoroughly.

I did SOTW 1 with my 2nd grader last year, so we are ready for MOH 1 this year. We are going to do few lapbooks for Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece, Ancient China and Ancient Rome. I am also looking into Bright Idea Press Folderbooks ( Quarter Two: Kings and Conquerors, especially).

P.S. We are doing "Egypt Files" VBS from AiG this summer,so my child is ready to study Egypt again.